Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is your Airbursting Frag Projector Crisis Config?
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What is your Airbursting Frag Projector Crisis Config?

So, I was wondering what people are using for ABFP configs. The obvious thing seems to be use an Elite, since ABFP doesn't use BS. There's a couple configs I was considering.

Elite Monat Shas'vre with ABFP, TL Flamer, HW Multi, 2 Shield Drones, Failsafe Detonator

Elite Monat Shas'vre with ABFP, TL Missile Pods, HW Multi

I like Monats, lately. I've got the slots with the small, troop heavy armies I'm fielding. Shas'vre is necessary to take Special Issue stuff.

The first config is a unit for hitting units in area terrain. I figure I can stay back behind cover and use the ABFP, dashing forwards to flame troops. The Failsafe is an assault-penalizer, although the Failsafe rules are rather strange. I'd have to survive the assault, but lose the assault, and fail my Leadership test before I could choose to use it. Weird how there is no armor penetration. Looks risky to use, but fun to deep-strike. I'm considering this, but I haven't tried it.

The second I've tried, to OK results. The ABFP misses a lot, and the Missile Pods add some extra firepower. Good range.

So what have you guys used, and how did it work out for you?
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: What's your Airbursting Frag Projector Crisis Config

Hey man,

Definitely an Elite monat setup. I have ran two variants so far, that I've enjoyed.

Normal Games / Standard Formats:

Basically the same as yours and most initial ideas, using Missile Pods in a Death Rain type setup, but adding the AFP as an extra (for a huge cost of course). The ranges are vastly different, and targets as well, but it allows for the Death Rain part of the suit to give me some work, and then as things come closer, or as I move about, the AFP starts to have something to pop as well--they're not too terribly inaccurate if you have line of sight, so it can actually put a nice dent in a mobbed up group of infantry (orks finally reaching your front lines, hormagaunts, etc).

Elite Selection I: 78 points.
XV8 Crisis Shas'vre
-Twinlinked Missile Pods
-AFP
-Hardwired Multi-tracker

Cities of Death / City Fight / Heavy Terrain Standard Boards:

For the terrain game, line of sight is a big loss and the missile pods become less and less useful, as you are forced to float about the board to pick up targets and keep from being one yourself. In that situation, I go for dakka and I go for closer ranges where I can use both weapons together, or not at all basically. I enjoy this suit a bit more, simply because it's fun when it "hits" and can still do decent damage to infantry even if the scatter is poor. But mainly, because when you're only firing from 10 or 12 inches away from the target, into terrain, the AFP's ability to ignore cover helps quite a bit against the weenie infantry, and the Burst Cannon's respectable output adds to the pool of damage for some higher strength hits along the way.

Elite Selection I: 72 points.
XV8 Crisis Shas'vre
-Twinlinked Burst Cannon
-AFP
-Hardwired Multi-tracker

-- Just to further note, the AFP really isn't all that accurate, nor cause all that much damage. Typically a few burst cannons will do even more damage, regardless of the cover situation (ie: Stealth Suits). But, it's still a "fun" weapon for the matches where you're fighting armies that require cover, not necessary marine type opponents.

Cheers!
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't think the AFP is a great weapon, but the lack of cover saves and AP:5 make it awesome in some situations, if it hits. It's a wild card that be great or useless, depending on the dice rolls. It's the lack of reliability that gets me.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:42   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i find in games against nids, the afp is great with the CIB
Ties:1
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

daniel.wilson, I run the AFP on my Shas'Vre Team Leader of my Deathrain suits. I go a little more bells and whistles on him though

XV-8 with TLMP, AFP, HW Multi-Tracker, HW Target Lock, HW Drone Controler with 2 Shield Drones, HW Blacksun Filter, & Bonding Knife. Since I keep this team close to the fire line, my 'Vre can clear out some of the hoards that are coming at me with a little bit of AFP goodness... all while the other two buddies are popping transports. If the enemy is too far away for the AFP to be used then the 'Vre can lend some missile pod support to the rest of the team.

Quote:
I don't think the AFP is a great weapon, but the lack of cover saves and AP:5 make it awesome in some situations, if it hits. It's a wild card that be great or useless, depending on the dice rolls. It's the lack of reliability that gets me.
If you have line of sight, then the scatter isn't that bad.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 18:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

doesn't a lone monat die quickly as enemys feel annoyed by the large template?

i've deployed mine once so far, and he was buddied up with the 'el and a pair of shield drones, so the enemy didn't bother shooting at him, and they annoyed the enemy to no end, causing him to commit to premature assault setups.

'el - CIB/Mpod/TA, multi track, DC
'vre - AFP/TL.BC, Multi Track
2 Shield Drones.

Old 05 Jun 2006, 20:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
doesn't a lone monat die quickly as enemys feel annoyed by the large template?

i've deployed mine once so far, and he was buddied up with the 'el and a pair of shield drones, so the enemy didn't bother shooting at him, and they annoyed the enemy to no end, causing him to commit to premature assault setups.

'el - CIB/Mpod/TA, multi track, DC
'vre - AFP/TL.BC, Multi Track
2 Shield Drones.

Well, since you can fire from behind LOS-blocking cover or use a J-S-J, you should be pretty survivable.

I think I'll have to do up a model with magnets for auxillary weapons.

The one overwhelming thing I'm seeing is that everyone uses a twinlinked weapon with their ABFP.

I tried one config a while back using ABFP, MP, Positional Relay, HW MT, as I had a Deep Striking unit with Vectored Thrusters for assaulting Devastator squads, and wanted him it the game early.

Old 05 Jun 2006, 21:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
The one overwhelming thing I'm seeing is that everyone uses a twinlinked weapon with their ABFP.
That's because most people put the AFP on a Shas'Vre and not the 'El or 'O. The 'El's and the'O's BS is wasted on a weapon that doesn't need it. On the other hand, the 'Vre's BS is only a 3 and the Twin Linking helps out a whole lot.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 22:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Daniel, I'd say you cannot use the failsafe with a monat. The rules do not explicitly say so, but they constantly mention the "team" escaping. The sentence "Once his team has moved..." strongly implies that the team is necessary.

The burst cannon suit is only 6 points more than the flamer and much more useful. But the missile pod suit is yet more useful and may go sort of ignored once the vehicle targets are gone. I think that will be my choice, when I get the SI weapons.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 00:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Hey man,

Normal Games / Standard Formats:

Basically the same as yours and most initial ideas, using Missile Pods in a Death Rain type setup, but adding the AFP as an extra (for a huge cost of course). The ranges are vastly different, and targets as well, but it allows for the Death Rain part of the suit to give me some work, and then as things come closer, or as I move about, the AFP starts to have something to pop as well--they're not too terribly inaccurate if you have line of sight, so it can actually put a nice dent in a mobbed up group of infantry (orks finally reaching your front lines, hormagaunts, etc).

Elite Selection I: 78 points.
XV8 Crisis Shas'vre
-Twinlinked Missile Pods
-AFP
-Hardwired Multi-tracker

Elite Selection I: 72 points.
I agree.
I've used this combo with a blacksun filter on my 'El to tremendous effect in small games. It works great against orks, my regular opponent. After the light vehicles and transports are gone, i move him up with a FoF to wipe out whole mobs of orks at a time in the last turns of the game.
Also, against marines, it works like a charm against the dreadnought you can always expect in marine armies nowadays.
In fact, my commander is shown as my picture. ;D

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Closed Thread