Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis suit configurations
Closed Thread
Old 03 Jun 2006, 19:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Crisis suit configurations

i have just purchased two new crisis suits hooray

my only problem is how to equip them. i have the two crisis kits plus the leftover bits from a broadside if thats any help, ie i have at least a double of every wepon

i normally play against SMurfs, eldar or another tau force

any help would be appreciated
Old 03 Jun 2006, 20:26   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Jyco
Default Re: Crisis suit configurations

Give them both a Plasma Rifle and a missile pod.
Give the one a multi-tracker and the other (team leader) a second plasma rifle and a hard wired multi-tracker.

They are good for taking out light vehicles and troops at long range.

I hope this will help
Old 03 Jun 2006, 20:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

they're a bit expensive, but the Targetting-array fireknife config has been doing pretty well for me. less volume of shots but overall just as much will be hitting... except its exactly the kind you want to be hitting with (the missiles are horrible on marines, plasma's not all that good against transports).

even the versatile fireknife is really only meant to be taking on two or three things: light vehicles, carapace armor troops (pretty low volume of fire but at least there's good range for it) and MEQ's.

My commander's ionknife so my 2 crisis suits become my transport busters, and of course have plasma when its needed (usually as soon as the transports are done with).

if you have room for a third (monat, definitely in this case I'd say), the AFP's far less of a waste of ballistic skill than it would be placing it on a Shas'El...
Old 03 Jun 2006, 20:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Remember don't glue any of the weapons on.

Fireknife (missile pod, plasma) is a great beginner config. and allows you to gauge a lot of the crisis suits movement while still being safe. The fire is also effective on a variety of units, like Marines and Eldar.

Later on when you want crisis suits to have specific roles than you can always change the weapons to Helios (plasma, fusion) or fireknife (twinlinked missile pods).

Helios is more of a close range suit and wails on Marines (with a targeting array equipped) and Deathrain is great for knocking out fast transpots, instant killing Eldar, and even knocking out other devilfish. Enough missile pod shots on another crisis suit will definitely drop it, and it is incredibly useful but many are turned off by its AP 4.

Play with with these three configs., as each is strongest in its own arena (IMO). Helios - close, Fireknife - Middle, Deathrain - 'More than Middleish'
Old 03 Jun 2006, 21:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

... I wouldn't say deathrains are any more than middle-ranged... They're still outranged by the standard 'long range' weapons even with JSJ factored in. Missile launchers, lascannons...

long range starts at 48" in my mind, and only the hammerhead main guns can pull that off.
Old 03 Jun 2006, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thats why I put 'more than middle-ish'. Its not quite long range but it is the weapon with the furthest range on a suit (42" with J-S-J).

For its purpose on a suit the range is fine, though I do agree its not quite long range, just the closest thing that Tau can put on their suits.
Old 03 Jun 2006, 21:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

cheers for all the quick replies. will definately be taking some points into consideration

and yes i am going to try and use RE magnets so switching configs shouldnt be a problem

i will probably try out most of the normal configs but at the moment im going towards deathrain
Old 04 Jun 2006, 05:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Fireknife is the best "all rounded" config. They can take almost any GEQ (or even MEQ) related stuff.

Helios is designed for termie/marine character hunting. AP2 or lower gives you a good chance to fall 3 termies per crisis.

My favorite is the Brightwind, plamsa and burst cannon + Multitracker. Pumping out 5 str.5/6 shots will dent almost any squad. Very effective, IMO.
Old 04 Jun 2006, 05:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I own/proxy 5 crisis models.

2 Deathrains.

2 Helios.

1 Shas'el, CIB, Plasma, TA, HW MT

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 04 Jun 2006, 08:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mech, I run my configs. pretty close to your set up, except with three suits per squad. Generally I put Targeting Arrays on them too, because I'm a stickler for accuracy. (The 'el is pretty close too, sometimes I switch the PR for a BC...more dakka...)

freerunner, in your case though, until you have more suits or are comfortable flitring with rapid firing range, Fireknife or Deathrain is optimal, and generally pretty efficient.