Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Your thoughts on this Shas'Vre configuration
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jun 2006, 17:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Your thoughts on this Shas'Vre configuration

Shas'Vre Team Leader (other two suits are standard Fire Knife) with PR/MP/CIB & hardwired Target Lock, Blacksun Filter, Drone Controller (w/ 2 shield drones), Multi-Tracker, and a Bonding Knife (about 130 pts). I know he's expensive, but to be honest he has the versitilty to be nasty for almost any situation.

What I want to know is anyone else runs this config and if so how did it work for you.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 18:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Your thoughts on this Shas'Vre configuration

In any given game, you're going to have 15 to 30 points of gear on that crisis suit that is unusable.

That's the philosophy against doing everything with your suits: the more versatile they are, the more you are putting points that don't get used onto them.

Simplify, specialize. Our crisis suits are sort of the opposite of everyone else's elites. Designed to fill small gaps in an otherwise powerful army.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 08 Jun 2006, 18:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I feel if the CIB isn't on a unit with BS5, it's not worthwhile~

I think you would be better served removing the CIB, and the Plasma rifle, and subbing in the AFP and maybe a positional relay or somthing
Old 08 Jun 2006, 18:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I agree with knight over there. Give your CIB to a Shas'O or target-array Shas'El, where the range is compensated for by IC status. Usually paired with plasma for an excellent anti-infantry (not just GEQ or MEQ, ALL of them) suit.

Airburst should be on a shas'vre for the same reason: BS3 doesn't matter to it, so its kinda wasting your firing skill on a commander.

The most versatile thing I'd allow my suits to be is standard TA fireknife: plasma and missiles, using whichever's best for the job at the moment. This is actually very much an 'anti-marine' workhorse, designed to pop the rhino AND the termies inside it.

don't just think about what that one model can do.... think about how much you WON'T be doing at any given moment that could instead get done if you put those points onto another model... and how much you'll lose if that model gets popped.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 19:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My Shas'El is in an XV-84 (the Forge World Suit with the Markerlight) and I already have the AFP on a suit in the roster I'm using. I was thinking that I could use the missile pod at range and then when I got close that I would open up with the PR & CIB.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 19:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I agree with whomever said that the CIB should go on a BS5 model (Shas'O or El w/ TA) with a FB. That's how I built mine.

Hitting on 2s and wounding on 5s (with the possibility of AP1) using 5 shots is roughly the equivalent of hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s with two shots

Please note that I did no math whatsoever to back that up; I just kinda "felt" it was alike...
>
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 08 Jun 2006, 22:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
I feel if the CIB isn't on a unit with BS5, it's not worthwhile~

I think you would be better served removing the CIB, and the Plasma rifle, and subbing in the AFP and maybe a positional relay or somthing
Absolutely, the AFP is a deadly weapon against any army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04
Simplify, specialize.
This is the single best piece of advice to date for Tau armies. Any single model can only fire at one target per turn, and occupy only one spot on the board. Thus, have your tank killers kill tanks, meq killers kill meq, ect ect. The only variety I would have would be in weapons that have overlapping roles, aka Plasma/Missile can be decent against side armor, or against MEQ. This variety should be incidental though. You MUST specialize to maximize a unit's potential. Tau is one of the armies where we have too many toys and not enough models.

Although, having the shield drones IS a good idea. 15 points to save a 60 point model is a bargain.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 23:02   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

hmmm... my phiosophy, is that it depends, whether its a single game, or a tournament. In a singles game, you definatley wanna specialize against your enemy, this is only allowed once in a blue moon, seeing as most random challengers dont ask you for a game, a week from tuesday (and the ones who do... well whatever.) more common is the tournament form, where you dont know whats coming towards you, if your army has a theme ex: mech, static, etc. follow that theme, it makes your army stronger, but when running a hybrid army, you gotta be careful, generally, you dont want to bring random thing, as stated above, this army is in need of specialization, put your points where you need them, applying random things isnt good, unless you have a couple of points left over after making your army.

Final Verdict: specialize
Old 08 Jun 2006, 23:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by OShovah
Final Verdict: specialize
Abso-friggin-lutely.
Old 09 Jun 2006, 00:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually, I have a quandry about that right now. See my new post.

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Closed Thread