Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Jet Packs, the slow way to travel?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jun 2006, 13:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Jet Packs, the slow way to travel?

I was at a tournament last Saturday and I'm realizing that Crisis suits are bloody slow! This is a suit with jets on it, right? I travel on a jet every five weeks, and it is about 100 times faster than me on foot.

So picture a race between a Crisis suit and a Marine. The Crisis suit fires it's jetpack, moves 6" twice for 12". The Marine sprints 6", then assaults 6" and whacks the suit. So the jetpack is as fast as a guy wearing 200lbs of armor and carrying a 40lb gun on foot? Granted, this isn't an aerodynamic vehicle, but still!

And it's actually slower than most Eldar and Tyranid, who have Fleet? Slower than the Vespid, who fly 12", Fleet 1d6", and Assault 6" for 19-24"? I read the Tau designers notes who said the original Crisis suits moved 12", but that was thought to be "too fast". Too fast apparently means as fast as other comparable units.

This isn't necessary for Tau to be effective, but I'm wondering what the deal is with the discrepancy in speed. Maybe we should start modelling our suits with sails to represent the lack of thrust from jetpacks. Replace arms with robot wings to flap. Glue springs on the bottom of the feet. Maybe a few ridiculous conversions will draw attention to what seems to be a ridiculous lack of speed.

And really, why are Devilfish and Hammerheads so slow? A Land Raider on a road can travel 24" in a turn. How come a skimmer with massive jet engines travels at a sleepy-paced 12"? I'd say 24" of skimmer tank movement is a bit much, but 18" seems much more reasonable to me.

Old 06 Jun 2006, 14:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Jet Packs, the slow way to travel?

They did that for game balance. Otherwise you would see a Tau army having as many Crisis Suits as possible.

Edit

Also for your example, the Marine player has to be within 6" of the Tau player to be able to assault them.

Our Crisis suits are as fast as their Rhinos... nothing to be ashamed about.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 14:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

I find them fast and fine i mean ya you can move 6' for the movement but then in the assuat phase you can move 6' after moving i would rather take that
Old 06 Jun 2006, 15:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I always thought we got cheated out of six-inches in the movement phase, too. I'd have paid more points for it, but yeah, it sucks that we're so darn slow for having a "jet"

You just have to deal with it.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 06 Jun 2006, 15:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

A jet pack is meant to make you hover a bit, get you over obstacles if needed. It's not meant to speed you across the battle field. It's not an Astartes Jump Pack.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 15:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tell that to the artists who draw pictures of Crisis Suits flying 80 feet in the air, deploying out of Manta Missile Destroyers high in the air, etc...

No offense intended
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 06 Jun 2006, 16:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04
Tell that to the artists who draw pictures of Crisis Suits flying 80 feet in the air, deploying out of Manta Missile Destroyers high in the air, etc...

No offense intended
That's one of the things they're supposed to do, slow your decent - act a bit as a parachute if you will.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 16:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The crisis suit jet pack or pretty much all jet packs simply allow the user to jump (except on drones but those are little disks...) very high and do it in a controlled way. However this is a battlefield and your not going to rise too high and present a big target, this limits the height and distance of your jumps. Add to that having to concentrate on whats going on around you and your weapons and thats not easy, plus the sheer size of the crisis suit and bulk of the new stealth suits. Given all that its pretty fair and understandable.

Also this marine is a superenhanced warrior with strengthened muscles, who on average tops 7 feet and on yea there are already servos in the armor that help him move. A marine in full armor could probably outrun an olympic athlete. But thats just one example.

Old 06 Jun 2006, 16:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Its a bit backwards, but imagine the jetpack is closer to a helicopter than the jump-pack's plane. You trade speed for maneuvability - were they to jump at speed forward (say 12") then they are going to fast to then rapidly change direction. They arn't built for speed (why bother when they get dropped at location anyway), but instead for the ability to rapidly change direction and get out of lines of fire etc.

Jump packs are more powerful but one directional, you can sort of keep running afterward because of this.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 17:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not saying that Tau Crisis suits should be supersonic or anything. I just find the speed discrepancy strange. Even if a Marine, or Eldar Guardian, or Tyranid Gaunt, or Vespid, or Eversor Assassin is sprinting, flat out, why are they as fast or faster than a battlesuit, especially when charging.

Slow Infantry
Tau Battlesuit 6"+6" for 12"
Marine 6"+6" for 12"

Fast Infantry
Eldar Guardian 6"+d6"+6" for 13-18"
Tyranid Gaunt 6"+d6"+6" for 13-18"
Vespid 12"+d6"+6" for 19-24"
Eversor Assassin 6"+12" for 18"
Assault Marine 12"+6" for 18"
Warp Spiders 12"+2d6" for 14-24"

Yes, we have an advantage in that we don't have to assault a unit to get the assault move. And we don't need to roll for difficult terrain. Instead we roll to see if the suit takes a wound by landing in a bush. These are just the examples I know of.

And back to our tanks, the fact that Imperial technology can travel just as fast as our tanks, double our speed on a road, and Eldar vehicles, which are also skimmer tanks, are fast, just doesn't seem right. A Devilfish actually has less armor than a Wave Serpent, and the Wave Serpent has the funky Energy Field, because Earth Caste used all the Shield tech on Crisis suits, I guess.

Anyways, for a so-called "fast" mobile army, we aren't so quick compared to other races. I mean, Eldar Guardians can almost outrun our tanks. Assault Marines can keep pace, unless they can assault. It's like we needed to be hamstrung so we couldn't match the manuevers of other races, much less outmanuever them.
Closed Thread