Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Please rate my 1500pt (ish) Tau army
Closed Thread
Old 03 Dec 2004, 16:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Please rate my 1500pt (ish) Tau army

I mostly play space marines, chaos space marines and eldar (biel-tan or alitoch)
Please give suggestions on how to expand (i want 2000 pts soon) or ideas to change....

HQ -

Shas'o, Fusion Blaster, Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Hard Wired Multi-tracker

ElLITES -
XV8 Crisis team leader, missile pod, plasma rifle, multiracker, hard wired drone controller with 2 gun drones
XV8 Crisis team leader, missile pod, plasma rifle, multiracker, hard wired drone controller with 2 gun drones

TROOPS -
12 Fire Warriors, all with pulse rifles, 1 Shas'ui
14 Kroot Carnivores
14 Kroot Carnivores

FAST ATTACK-

6 Pathfinders, 3 with rail rifles, 1 Shas'ui with hard wired drone controller and 2 gun drones
6 Pathfinders, 3 with rail rifles, 1 Shas'ui with hard wired drone controller and 2 gun drones
Devilfish (dont tell me i should have 2 of these!) with targetting array and flechette dischargers

HEAVY SUPPORT -

Hammerhead, Railgun, 2 Burst Cannon, Target Lock
2 Broadsides with Railguns and smart missiles, 1 with target lock, 1 with drone controller, team leader (the one with target lock has hard wired drone controller), 4 shield drones
1 Broadside with Railguns and smart missiles, drone controller, 2 shield drones.

I have not included costs because i have probably made some mistakes and just want ideas on how to improve/expand this force, thanks....

Old 03 Dec 2004, 17:04   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Labes
Default Re: Please rate my 1500pt (ish) Tau army

More Fire Warriors... most people, at 1500 have 3 FW and 1 Kroot, but I guess 2 and 2 is good if you can handle it... Well for expansion, as I said earlier, more fire warriors, at least another squad of them. And Stealthsuits, team of 6.

You have... 1687 points (unless I screwed up) there. Another 12 FW w/Shas'Ui and 6 Stealthsuits would take you to 1997... Though if you drop the Shas'Ui's on the FWs then you can free up 30 points to put on a couple seeker missiles to provide some more use for the Pathfinders' markerlights.

Um... but yes, you should have 2 of the Devilfish, incase you thought you could fit 12 models in it, they have to be in the same unit, but don't yell at me...
Old 03 Dec 2004, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the adivce, its actually about 1550, ive got some very cunning rule twisting ways of keeping points costs down! Also the group of friends i play with have decided that i dont have to take a devilfish for every pathfinder team as we all think that rule is uneccesery, so there you go ! i dont really have much use for it in battle, in never actually transports troops, just tank shocks and tries to cause mayhem!
Old 03 Dec 2004, 17:47   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Heh, well that's good, it's always great when the people you play with will allow you to alter small rules to play how you, and they, wanted you to.

Hmm... well since you have an extra 100 popints... a Gun Drone Squadron of 8 could take that up. And it'd give your opponents some surprise when they drop behind them to eat up the back armor of their tanks.

And I heard form a few places that if you expect to be facing Marines alot, then an Ion cannon on the Hammerhead is good... Though other than the extra shots, I don't really know why it's better, since it has less AP and Str... Still enough to wound marines easy enough though, and negate their armour save (at least for most units)...

Edit: As you said in your other thread, the one about killing eldar, you use massed Pulse Rifle fire... yet only two teams of them! I think you should drop a squad of kroot to pick up another team (but you'll have to free up other points too...), at least for 1500 points...
Old 03 Dec 2004, 17:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I probably need 4 12 man strong squads or FW's for a 200pt army your right, the reaosn i had so many kroot was so screen the rest of my army with the 3rd edition rules, now i guess theres no point with the 4th ed rules so i might just do that thanks! I ve never used deep strike before so im not sure about doing that thing with gun drones, can i still fire when i deepstike? if so it sound a nice idea to distract the enemies fire power, the only problem is i dont actually have enough drones for al the uses i want them for. Its annoying you cant buy drones seperatly, they would be pretty cheap to for a box set of say 8....
Old 03 Dec 2004, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah, you can still shoot, but count as having moved. (Page 84 of the 4th ed. book)\

Does kinda suck that you can't buy drones seperatly... But you get 2 with a FW box, and 2 with each XV8 I think... *checks the GW website* Unless you buy the 3 Crisis Suit set, then you only get 3 drones... odd...

But still, drones add up, especially if you're like me and you aren't planning on using any... then you really notice how many you have...
Old 03 Dec 2004, 18:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

hmmm, so a squad of 8 gun drones deepstirkes behind a whirlwind (aka fire warrior killer) and fires 8 shots...im no mathmatician but i think 5 will hit, and 1 of those will probably glance or penetrate....pretty i good i suppose
Old 03 Dec 2004, 18:22   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Actually 4 will hit (4.4 actually...)

Glance on a 5, Penetrate on a 6... So 1.5 of them should either glance or penetrate... So, there's a chance that it'll work, though in practice you'll roll all 6's in any game that doesn't count or if you're just having some fun rolling dice, and then all 1's in an actual game...
Old 03 Dec 2004, 23:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In my experince if you take crisis suits with weapons that have a low rate of fire, you must twinlink them. The BS of three they all have will eat up your shots with misses, and from my limited understanding when you twin link it gives you an effective BS of (4.5). The only things I take un-twinlinked are high rate of fire weapons like missle pods or burst cannons. All the other stuff I like.
In some of my posts I may mention my feelings, opinions, and/or some facts about various armies. These comments are in no way meant to hurt or insult any quality players, with well planned (sometimes painted) armies. The quality of "Cheese" is limited to the specific individual and can only be enhanced/diminished by any imbalance due to game design, codex creep, or by not having a new codex for eight years. Any posted comments are not intended for any army as a whole.
Thank you, and goodnight.
Old 04 Dec 2004, 05:14   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to heaven

HQ -
Shas'o, Fusion Blaster, Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Hard Wired Multi-tracker <------- 1st : Shas'el is better than Shas'o , 2nd : If you want short range weapon then it really better to Twin-Link it, but if you Twin-Link you'll cant use the MP then choose Between Anti-Tank or "FireKnife"

ElLITES -
XV8 Crisis team leader, missile pod, plasma rifle, multiracker, hard wired drone controller with 2 gun drones <--- ahh man do squad of 2 and hmm.. remove drones :\

TROOPS -
14 Kroot Carnivores
14 Kroot Carnivores

good.. exept kroot .. max. 'em .. dont use 14 per squad :S

FAST ATTACK-

6 Pathfinders, 3 with rail rifles, 1 Shas'ui with hard wired drone controller and 2 gun drones <--- remove drones ;\ and put the 6 with carbine in a squad and the rifles in the other
Devilfish (dont tell me i should have 2 of these!) with targetting array and flechette dischargers <--- sorry but you need to have two.. with pathfinders MUST have one

HEAVY SUPPORT -

Hammerhead, Railgun, 2 Burst Cannon, Target Lock
2 Broadsides with Railguns and smart missiles, 1 with target lock, 1 with drone controller, team leader (the one with target lock has hard wired drone controller), 4 shield drones <--- use shield generator instead of target lock and drone controller.. remove them all!
1 Broadside with Railguns and smart missiles, drone controller, 2 shield drones. <--- same here.. use TL-PR with this 1
and use broadside alone..

if you want to know why i'd tell you all this send me a message and we'll can talk on MSN or something like this ..
Closed Thread