Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Kroot any Good?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jun 2006, 01:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Are Kroot any Good?

I have just started collecting, and before blowing my money all over this i decided to ask for guidence, from what ive gathed, kroot ox are horrible, because they are slow, and break the kroots infiltration, and points spent on kroot hounds are better spent on FW's, and the kroot, i'm not really sure abouthow well they do...

Any critisism, orideas are welcome!
Old 06 Jun 2006, 01:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Are Kroot Any Good?

I personally dislike kroot and dont use them however they are a fantastic unit. For their dirt cheap price you can field them in massive squads, they have decent guns and BS added to their infiltration and the sheer number of attacks they get on the charge. They are however very fragile unless dug in in some nice terrain especially jungle which they excel in and their leadership isnt too great.

Many people can give you quite a lot of advice on kroot a simple forum search will give you tons of info on them. They are a great unit but dont fit everyones taste which is to be expeced.

Old 06 Jun 2006, 01:37   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

so it mostly depeds on the terrain?, otherwise they act like 'nids/ orks right?
Old 06 Jun 2006, 01:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm I suppose you could say that. They do need to use terrain but I have yet to see a board without at least one bit of terrain kroot can use. Anything thats area terrain works to give them a cover save and make them more solid but again its up to personal preference.

Old 06 Jun 2006, 01:44   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

hmm... there is some great food for though, i was just curious thank you alot.

(this was a very pathetic thread so far...) we probably coud've pmed each other, but thank you very much any way
Old 06 Jun 2006, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

No problem but just to save yourself some hasle and the rest of us some annoyance check the important threads sticky at the top of the page here in the Tau forum it will give you links to a great many threads that will answer most if not all of your questions.

Old 06 Jun 2006, 01:51   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

good idea, ill remeber that
Old 06 Jun 2006, 02:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Are Kroot any Good?

Here's a post I wrote a while ago about Kroot. Before I post it, I'll address the newly revamped Kroot subspecies:

Kroot Hounds - these are about the same as they were before. The slightly higher I might affect something near you, but most likely not, it still serves the same purpose as before. The general consensus seems to be that you are paying 6 points for a Kroot without a rifle, which is a really bad buy. However, their speed allows them to strike first or simul with many enemies. If you then take the wounds on your hounds, you will be able to perform a lot more attacks in one round of combat than if your kroot died before getting to strike. That said, equipping your kroot squad with hounds means you expect it to get into combat. This is generally a bad idea, unless you have some kind of army where you absolutely NEED countercharge units, like a very static gunline army.

Kroot oxen - New and improved, they REALLY benefit from the changes. Their S6 attacks further beef out your combat capabilities, and their S7 gun is interesting. Now, Tau have lots of S7 guns... but the thing that's special about this one is, it's in our troops slot. Lots of Tau players complain about not getting heavy weapons in troops squads, and this is now an effective way to do it (aside from markerlights and marker drones.) This could make a Kroot unit enough of a threat that the opponent pretty much HAS to attack it, and kroot are a real pain to drag, kicking and chirping, out of their cover.

Now, my old post:

Talk to a non-Tau player and they will tell you that "Kroot are for Kombat!" Realistically, Kroot have no staying power, so you cannot run around the board cutting everything up with your Kroot rifle blades. Kroot are competent fighters, but they have a number of severe limitations. Let's look at each aspect of Kroot in combat:

Weapon Skill: Quite nice weapon skill. You'll be hitting on 4s, sometimes 3s, and rarely getting hit on 3s.

Strength: Excellent strength for 7 points a model.

Base attacks: With two base attacks, thanks to the Kroot Rifle, the Kroot are a competent combat squad. When you take into account the number of Kroot you can field, and the fact that you can charge for an additional attack each, the Kroot become quite formidable.

Now, to the negative aspects:

Toughness: Kroot are not marines. They go squish as easily a a guardsman.

Initiative: Kroot are not marines. This really, really hurts. With lower I than marines, you will be taking damage first, potentially crippling your charge by removing huge masses of fragile Kroot. The good news is, this can be ameliorated by taking Kroot hounds! They attack simultaneously with many of the game's I4 threats. Let them attack, and then remove them as casualties, letting the rest of the normal Kroot attack then.

Armor: Kroot armor is a joke. No Kroot armor will stand up to any kind of shooting. This makes it difficult to advance to get into combat in the first place. In combat, Kroot with armor have marginally improved staying power.

Leadership: Statistically, you have a slightly less than 50% chance to run if you have to take a leadership test with the Kroot base leadership. However, upgrading their armor upgrades their leadership! While the armor seems expensive for little benefit, you will benefit greatly from the increased leadership, improving staying power in combat.

Sweeping advance troubles: Occasionally, an enemy in combat with Kroot will fail its leadership. This could happen more easily if there were lots of Kroot, causing "outnumbered" modifiers. First you have to win combat though, which can be a problem with fragile Kroot. You will definitely take a lot of wounds; the only question is whether you will deal enough in return to win combat. This usually comes down to the opponent's armor, so things like marines have quite a good chance to win combat against Kroot.

Should you actually win combat and force your opponent to run, there is an increased possibility that your Kroot will not be able to chase them down! This can mean death for a Kroot squad caught in the open after fighting off marines who will auto-rally and then rapid fire or charge.

What does all this mean? Kroot generally cannot go looking for a fight, as they are too fragile. They cannot fight off superior numbers in a protracted fight due to their lack of staying power. They CAN cause heavy damage on the charge, or if you yourself are charged in cover, which means you get to go first and get all of your attacks.

So, Kroot are decent, but not great in combat overall. Another aspect of the Kroot may make you hesitate to get into combat: their shooting!

Kroot rifles are basically bolters. The slightly reduced AP will not matter very often. For their price, Kroot are more efficient shooters than marines, except in shooting at troops with armor 5, where the bolter's AP gives it an edge. A squad of 20 Kroot can cause a lot of damage! Of course, it can also take casualties and run due to low leadership.

Fortunately, we have a way around this disadvantage. Cover! Kroot love Kover! It might be painstaking to move 20 Kroot into a building or forest, but that free 4+ save is worth it! That's right, Kroot get +1 to cover saves in forest. Additionally they move through forest as if it were open ground, giving you more options when a squad gets too close. Want to charge? Ok! Want to run away? No problem! Want to position yourself to screw up your opponent's charge? Sure thing!

Oh, and there's yet another trick the Kroot keep up their sleeveless arms. If they stand still, they can see through 12" of forest. This can mean that your Kroot are INVINCIBLE! Nothing else can shoot them if they are too deep in the forest, yet they can still fire off nearly two dozen bolterlike shots.

In summary:
Kroot can deal great damage in combat, but are fragile.
Kroot can deal great damage in shooting, and are still fragile; but we can fix this with cover.
Charge when you must, shoot when you can, hug a tree.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 03:15   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

personally i love to use kroot in small games (nothing like 20 of them in 400 Combat Patrol >) and i occasionally use them when i really need to stay an enemy objective or key unit that will otherwise massacre me (aka broodlord and pimped out retinue) but when i am fighitng in a tournament i use them as either objective holders or...target practice for my enemy (if it isnt shooting at my stealth suits it is being a good unit). all in all i havent tried the new kroot hounds or Ox or anything but i think they would be a very good unit to have if i actuallly had a situation for them.

Old 06 Jun 2006, 03:28   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks for the feed back, it seems things have changed for the ox, but the hound end up to be more like bullet sponges 'eh? although this alters my perspective, the kroot are fragile, but brutal, when well hidden!

Any other ideas/tactics for using them?