Monat Crisis: a Tactica
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jun 2006, 20:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang
Default Monat Crisis: a Tactica

Greetings, Commanders,

For Tau'va long live the Empire!

now that the pleasantries are out of the way I'd like to share a littile of my experience o Oneman crisis suits or the "monat"
[size=14pt]
One man Army?[/size]

Let's start at the begging then, the crisis battlesuit teams can be fielded as a single battlesuit, there are several advantages and disadvantages with this which I'll look at as i go along;

firstly the team has to be bought, this can cost anything between 50 to upward of a hundred points -depending on what you want it to do depends on o you equip it, there are many other tactica's on this such as equipped for tank hunting or character sniping,

However, the suit only has two wounds and to give it battlesuit wargear you need to upgrade it to a teamleader at least making it more expensive, however, you can not increase it's wounds, this means that the opposing player has to commit more firepower to remove those wounds (i.e. an entire squad since they are normally deprived of target locks)

this means that whilst they shoot at the monat they don't shoot anything else, but if you want to be able to take a beating (as they will probably fall from a single squads shooting)then consider giving it a shield generator and stimms, or take utmost advantage of cover (as taught in JSJ 101)

now the army section, he monat is sometimes overlooked but their flexibility is incredible, they can be sent to help damage and kill larger targets, deepstrike were needed and Take objectives

as a monat is a unit it can take objectives and table quarters, so in the last few turns, rather than JSJ consider risking a rush toward the nearest or most valuable objective, however he will still need cover, one well placed Krak missile is all that is needed to ruin its day

[size=14pt]Moral[/size]

the monat will, whilst it is alive generally be a lot more fearless than a team of 2 or 3, this is fitting since monats are normally formed when their battlebrothers are killed so they have experienced death of comrades,

this means that, as one model it ill not run away or suffering 25% casualties and it won't run off the field for being below 50% - unfortunately the tradeoff is that it is not as protected as in a team and will die quicker if left in the open (but those who know how to use JSJ can lower this risk, and as there is only one model it is easier to hide than 3)

[size=14pt]Deepstrike?[/size]

as a crisis suit it is able to deepstrike, however a monat has limited weaponry and damage isn't maximised unless template weapons are taken, but this requires deepstriking dangerously close to the enemy, and if you scatter into them that's a few VP's to your opponent for having a unit on the table.

so to avoid this you need to either deepstrike away from the enemy where it is safe but can't do too much, or close but risk going off course, before you deepstrike look at what it is equipped with, look at where you need support,what type of support is needed and whether the battlesuit can supply it. If you need an objective taking hen send a heavily armoured battlesuit to hold t if it is available early on or a lighter armoured one in the later turns, if a tank needs taking out ABF's and flamers won't do much so maybe you should deepstrike him nearer a weak unit in cover or an objective, which may pull enemy forces to the objective (as commanders should be aware this can be used as a method of mont'ka-where you draw the enemy where you want. them)

so if you choose to deepstrike then remember to think before you pick up the scatter dice and always plan for the worse. (this is to say that assume he may scatter 12" and try to make sure that wont leave him in a very awkward position)

Well, hopefully that has been helpfull, and you may consider using a monat now if you don't already, or have found a new use for your monat,

however, remember the first rue SUPPORT your battlesuits with other units and don't rest an entire battleplan on them, the are usefull, and can be a very effective tool for pulling them off, but Tau thrive in war by supporting units not risking a battleplan on a do-or-die mission: we are not Hollywood, and we are not all able to send one hard as nails commando onto a planetand expect him to blow it up within 48 hours whilst escaping alive,

good luck and may you prosper as tau shall,
Old 06 Jun 2006, 21:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Monat Crisis: a Tactica

The latest incarnation of my Tau Force had 2 Monat HQ Crisis, 2 Monat Elite Crisis, and 3 Monat A.S.S. Broadsides. I like how you never want target locks, don't have to worry about unit coherancy, don't need bonding, and each suit is not affected by unit losses. I found I lacked some anti-vehicle firepower, as I spent one game firing 3 railguns a turn into a Chaos Predator (the armored fist of Chaos!), and by turn 4 it was still alive, albeit lacking mobility and two lascannons. So I'm looking at trading a FW squad and 'fish for another Elite Crisis, a Railhead, and two teams of two Broadsides. My single Broadsides were getting sniped by Chaos Marines with two big guns in squads of five.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Monats are a great thing to use, they can be highly versatile, pack some great punch and can also be very survivable if used right. However the elite slots to spare for single suit squads arent always available especially at higher points values.

Deffinetly an option everyone should consider and know and great tactica.

Old 07 Jun 2006, 21:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

thanks Guys!,

another point is unit strength (though I don't have my rulebook handy at the moment) with a three man unit reducing it to one model means it is has to take last man standing tests and can no longer take objectives, monats will need to be killed, and as stated before draws enemy firepower away from other units (although the greater good is against the practice of sacrificing units)
Old 07 Jun 2006, 22:20   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Am I wrong in thinking there is no last man standing roll for a lone survivor of a 2 man team?

"Hope" is not a strategy.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 22:34   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

iuf the squad starts with two models and then loses one you still have to take the test.

Old 07 Jun 2006, 23:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfshart79
Am I wrong in thinking there is no last man standing roll for a lone survivor of a 2 man team?
Yes.
Sorry :funny:

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Old 08 Jun 2006, 01:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

bonus is that a 2 man team will never be below half strenght... it's either at 50%, or totally dead.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 17:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

yeah, but you still need to take the tests
Old 08 Jun 2006, 17:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

always keep an ethereal handy, that's what I say
Closed Thread