Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A Piranha by any other name.
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jun 2006, 18:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default A Piranha by any other name.

so i was wondering why do phiranhas have such short ranged weapon and why cant you change it >

evil rules system of planetery governments even though its off topic i hate you!!!!

i blame the bankers on tau in other words there not giveing shas enough money for kick ash long ranged weapons >
Old 06 Jun 2006, 18:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: a phiranha by any other name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor tau marc
so i was wondering why do phiranhas have such short ranged weapon and why cant you change it >

evil rules system of planetery governments even though its off topic i hate you!!!!

i blame the bankers on tau in other words there not giveing shas enough money for kick ash long ranged weapons >
Try this:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/TAU_VEHICLES.html
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/downloads40k.htm
I guess they just didnt have time to design rules or didnt think of it in the Tau Empire codex

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Old 06 Jun 2006, 19:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: a phiranha by any other name.

IDK, I like the idea of the Pirahna being a close range infantry hunter or tank killer. With the weapon loadout that it already has, it is already perfect for those jobs. The tau already have fast things and range. LOTS of range(railguns)! The Land Speeder is the comparison I hear most often but they are vastly different. The SM must be versatile to fit thus everything in a SM army can and (IMO) must have a dual purpose. The tau generally don't work that way(again, IMO). The have the railhead, broadsides, and crisis suits for range and don't really have cost effectife fast units. I would take the pirahna just as it is, with either all fusion blasters or all minigun thingies(can't remeber the name :P). They do their job just fine as far as I am concerned. Granted, this is from Necron player but I have 3 friends who play tau so I have played with the tau army twice.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 06 Jun 2006, 22:14   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: A Piranha by any other name.

Jya I like the idea f having at least 1 close range tank/suit for the tau... {EDIT} i think this is the only close combat "tank" the tau have too. it seems to be more or less an infantry hunter, from what ive heard. Can someone give me their stats?

~OShovah
Old 07 Jun 2006, 02:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Recently I've been using a pirhana with fusion blaster and targetting array in every game I play. It has yet to dissapoint me!

It's fast, small and packs a punch!

Zip it up and blast a vehichle, the drones can disembark and cause havock. If you're opponent is shooting it that saves something more valueable, if they don't shoot it you have a scoring unit that can move 24" during the end game.

Oh and you can have up to 5 in 1 squad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 02:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

1) Fix up your spelling, it would get a smote

2) If they were equipped with railguns ,it would be way overpowered, and therefore, be considered cheesey
Old 07 Jun 2006, 02:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't think that they ever had the option to be eqipped with Rail Guns, I think the option was to equip them with Rail Rifles. I just don't think that this suits their purpose or the capabilites. They can run up and shred units and they should run up and shred units. JMO

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 07 Jun 2006, 11:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I didn't mean that they were equipped, I was only giving an example of how it could be overpowered.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 14:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok, I still say that it is perfect the way it is. 1 or 2 of them in theory will avoid notice far longer than a LS even though the LS is less of a threat. All of this is with standard base weapons by the way. Do they not already have long range things? Isn't the hiding stuff better dealt with by either the fusion blaster or the burst cannon?

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 07 Jun 2006, 22:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok, so whats the problem??

The Piranha most likely moved over 6" to get into firing position, meaning that all shooting penetrations are glances.... and seeing as how its a skimmer, any counter charge with meltabomb toting assaulters would only hit on a 6, and again, all penetrations would be glances...

With that above paragraph, I dont feel too worried sending piranhas in to engage a juicy target!