Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Making Fusses About them Russes
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jun 2006, 09:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Making Fusses About them Russes

Hey Guys, I've got a game for a battle ladder coming up tomorrow, and I'm facing An Armored Company!

Now this should be no big deal for a Tau as the six-odd tanks that are the opponents units should get torched...but...

The only anti-armor in my list is:
1 Broadside (w/Shield drone)
3 Helios Suits (Deep Striking?)
*and kinda anti-armor*
3 Deathrains
1 Ionhead

Now my list is 1250 points and I cannot change it without forfeiting a place on the ladder. The list was also made with the majority of armies in mind...the Armored Company is just a fluke (the others are a good deal of Chaos, Marines, Witch Hunters, Tyranids).

I don't have any experience with an Armored Company and I'm not familiar with the rules specifically 'Evasive Driving', Abilities conveyed to a Tank Commander, and Vanquisher Stats ( I can't find my old 'Guard codex).

I am guessing this sort of list is covered in Imperial Armour (I), but I don't have it so I can't check up on it.

If you guys have any advice, or experience I'd appreciate it.

Both our army lists are listed here:
http://www.dangerplanetgames.com/dpn...&p=65674#65674
(He's the only Armored Company, 3rd from bottom I believe, and I'm the only Tau player, last post)
Old 08 Jun 2006, 09:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Making Fusses About them Russes

Well, if its a standard russ, those deathrains can definitely do the job from the sides... but so can something else.

That's right, drones. Drones, stealthsuits and all those other pulse-weapons can easily land you a good handful of glances.

However, as you've noticed, we're not actually all that specatcular against armor. We have the railgun... and that's it. no 20-lascannons-per-army, no rending death, just the railgun. Its an awesome weapon mind you, especially the multipurpose hammerhead type, but sometimes you just want a little more punch. It also pierces AV14 so you can take out that nasty front armor, so you may want to rethink your ionhead perhaps (on the other hand, it would still be wrecking havoc with 3 shots at a time into side or rear armor...)

Which is where seekers come in. See, I'm not a big fan of melta weapons. Sure, if it was multimelta style range the fusion gun would be excellent. But its not. Its a short-range monster, but that's uncomfortably close when you want to hit that tank before it fires in your general direction.

But those seekers... that's a lot of S8 shots from wherever you want them... Would you happen to have a piranha or two? or a devilfish? You DON'T need LoS for the missile itself (a markerlight from wherever will do; could even be to the front while your missile's aimed at the rear). They're pretty generic 'krak' missiles, but if you can flank or rear-end him, they'll get the job done just as well.

mind you, those helios might do the trick... assuming they land close enough and don't die of course.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 10:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I would have recomended a pathfinder squad to make sure those suits come down in the right place.

Pritty much you will just have to be very careful, and make sure you protect your models fairly well. Try to get as many flank shots as possable, and KEEP MOVING. Try attcking down two flanks at onece so you will always have side/rear shot depending on how they move.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 12:39   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I would advise trying to get the sides, while rail sniping with the XV-88.

Do not try to assault-EMP his tanks, though this normally works wonders, AC can have something that allows him to shoot his sponsons in an assault at I10. If the sponsons are HBolters, you're firewarriors would be mulch. I tried this once.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 13:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau vs AC.

You have to be totaly retared to lose with tau.

Im sorry, but the Rail gun is such a skilless noob cannon. Then they take that noob cannon and mount it on a skimmer, and a unit that can have 2+/4+ and with the drones, in effect has 2 more wounds.

Quote:
1 Broadside (w/Shield drone)
3 Helios Suits (Deep Striking?)
*and kinda anti-armor*
3 Deathrains
1 Ionhead
But that is kinda sad.

bump it up to at least two broadsides, and get a rail head and your in the money.

Old 08 Jun 2006, 14:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It does seem that where this forum lacks in the ability to read, we have more than enough ability to type to compensate -_-'

1st: what's anti mag?

With your list, I would say you have an uphill battle.

Your list of weapons are quite accurate, all your S5 or less weapon will have very little to do unless you can get them to the rear of the enemy vehicle.

So let's see what each of your units are going to have to try to accomplish.

Shas'O. I see he is kitted to kill infantry, and would be perfect in nuking the storm troopers. his low strength weapons won't do very much against enemy tanks so keep him hidden, protected by IC, and go hunt those storm troopers.

Your 4 stealth suits are in the same pickle, they cannot hope to get to the rear armor of these things even with the jetpak AND infiltrate. the enemy will just hose them down with all thos auto cannon and HB shots at close range where their stealth won't help.

Your two furious fishes can have uses against the armor, but should help your anti storm troopers deal with the chimera first. Try to do a FoF against the chimera's side. your mobility should be to your advantage in accomplishing this. However, do so out of sight of the russes if possible because they will wipe out your FWs with any of thier weapons.

If your two Furious fishes managed to take care of the chimera w/o being annihilated, or your stealth/ shas'o managed to do so w/o their help, then they should hug terrain and try to close with the enemy russes, to try to get at their backs. If he deploys with back all along the board, you'll have to entice him to move using your mobility to avoid LOS, and close in on him all the while. It looks like the plans to move with his exterminators tho (evasive driving needs to move right?) Otherwise, play coy with your fishes to preserve victory points.

Now for your anti armor items.

your xv8 suits should deep strike. All of them. The normal deterrence against Tau deepstrike is no jump back and CC threat. This does not apply against this army. Normally with no pathfinders around i would be wary of deepstriking, but this case is special and rather desparate. If your suits have to hug terrain and close in on the ground, he has a good chance of tearing you apart on the way in, and nullifying your anti tank weapons.

Eventhough you have positional relay, i'm not sure you should use it. Depending on how he deploys, you may want to keep the xv15 suits in reserve too, eventhough they're not going tank hunting, so you can use it to "delay" your suits arrival, and try to get them to arrive at the same time on the 3rd turn for maximum suppression effect on the return fire.

your 2 units can only target one tank at a time each, and has a good chance of deviating. If they land on target, however, they have a good chance to take out that tank, atleast knock them around abit because of their weight of fire.

here you just have to rely on luck, for the scatter and good armor pen rolls. A word of advice on target selection though. If possible, try to target the normal russes. they can instagib your deepstrikeing suits that are now nice and clustered for his pie plate. if they're too tightly packed, and this is not possible, target the deepstrike so that you're on the OTHERSIDE of the wreak from the normal russes and keep your fingers crossed.

The uses for your heavy support are self explanatory. try to get to his side armor with the tank, and just keep shooting with your XV88, he probably wont last though.

Try to pull your ion head as far up one side of the board as possible, and maybe keep him behind terrain. This may cause all the tanks to turn to face him and give you more breathing room for the deep strikers. in any even, try to spread out your forces to force him to choose his armor facings, and minimize return damage you take from templates.

this is an uphill battle, but sounds fun. Goodluck
Old 08 Jun 2006, 15:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Knight pegged that sucker on the head. Deepstriking suits have the ablility to kill a russ, and by splitting up your forces which will make him pick either the ionhead to face or the broadside, you should have an advantage then.

All of his doctrines have to do with meele and grenades, so no loss there.

Either way, with the ammount of AP3 stuff he has, this is going to be a nasty nasty fight.

IG Armored Company list site:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapter...%2Darmylist/1/
Old 08 Jun 2006, 15:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

anti-mag: the tank is coated in a anti magnetic paste that gives the tank a 4+ save against grenade weapons including metla bombs.

Evasive driving: THe tank is trained to run things over if it moved last turn and is charged by infantry each assualting model takes a wound on a 4+ with armour saves allowed.

Other then that he has pretty basic stuff allot of H Bolters so watch out and dont charge his tank with infantry, he would get a 4+ vs their grenades and your infantry would take a hit on a 4+. It looks like you are in for a fight. Yeah you ogt a railgun but he has 6 tanks that means you have to kill one a turn with your single broad side. But im willing to bet that broad side is going to be a prime target by as many guns as he can bring to bear so i wouldn't give it a long life expectancy. The deep striking helios is a good bet, drop them in from behind and rip him to shreads. Other then that good luck to ya its going to be hard.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 15:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Helios really arent bad at taking out armor. He may have 6 tanks but thats pretty much all he has and with the deathrains and Ionhead you have a fair amount of light armor power and the Helios is a great pattern for taking out tanks. Your Railgun should not be your main focus. Get your enemy to target the Ionhead and Broadside as top priority and with a little luck your suits will remain mostly ignored until its too late. Get the deathrains around to hit side armor if possible and drop the helios behind to hit rear armor. With 3 of them even BS 3 shouldnt stop you from taking out those pesky tanks. Its not going to be exactly easy but it shouldnt be overly hard anyway. No more so than facing any other foe.

Old 08 Jun 2006, 15:54   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

The largest problem with the AC is the masses of 14 armour, meaning you'll have to get around it, literally. So DS's suits/drones etc, and fast movement will be the easiest way.

Never count on your railguns to take out all the tanks, as the amount of times mine misses for example, in a six turn game, I got 1 shot hit. Out of 6 turns. My opponents do not often worry bout downing my HH now. Rely on other things, your helios, and others. Railguns are not trustworthy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Closed Thread