Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Jump packs and buildings
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jun 2006, 01:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Jump packs and buildings

i was wondering. with jump infantry if they land in difficult terrain, they have to take a dangerous terrain test.

and me and my friend are sorta stuck on how to base that rule when jumping in my assult phase with any of my jump units onto the second level of a building.

said building is like a house without a roof, no stairs to get to second level, and 2 walls missing.

he thinks i should roll because its a size 3 building(understandable), and that it requires normal troops to roll difficult terrain tests to get up there(i say thats pointless because they are jump infantry)

where as i think it does not require a roll because the area where they are staying is a flat stable area, i dont have to roll the terrain test when i jump over a wall onto a raised piece of terain.

what do you guys think.
Ties:1
Old 07 Jun 2006, 02:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Jump packs and buildings

If the building is classed as difficult terrain and you land in it while using a jump pack move you need ot make a dangerous terrain test. That applies even if you make the move in the assault phase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 02:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Ask him this - if a squad were standing on the roof, would they have to take a check to walk to the other edge? No, they wouldn't. Therefore the top of the roof is not difficult terrain, so landing there does not invoke a test. No intervening terrain matters to a model with a jetpack, even impassible terrain. (95% sure on that...)

However, this can make Tau absolute ownage on some city boards. I recommend you designate some rooftops, even if flat, as "unsafe." Area terrain is usually just a flat piece with movable trees and rocks or whatever. Think of the roof the same way. There might be antennae or wires to get tangled in, loose masonry, weak roofing that you can fall through... it would make fluff sense to allow some roofs that appear flat on the table to be dangerous for something weighing several hundred pounds to land on.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 02:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually if the whole building is difficult terrain even walking across the roof requires a test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 03:52   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok i understand the roof, but on this preticular building there is no roof, just a main floor and second floor, we concider getting up to the second floor difficult(as they would have to climb) but do not require to roll difficult terrain if moving on the second floor.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 06:07   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I agree with DireStrike. You are testing two different things. A building is a structure, not area terrain, so it is going to have slightly abstract rules. If infantry have to make difficult terrain tests to move around on the second floor, you are going to have to pass a dangerous terrain test to land there. If they only have to pass a difficult terrain test to climb up, then you can land normally. Cityfight dealt with a lot of this by dealing more specifically with buildings. I don't have Cities of Death yet, by I assume that it addresses it as well.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 08:50   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thats what i thought, thanks
Old 07 Jun 2006, 12:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In Cities of Death the whole building is difficat terain if it is ruined (like yours) , and counts as area terrain, with some rules for unit coherancy and firing accros/over/down from. Unruind buildings are impassable, although you can land on them if ther's space.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 12:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The way we play it here is that buildings are all difficult terrain in all 3 dimensions. infantry always roll difficult to move around anywhere in the building, and the building is area 3 by default unless it's a very solid and whole looking terrain. So yes, you can jump onto/into the building w/o penalty, but then you'd have to take dangerous test like anyone else.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 12:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

We play as all buildings being difficult terrain, as all our buildings are ruined, and we assume broken building materials and weakened structure.
Closed Thread