Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting to worry about Black Templar Players
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross
Default Starting to worry about Black Templar Players

Well in the 2 games ive played against black Templar, one game I totally blew them off the table with some almost dream dice rolls, the other game I was winning but ended up running out of time.

Now what im seeing is a lot of Black Templar players starting to master their armies and doing things that make me worry. I saw a game this past weekend Tau vs BT’s and the Tau player was ripped to pieces. Now the Tau player made a LOT of mistakes (hiding his Kroot behind his fire warriors, having 10 Vespids moving quickly across the table into CC with a squad of BT, and littary taking the worst OMGPWNEDWTF blah blah blah…beatdown ive ever seen one squad take in the year ive played 40k the butt kicken that unit took was TRULY unbelievable! He didn’t take any makerlights, I asked him why and he said he thought they were silly and didn’t know why they would need a stupid flashlight. This made me want to slap him, set 2 sniper squads on the front line beside his FW’s with Kroot hiding behind them WTF? And left his Stealthsuits TOTALLY unprotected)

Now its obvious this player didn’t know what he was doing so after trying to offer him some advice and him giving me a “Go away and let me run my own army” look I said “Fine”, and as I walked away I thought “Your going to lose badly”!

He lost badly but getting back on track…. What is the best way to deal with Black Templars? With LRC’s and Rhino’s they can move across the board VERY fast plus they will have re-enforcements drop podding in on the 2nd turn. If they give those LRC’s and Rhino’s extra armor and smoke launchers, all we can do is glance right? Plus they have a pretty darn good armor save, and their Terminators are just down right nasty. I think its Knowledge of the Empire(?) That makes is so you can’t pin them? It seems like BT’s were almost designed to take out Tau.

Ive been avoiding one BT player at my local G-Dub like the plague but I know im going to have to play him soon because I think he’s starting to see im avoiding him and he’s starting to run his mouth so I need to come with he pain so what is the best way to put a SERIOUS hurting on the Templars? More and more people are starting to play them and I want to know how to best take them down HARD!!
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Starting to worry about Black Templar Players

being a former BT player (got bored since I never lost a game) I luv the big squads you can take..

But I would opt for quite a mobile, but powerful army. Thats, 3 HH, 2 with Ion cannons and 1 with railgun.

Opt for a single 8 man gundrone unit, to force him to take test for anything he wants to shoot at.

then 2 or 3 fire warrior units and 1 or 2 warfishes

round up with a few suits with missile pods and plasmas, target locks

a cheap leader, with CIB, plasma, target lock and control node

Then, if points allow it, some pathfinders in a warfish to give an extra kick in the fire sequence!
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

what a CIB ???

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross

:'( CIB = Cyclic Ion Blaster....

I have Every thing but the 3HH's, i have 1HH, 2 sniper squads, and 3 Broadsides.... Is this still viable?
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well, I guess, but HH have better survivability then HH.

and Ion cannons are the best marine killer we have, so with 2 HH with em, you count the dead in big heaps!
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well ill be buying at leaste another HH soon...
Old 05 Jun 2006, 17:13   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Remember, we can take out Rhino's easily, as far as the Crusader goes, a deep striking Monat, Pirhannas, Rail Heads, or XV-88's take care of them. They can only pop smoke once. Once they are on their feet it is easy to out maneuver them. I know this is easier said than done but keep on the offensive and make him react to you! I hate marines and play them more often than not. But victory is so sweet.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 17:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Give the 88s ASS and TL on the 'Vre and take out Rhinos or LRCs, also, Rail Rifles do well against Rhinos, too. So use the MLs in the teams to mark for other units, and let the drones fire on Rhinos for the first few turns, then turn them on the marines. Put your snipers on one flank and otherwise refuse it, if he goes for that flank then hit him in it (sometimes a few open drones will be enough, esp. if they've got RR, those Imps HATE thier AI I guess...) and if he goes more for the fight, then those drones'll do good at pinning before they get too close to the front line. Stick the 88s nearby, too, because some players just hate marching towards rail anything!!!
Old 05 Jun 2006, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Very good BT player in my area, and though I've only played him once, I learned what NOT to do (I tried a static list - very bad).

I agree with the notion of at least two Ion Cannon HHs. Cheap in cost, effective at killing marines in large numbers, and able to distract BT squads to charge them instead of something you want to protect. (Along with that fact, the Flechette Discharger may be a very good investment when playing BT players, on everything.

Now, I'm taking to the notion of either using Broadsides in the last slot, or a Skyray. I'm leaning to the Skyray for several reasons: First, it's a great platform for markerlights hitting on 3s. Second, it's cheaper than a Railhead, and draws less fire. Third, BTs get near Broadsides almost always (unless you're using Stab Sys, which I do not). Fourth, I'm getting better about using Fusion Blasters for their Melta capability (and everyone should).

Going that route, I'm concentrating on killing Sv 3 models, and I'll deal with the LRC only if I have to, or when my reserves come in.

Another reason I don't take Broadsides is the drop pod. But if you want to take Broadsides, I strongly suggest plasma rifles on them, at least one Multi-Tracker on the team lead, and Vespid to protect them from the drop pod drop (granted, not useful against terminators).

One thing to consider versus a BT army is taking an HQ suit with the Positional Relay. If it's a Gamma mission, it could be very useful to leave Deep Strike capable units in reserve, and to hold on to some till turns 3 and 4, when the BTs lose some degree of control of their unit cohesion due to casualty movement. In an Omega mission, you have some risks if the HQ comes in late, but it could still work.

Assuming Gamma level, bring in that drone squadron on Turn 2... Keep holding on to those Fusion Blaster suits until you see a place that's safe, relatively, for landing by the LRC, for taking table quarters, and so on.

I don't buy Kroot against BTs, myself. I do buy Devilfish for all my FWs but one unit (usually). I would recommend Pathfinders with Warfish (small units of PFs, preferably two units of four), moreso if you take the Skyray (because the Skyray should use it's BS4 markerlights for essential targets, and the PF markerlights should be used for Seekers)

I wouldn't play BTs above 1850 points, and I'd prefer (as I always do) 1750 or 1500. BTs with points are exponentially greater.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 05 Jun 2006, 18:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ive never used the Positional Relay, with that can i more control over where my troops will drop in?