Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you build your models?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jun 2006, 15:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How do you build your models?

Ive been wondering over the past few days, how do you experts make your models?
I dont know whether to paint the seperate parts and build the model after, or build the model and then struggle to paint the model in the hard areas.
It would be great if you experts could tell me how you make your models, or if you have an alternative and better way to make your models. I think it may be useful for others to know aswell.
Please post!
Thankyou, Baracuda 4!
Old 07 Jun 2006, 15:22   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: How do you make your models

There are as many ways to go about it as there are painters..however some of the more tried and true systems work better then others. The ones I use are either paint the whole model on the sprue and cut and assemble later or Assemble then paint while leaving fiddly bits (painted on the sprue) to last then add them on. Not rocket science. I find some models need that extra attention that painting separate parts provides, however if this is for a gaming piece then it may save you time to only half assemble then paint the areas you would not normally be able to get at. Just my 2 cents.

"Hope" is not a strategy.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 15:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

"depends"

if there are bits that would be really hard to get to, but easy to see after assembly, then those bits stay off, and only gets put on after painting. (i can't think of one for tau models, except for my converted ones with a little crazier poses)

usually tho, i just glue/pin/putty everything in place first, then paint everything. the models stay together much better that way.

if YOU can't see it, chances are nobody else will either, so those places can just have black/gray splotched in to hide it further.

Old 07 Jun 2006, 15:42   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks guys, thats helped me quite a bit.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 16:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

For most models, I glue them up and paint. I've got a new, heavily converted crisis suit I'm working on that I'm leaving the arms off until painted, as they will really make it hard to paint and I want to do a good job.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 16:55   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: How do you build your models?

My suggestion is to use a pin vise and small pins. Assemble the main torso as one piece, and then pin the arms in place without gluing them. In this way, you can remove the arms to get at hard-to-reach parts of the body, but you do not have to paint the parts as completely seperate components. When you are happy with how the body is painted, glue the pins. This also makes the model much stronger.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 17:36   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

There are a few different ways to approach this....

1) If you generally use a Black undercoat, you can get away with putting together your models and then painting them. Anything you cannot reach will be covered by the black and the eye will not be drawn to it.

2) If you undercoat them in white, then you should get the basic colours on the model first, assemble it and then do the final highlights and blending

I'm sure there are other ways to achieve great results, but the only real way to determine which works best for you is to experiement. Just rememeber to enjoy yourself!

Good Luck

LIG
Old 07 Jun 2006, 21:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, the main problem I have with painting then assmebly is that you can't file the mold lines off the model and all the annoying stuff from the spruce, because you will sand off your paint job along with it.
I always assemble then paint. The exception to this rule (and there is one for every rule) is painting bright colored marines. With my blood angels, I would snip and file eveyrthing, then assemble it all except the gun, paint it, and then glue the gun on and paint it. This way you can carefully paint the chest eagle.
But... we aren't doing blood angels, are we?
So my short anwer is always snip, file, assemble, spray, paint.
Hope that helps you, and doesn't just confuse you and make you paint chest eagles on your tau.

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Old 07 Jun 2006, 21:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, I'm in a rush, so i didnt read the above post (im sorry if i re-state somthing) but i always snip first, then i file down, so that they CAN be glued somwhere, then i paint, this allows me to reach any other unreachable spot with great ease, instead of slipping up, and having to repaint a ton of the model. then i glue it on, if i need more filing i do so, and then touch up, until the model is "perfect", when all the part come to gether, i ook to see where things happened with shadow, that throw the figure out of whack, and once again i fix it, this is very tedious, but the finished product is worth it.

So in short Cut, File, Paint, Glue, Touchup
The artists view, on how he/she wants to approach this is entirly personal though. so good luck!
Old 08 Jun 2006, 00:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I can't stand painting model pieces before they're glued together. There is nothing to weigh them down, and in my opinion, they come out looking just plain dreadful, (I try painting space marine heads for trophy racks). So, I always build, then paint. It's just my thang.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Closed Thread