Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vs Tyranids
Closed Thread
Old 02 Dec 2004, 02:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Vs Tyranids

Hey, I'm new to these forums. I've been having some problems playing against my tyranid friend, and I've been searching around for help but haven't found any that apply.

He has 2 hive tyrants, both with wings and a lot of other upgrades. Normally I probably wouldn't have a problem gunning them down with railguns, but he deep strikes one right beside my broadside / tank. Basically with the rest of my army I either wait for his horde to come into range or wait for his tyrant to finish off my only heavy guns, then consolidate into the nearest unit so that I can't shoot him.

I don't use devilfish, gun drone squads, kroot of any kind.
Old 02 Dec 2004, 02:20   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to JarredHTG
Default Re: Vs Tyranids

Both Tyrants have wings huh, thats his biggest weakness. Read the tyranid codex very carefully, especially the part about winged tyranids not being able to enter difficult terrain. Just have the big guns chill in the woods, ruins or whatever and he can deepstrike to his hearts content and then stand there whilst you blast his helpless tyrant. Overall the #1 unit you can get are stealth teams to combat nids, 3 shots apiece that kill basic bugs on 2's with no save, plus two str 4 attacks that count as always being in cover when assaulted and thats if he can catch you with your 6" assault phase retreat. Combine those two strategies and he'll be in tears. Chances are a stealth team and some firewarriors will rip up his little bugs if he spent so many points on Tyrants. Just stick to cover and you'll be fine.
One last thing, try giving your crisis suits flamers, I know most people think its crazy but for 6 points being able to negate their cover saves they are great for ousting units of stealers since you can retreat 6" and stealers can't fleet to catch up to you.
Old 02 Dec 2004, 05:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to CrimsonWraith

I don't know if its different for 'nids, but doesn't deep strike stop the model from doing anything that first turn, including assault?
Old 02 Dec 2004, 06:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Deepstriking models can open fire, but cannot move at all, even to assault.

Also, another weakness is that a winged Hive Tyrant can *ALWAYS* be targeted for attack. Unless I remember incorrectly, the wings make him a target impossible to miss, even with Tyrant Guard.

Old 02 Dec 2004, 08:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer
Deepstriking models can open fire, but cannot move at all, even to assault.
Exsctly, let him drop down and just waste him in a single turn of fire.
Old 02 Dec 2004, 08:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

See this thread, it might help a bit: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=555.0
Old 03 Dec 2004, 03:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

i have a friend with nids, his hive tyrant dosnt have wings but his gaunts have leaping, i havn't actually played him yes but i was wondering how much of a difference assulting 12 would make
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 05 Dec 2004, 00:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Playing as a tau player against the Tyranids usually ends up with either the no-contest turkey shoot on the part of the Tau or a hth butchery. The key to winning against Tyranids is to blast them into gory dust while staying out of hth, right? This is nearly impossible to accomplish if the Tyranids hit you all at once, simply because you cannot possibly kill them all before they charge you. Fall back as the nids advance on the one flank, shooting all the way (crisis and >>>HAMMERHEADS<<< are especially effective at doing the running away) and be sure to hit them with everything on the other. If you do it right, half the nids will die and your army will be mostly preserved. I've found it extremely effective to use the levels of buildings to keep out of hth. If you infiltrate a squad of kroot or put devilfish equipped fire warriors onto the second floor of a building on a flank, the Tyranids will be hard pressed to assault them, mostly because they are 18" away from charging you while you rapid fire. Nice. ^-^ If you have kroot, whatever the nids have left usually gets stomped in the assault, and using a devilfish to escape or use the "scoot and shoot" tactic elsewhere really comes in handy. I hope this helps anyone who just hates nids for their fast gaunts and nasty monstrous creatures to kick some buggy tail! Great units against nids include; Fire Warriors, Kroot, Crisis, Broadsides, Hammerheads, and yes, the devilfish. Ethereals are a bit risky (moving, and all), stealth never really do anything except end up in hth, pathfinder's seeker missiles are only good against warriors, and drones are just a waste of points. And remember; RAILGUNS!!! bring them or else watch helplessly as that huge hive Tyrant sweeps through your lines.

If you leave this page with nothing else, staying still is the one sure way to die really fast. DO NOT sit and shoot the nids and expect to win; gaurd might get away with it, but Tau will not. Move darn it! I hate to see nooby tau players take a nice, powerful army, but then just sit and DIEE!!!!! :P :P :P :P Please, dying is not in the interest of the Greater Good.
Old 05 Dec 2004, 02:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hive Tyrants

1. Place all railguns together - broadsides and hammerheads
2. Watch his hive tyrant either deploy on the otherside of the board to them - or deepstrike in front on you
3. Hive tyrant cannot assault - fire 3-4 railguns at him
4. Have Shas'0 or some crisis suits ready to finish hive tyrant off with plasma rifle fire

Warriors

1. Missle Pod Fire and Plasma Fire

Gaunts/Genestealers

1. Stealth Suits - mass fire, high strength and ability to jet away plus avoid most return fire from nids - cover save as well
2. Mass pulse rail fire

Tyrant Guard

1. Plasma Fire and Rail Gun fire

Don't forget fleet of claw can really catch you out - don't let one unit get caught as the nids will wipe them out, get D6 consildation and just flow across the board

Good Luck
" I see destruction...death...darkness...the doom of all that was created by the ancients. Doom awaits us all by the hand's of those who feasted upon the star's when we were nothing, and so they shall when we are nothing. That is the future I see...and I fear...because the last brother, I know that it has seen this grim future as well"

- Farseer El'Ueli, Proclaiming the presence of the last C'tan, The Watcher

"And all shall be ashes, dust and death within his sight"
Old 04 Apr 2005, 20:56   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petas
Hey, I'm new to these forums. I've been having some problems playing against my tyranid friend, and I've been searching around for help but haven't found any that apply.

He has 2 hive tyrantsboth with wings and a lot of other upgrades. Normally I probably wouldn't have a problem gunning them down with railguns, but he deep strikes one right beside my broadside / tank. Basically with the rest of my army I either wait for his horde to come into range or wait for his tyrant to finish off my only heavy guns, then consolidate into the nearest unit so that I can't shoot him.

I don't use devilfish, gun drone squads, kroot of any kind.
Isnt teh hive Tyrant an HQ? If it is then he can only have one hive tyrant

Caboose: MY NAME IS MICHAEL J. CABOOSE... AND I HATE BABIES!
Closed Thread