Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A few questions
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jun 2006, 02:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A few questions

OK guys... i have a fuew questions that need some answers and since u guys are the best tau minds in the business... it only makes since to ask u :-\

question 1.
can the devilfish be brought separately???
what i mean is can you just by a devilfish by its self???

question 2.
if so, can you put sting wings in them???
if you can do this, why not have a full team inside one as protectsion???

question 3.
what would be better (in Ur opinion) fire warriors with pulse rifles in a devilfish, fire warriors with pulse rifles standing back and shooting, fire warriors with pulse carbines in a devilfish or fire warriors with pulse carbines running around the broad by them selves???
i just got my 3rd box of troops and need to know what to give them, i already have 2 squads with pulse rifles (1 in a devilfish and the other on foot)

question 4.
shod i get any kroot or sting wings???
so far i have a 1800 pts meck tau army that just has normal tau, and I've been told to get some but should i consider it???

our advanced research has concluded the fowling things
1. all good things come to an end
2. the universe doesn't end there for it is evil
3. the grater good will die, so enjoy it while it lasts
4. George bush will be the president of the USA for ever and ever
Old 08 Jun 2006, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: tau Q&A (answers needed)

1- no devilfish by itself

2- no transport for the stingwings

3- fire warriors with pulse carbine should walk, and rifles shouldn't, otherwise, all other configs have their own merits. Test their style of play for fit.

4- kroot and stingwings have their uses, you should get them, but save the kroot ox for later b/c they are not as essential if you have any msl pods running around.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 02:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

1. no, it is a transport and as such must be bought for a unit.

2. no, they are not allowed to take transports period.

3. personally I feel that the pulse rifles are the best and it is good to mount them, however there is something to be said about a unit of pulse carbines with EMP grenades swooping in on a devilfish, only to blow up your opponents tanks and then pin their troops as they exit.

4. I feel that kroot are a very good unit, although not perfect and also not mandatory. As far as the stingwings are concerned, I have yet to fully make a decision on them.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 04:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernejo
OK guys... i have a few questions that need some answers and since u guys are the best tau minds in the business... it only makes since to ask u :-\

question 1.
what i mean is can you just by a devilfish by its self???

question 2.
if you can do this, why not have a full team inside one as protectsion???

question 3.
what would be better (in Ur opinion) fire warriors with pulse rifles in a devilfish, fire warriors with pulse rifles standing back and shooting, fire warriors with pulse carbines in a devilfish or fire warriors with pulse carbines running around the broad by them selves???
i just got my 3rd box of troops and need to know what to give them, i already have 2 squads with pulse rifles (1 in a devilfish and the other on foot)

question 4.
so far i have a 1800 pts meck tau army that just has normal tau, and I've been told to get some but should i consider it???
The other guys nailed the first two, so...
3 I play mech tau, therefor the answer from me is either pulse rifles or carbines in a devilfish. I would say rifles, as it gives you so much more flexibility and power. True, you have to be better at judging 12" when FOFing and lose the pinning abilities, but IMO the trade offs are worth it. If you can crush an enemy you don't need to pin it. :funny:

However, I have a bias. I have only rarely used carbines in proxying. Also, I have been doing FOF for a while, and it takes a while to learn distance, which (I don't know) you may or may not be good at, so the pains of losing a firewarrior squad to assault has faded in my memory.

4 I Love my kroot, so my answer is yes. They can be incredibly usefull. Infiltrating, charging, mass firepower- it's great, and a welcome change of pace from the rest of my mech Tau. One of my favorite maneuvers is infiltrating kroot as a lure. Then I use a commander with an AFB and twin linked missile pods as well as a FOF to annihilate the enemy after they have been weakened by the kroot, who draw back once the enemy gets <12" away. Mm mm, Kauyon goodness. ;D

Hope that's helpfull,
Shas 'El Ukos

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Old 08 Jun 2006, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: A few questions on transports.

Quote:
question 1.
Nope
Quote:
question 2.
Nope
Quote:
question 3.
what would be better (in Ur opinion) ...)
I like putting 8 PR and 4 PC into a devilfish. If you have a full squad of PC I'd leave them to do the foot work. With a full unit of PR I'd either sit back and shoot, or mount them up in a devilfish.
Quote:
question 4.
I've used kroot quite a bit, but haven't put together my Vespids yet. Both are unique units, so I'd say its a good buy. They both give you more options, and bring something different to the army which can be refreshing and fun, even if they don't preform too well on the table top. My kroot for instance always die, or fall off the table. But they also always take the brunt of any assaults (against SMs mostly) which is what I need them to do. They may not win, but they always keep help tie up my opponents assault troops and keep my own Tau out of HTH.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 08:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

OK then...

if i tack a squad of kroot, what should i give them and how many should i get???

also...

if i was to take a squad of fire warriors with pulse carbines what should i give them???

our advanced research has concluded the fowling things
1. all good things come to an end
2. the universe doesn't end there for it is evil
3. the grater good will die, so enjoy it while it lasts
4. George bush will be the president of the USA for ever and ever
Old 08 Jun 2006, 08:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
if i tack a squad of kroot, what should i give them and how many should i get???
Hounds.

This seems an appropriate thread to ask. Do you have to stay in coherency to your transport?

Freezing
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 08 Jun 2006, 10:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

there is no rule that you have to stay in unit coherency with your transport when you buy it for a squad. in fact one of my favorite tactics with my pathfinders is to use it to drop them off and then run it elsewhere on the board, basically making a pincer attack with just one unit.

as for kroot, mine consist of 19 kroot, one shaper, and 6 kroot hounds (although I do plan on getting 6 more). the only thing that I don't get with the unit is the upgraded save which is worthless, and the krootox which takes away my infiltrating.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 11:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Vespid are extreamly useful. They may not cause extream amount of damage, but say S5 AP3 to a Space Marine player, and they will do anything they can to kill them. However, you can stop this using there immense speed, and by sitting them in cover (after running!) They are best used to finesh off thoselittle annoying units, and are brillient for taking out devestator type units. They do have uses againsdt other armies, although not as effecient. Oh... and they work wonders (as everything does!) with a pathfinder unit to remove cover saves and increase Bs. If you realy need to they can be sent into combat as there high I lets them attack first against nearly anything. However, this is highly inadvisable, and only insituations when it removes you from being shot, and the enimy squad must not be too big.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 17:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

You don't even have to deploy next to your transport or in it!

Kroot should be 10 with nothing, or 20 with nothing or shaper for leadership. Maybe hounds.

Quote:
if i was to take a squad of fire warriors with pulse carbines what should i give them???
Pulse rifles. =p Seriously, leave the carbines to the drones who can use them better for only 2 points more. You can also put both weapons on the model, (one on the backpack) leaving you free to use whichever you choose (provided you list what the squad is using in the army list beforehand! You only get one weapon in a game.)
Closed Thread