Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau hover boats
Closed Thread
Old 03 Dec 2004, 12:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default tau hover boats

does anyone know how to make one or where i could find a sight? I have a board with lots of water on it and the tau would need one how else would you attack a water planet?

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
Old 03 Dec 2004, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: tau hover boats

Devilfish and Hammerhead could hoover above the water as well.
They can fly above impassable terrain or finish they turn above it.
Old 03 Dec 2004, 15:46   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The general ruling is that certain terrain features can be "hovered over" using Skimmers if they are excessively prevalent. An example would be using the Jungle Fighting rules from Codex: Catachans, where almost all the board is Jungle. In this case, Skimmers count Jungle as open terrain, providing they are moving above it, not through it.

Likewise, providing your skimmers don't go diving into the ocean, they can float above the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 03 Dec 2004, 20:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Um, how bout regular boats?
Or you could go and check out some of the halo/halo 2 concept sketches for covenat veicheals, they'ed probably work well.
Old 03 Dec 2004, 20:48   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Somehow I doubt Tau would use "conventional" boats, and if they did, it would be for non-military use only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 03 Dec 2004, 21:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why not?
I know Tau are supposed to have super advanced tech, but why waste resources building boats to "hover over water" if its only goning to get them over water, the devilfish perfictly fufills the role of hover transport, and it goes over land and sea (well were assuming it can go over sea, but i dont see why it couldent), so why build a hover boat when you already have one. An army can live or die depending on how it uses its resources, and hover boats seems to be a big waste of resources.
Old 03 Dec 2004, 23:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

agreed. why build what you don't need
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 03 Dec 2004, 23:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

But what if these were like small squad sized boats designed for just deploying troops via water? in which case it could be a small vehicle thats drone controlled or something and maybe self destructs or camaflages itself when not in use or it has filled a particular role. The thing is, a devilfish may not fit a particular role, I mean its pretty obvious when theres a massive tank flying at you from a distance.. It'll still be obvious with say small boats.. but not as obvious.. making your own would allow you to make your own rules and maybe include things like vehicle stealth tech or something.. But anyway, this is what i'm considering as crazedmongoose and I are planning on making a D-Day board..
Old 03 Dec 2004, 23:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kre Mont re

+++You'd also need to have boats for your opponent if pretty much the whole board is water, unless they're Tau, Eldar or DE as well (or Guard I suppose as Chimeras are aquatic for some strange reason). You could get some ideas from here+++

+++Oh, and for Tau ideas, you could make subs instead, as not only would they seem more techie and therefore suited to the Tau, but they'd also fulfill the role of stealth even better than normal boats+++
Old 28 Dec 2004, 17:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the sub idea but I was not thinking of transports as much as battleship or somthing

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
Closed Thread