Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

"Official" Crisis Configs
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jun 2006, 19:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default "Official" Crisis Configs

Configurations of Crisis Suits was always a mystery to me, so I read a lot at different message boards, asked friends and did some mathhammer when I was bored at work. Now I thought a lot and I still got no idea what my suits will look like. So I considered some more or less official information sources like pictures on codices or army lists on several Games Workshop-websites. And those configurations seem really strange and inefficient to me. The weapons don't work together (low range/high ap-weapons combined with high range/low ap-weapons), teams of three suits seem to be made to fire at completely different target (due to different weaponry and target locks) or they waste firepower by combining two weapons without installing a multitracker. That confused me a bit and I really need some clarification. Are those configs really as stupid as I think or do I miss the secret magic behind them?

Here are some configurations I really don't get the purpose of (besides of scattering fire that could be focused):

1)
[FB/F/SG]
[FB/F/MT]
[FB/F/TL]

2)
[FB/PR/TL]
[BC/PR/TL]
[FB/MP/PR/HW MT]

3)
[PR/TL MP]
[FB/MP/TL]
[TL PR/TL]
Old 06 Jun 2006, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: "Official" Crisis Configs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A
1)
[FB/F/SG]
[FB/F/MT]
[FB/F/TL]
Any Crisis suit that has a flamer is just asking for it. I want no weapon on my suit that can give my enemy the ability to charge me.

Quote:
2)
[FB/PR/TL]
[BC/PR/TL]
[FB/MP/PR/HW MT]
These suits are stupid because why carry a second weapon if you can not shoot it.

Quote:
3)
[PR/TL MP]
[FB/MP/TL]
[TL PR/TL]
This team configuration also makes no sense. There is two missile pods and with Target Lock they can bring pain to a number of different units, but again they can not fire both weapons.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 19:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, those configs. are rubbish. I honestly don't know what GW is think half the time.

For suit set-ups, go with Deathrain (twinlinked missile pod). Try Fireknife (Plasma + Missile Pod) and see how you like it, or how it works for you.

I use a squad of three deathrains with targetting arrays, and three helios (fusion, plasma) with multi-trackers. I see a lot of marines (choas) in my area and a lot of tank heavy (and transport heavy) armies.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 20:00   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't think I have ever seen anyone use the official multiple-suit configurations from GW. The single-suit names are in common usage, though.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 20:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well from what I find GW really isnt great at writing tacticas for its own game and tactics also include weapon options. Some of it may be ineptitude on GWs part I certainly didnt get many of the weapon options shown in the pictures on the new dex. But lets look at the 3 you showed:

1)
[FB/F/SG]
[FB/F/MT]
[FB/F/TL]

The shield generator is probably there to take any hits that are from low ap shots as I am pretty sure invulnerable saves available ontop of regular armor dont count for majority armor saves. The primary weapon of the suits seems to be the Fusion Blaster and they are only armed with flamers as a cheap secondary weapon in case a nasty something gets close just as flamers were/are used on deathrain suits. The one with the target lock opens up the ability to target a seperate threat if the other two take down the primary target first.

2)
[FB/PR/TL]
[BC/PR/TL]
[FB/MP/PR/HW MT]

This one... I really dont get. One is for not bad anti hord, another is for anti heavy armor and the third is all around armor and heavy infantry and they can target seperate squads. Could be useful if your heavy on suits but this kind of mixing in a unit isnt great and the TL suits cant fire both guns. I think this one is just GW not knowing what they are doing.

3)
[PR/TL MP]
[FB/MP/TL]
[TL PR/TL]

This one looks like another example of GW ineptitude with their own game. Some of it makes sense but all together its not a unit I see working very well.

All in all I think they are just examples of GW not knowing how to write proper tacticas or equip units well.

Old 06 Jun 2006, 21:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross

ummm while where talking about suits, what the heck color are those Stealthsuits in the back cover of the codex?
Old 06 Jun 2006, 21:49   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

..yet another problem I haven't to think about anymore. Thank you for the answers.

Ps: The last two games I tried out Helios against Sisters of Battle and it didn't work very well for me. Next time I'll go with Burning Eye. I don't like fireknive because it is such a common config and seen everywhere. I want to build up an army that's rather uncommon and has an interesting feeling while still being able to win games. ;-)
Old 06 Jun 2006, 22:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well, the Fusion/flamer setup which made me say "huh?!?" when seeing it on the Tau army preview pics and in WD, so I got to thinking about it.

Maybe it was for Cities of Death, where Crisis suits jump through cover, drop 3 flamer templates, and then jump away, or alternatively, jump to a tank/dread/character, Fusion it, and jump away... With this mission profile, a multitracker is not really needed, and a shield generator would make a good 3rd harpoint in this case for one of the suits to take a lascannon shot to the shield "for the greater good!", the muti grants a fusion potshot in conjunction with the flamer templates, and the TL also adds some versatility, wherein the other 2 suits can flamer and fusion some target, while the TL suit takes a Fusion potshot at a vehicle. ITs too bad no one thinks of mixed crisis suits in this light, since it does make a bit of sense.

This is a whole different way to design Crisis suits, where you forego the multitracker (GASP!), and your different harpoints now truly represent different roles. Here, MissilePod, BurstCannon, Plasma in a group of 3 so equipped means that the unit can either throw out 3 missilepod shots at extreme range early in the game, throw out 9 burstcannon shots in support of FW, Drones, Devilfish (all added together for a gestalt of many, many MANY S5 shots), and at key times, throe out 3 AP2 shots when that time has come. Do we all have to go overboard with twin weapons firing, and agonizing over which weapons and support equipment works best??

Is that a Paradigm that we are all stuck in?? the Culture of TauOnline demanding a multitracker and focused designs? Is there truly no other effective way?
Old 06 Jun 2006, 22:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

GW could have made the configs because all of those different weapons make each suit look more individualized and totally awesome :P.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 22:21   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The above is true,(coolness of the Tau) but it also gives them an option, that is not longrange, and can be used when assaulted, or it could be used for city fights, as previously mentioned, there by beefing them up a titch.

~OShovah