Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deep Striking in Cover- Dangerous or Not?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jun 2006, 21:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Deep Striking in Cover- Dangerous or Not?

Hey- I'm kind of confused. :huh:
If you deep strike a unit (say some stealth's) and they land in difficult- not impassible- terrain (say a city ruin), would they be destroyed?
Also, would they have to take a dangerous terrain result for using their jump packs and ending their move in difficult terrain?
I already know that they would be destroyed were it impassible terrain, so that's not an issue.
I also know that they can't move or assault move on the turn they deep strike, so technically they aren't using jump packs in difficult terrain on that turn- or are they?
Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Old 07 Jun 2006, 22:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Deep Striking in Cover- Dangerous or Not?

Deep striking into dangerous terrain is the same as jump jetting (or jetpack-ing) into dangerous terrain.. they have to take a hazerdous terrain test... where a 1 means SPLAT!

Of this much I'm sure. The grey area is with teleporting Terminators, or burrowing Ravenors doing the same thing... I'm pretty sure they take a hazardous terrain test as well, on the fluff that the terminator may teleport halfway through a tree or wall, or a Ravenor may loosen up a 20 ton boulder just below the surface.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 22:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Troops coming in via deepstrike isn't using their "jump infantry" special ability to do it. Heck, they're not even "moving." so no test.

Even if you want to argue that they're using their jetpack to deepstike, then I would say that since all jump infanry are not required to use their jump packs and can move as infantry if they wish. So my xv8s are deepstriking as infantry. There-no more test
Old 07 Jun 2006, 23:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, well now im really confused
those were both arguments that I had thought of, and I just got two conflicting answers.
Also, with COD coming out, say you have a biulding with a wide, flat roof that both players say is structurally sound and so doesn't need a difficult terrain test to cross, or a dangerous terrain test to jump pack onto. Do you still have to take a dangerous terrain test to drop onto it via deep strike?

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Old 08 Jun 2006, 02:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok so the rules for deep strike are on page 84. No where in the section does it address dangerous terrian and the tests. The rules for terrian are located on page 17, and they make no mention of deepstriking or deployment into terrian (because deep strike is a deployment). On these grounds I say no to any test.

The only objection could be that deep strike is a reserves move and therefor subject to dangerous terrian tests.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 02:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

but then, even if you DO move, you can say you're moving as infantry, so no danger check as infantry don't have to do danger check when going into diff terrain.

And you don't need jumppack to deepstrike, and you can have jumppack without being able to deep strike so the two are not neccessarily correlated. for all we know the suits are deployed in quake 2 style shells that pops open on landing!
Old 08 Jun 2006, 03:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

First off, I know it would be making it worse on my part to argue this side, but it just seems more logical and less like rules lawyering to me this way.
Well, in he 'Dex it shows pics of an ethereal and his bodyguard deploying form an orca drophip into battle on page 7 (soooooo cool, that's why I play tau... but that's beside the point). The crisis suits are obviously deploying via jet pack, while the ethereal is kind of gliding/hovering/falling. In my opinion that means he's using his jet packs. I mean, no matter how he deploys, he runs the risk of a jet pack malfunction/being impaled on the spiky bits on the new COD buildings/falling through the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
but then, even if you DO move, you can say you're moving as infantry, so no danger check as infantry don't have to do danger check when going into diff terrain.

And you don't need jumppack to deepstrike, and you can have jumppack without being able to deep strike so the two are not necessarily correlated. for all we know the suits are deployed in quake 2 style shells that pops open on landing!
Even if he deployed via drop pod the drop pod, the thing could still get shredded by the building.
IMO, if the fire caste dropped their suits without the use of their jet packs, you would end up with a nano-crystalline composite armoured pancake on the ground where the suit should be. :funny:

Scientia potentia est
Old 08 Jun 2006, 05:28   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

In all fairness, I would probably suggest taking the test, although I believe Exokan and Knight Actual are technically correct by the letter of the rules. It is not all that clear. There should not be any reason why a Crisis suit using his thrusters to jump into a forest would be any more at risk than one dropping in from low orbit.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 06:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

You take a DT test when moving into-through terrain, etc. When a unit Deep strikes it may not move. So if they unit cannont move the turn it enters, and you need to move into/through dangerous terrain, how can you end up taking a dangerious terrain test.

And deep stirke represents several modes of trasport, true the Tau would use thier jet packs, but Terminators would teleport in, and Tyranids would burrow underground. It sounds logical that Tau Jump units would be required too, (flying into trees and such). But could you say the same for a tryranid burrowing out of the ground. Would they jump out and run into a tree? Again it sounds somewhat logical to require a test but the rules don't support it in any way.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 13:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

it matters little anyways, if he's a D'Y I about it, then just roll, and take the 1 probable wound. (3 suits normally right?) remember you don't go splat anymore, you just lose a wound.

and hey look, the rule says that you roll for EACH MODEL and that the MODEL takes a wound, so if you don't have drones, you can never lose a suit to dangerous terrain tests.

still, the chances are so slim, your opponent's got to be a real DY'I to argue with you about this.
Closed Thread