Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A question of stealth
Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2006, 20:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default A question of stealth

What i dont understand is that commanders cant have stealth suits, you can't say there is no commanders who do o'shaserra or (shadowsun as she is more commonly known ) haS a souped up fancy-pancy version of the humble stealth suit, so what im realy askin is WHY CANT MY COMMANDER NOT BE SHOT AT EVERY TIME HE BREAKS COVER?
Old 30 May 2006, 20:12   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: A question of stealth

Well ideally, he isn't the closest model, and is thus protected by IC rules. I usually cart a long a drone squadron for this purpose.

As to why commanders may not take stealthsuits, I am not sure. I tend to think of Shadowsun as a template for a stealth commander rather than just a special character. You can always use her rules but not her model or background.
Old 30 May 2006, 20:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Its hard to be inspiring when your invisible?

Slightly less flippantly, I can imagine that for the stealth field to work in the 41st millenium, you also need to maintain radio silence as well, as otherwise the enemy would just triangulate your position and render the stealth field just fancy camoflage.

O'serra is testing out a radical departure from established doctrine, and likely coupled with some new invovations that allow them to get around the problem (at least at a distance anyway - hence the lack of deep strike or inflitrate)
Old 31 May 2006, 07:14   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Aha! thanks now I get it but I thought a stealth shas el would be better as he or she could work independantly
Old 31 May 2006, 07:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I suppose you wouldn't want you're command unit being independent from your force. They give the orders, make sure all the plans are executed, etc. If the commander is off doing his/her own business then everyone else will be left out in the dark.

No matter though, keep your IC status or get some bodyguards with shield drones and you should be set. If all else fails, Medusa V has a stealth upgrade for commanders so you could always take that!
Old 31 May 2006, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Commander Shadowsun has a modified stealth suit. She is a special character. I haven't read through her rules much as I am a Farsight fan, but I suspect she has a stealth field generator. Anyone know for sure.

FiveRings
Old 31 May 2006, 16:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jebz Send a message via Yahoo to Jebz

Imagine it....

"Hold the line" said the Commander in his fancy new XV22 suit.

"Who the hell said that" says Shas'ui O'stat, as he turns around looking for the mystery voice.
Old 01 Jun 2006, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

you guys got it wrong(groan) a shas o would comand wile the stealth shas el would sneek about a bit
Old 01 Jun 2006, 18:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukos
you guys got it wrong(groan) a shas o would comand wile the stealth shas el would sneek about a bit
Shas'os organise the campaign, usually from some hidden bunker or command post somewhere - its 'els who are the ones who are usually commanding in the field.
Old 01 Jun 2006, 19:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

And if the game was real life like it would actually be Shas'vres who lead the charge against the enemies of the Empire. For a skirmish would you risk the commander of an entire operation or a high-medium ranking soldier to take the mission. If the game was anything like real life Shas'o's would never make and appearance in 40K and only in Epic, 'el's would only come out in the higher point battles 2,000 and up, so almost every fight we play would be lead by a 'vre. But this is GW and they are far from perfect.

A stealth commander, as you said, would lead an assualt into the flanks while the higher rankin commander would be leading the charge in the front lines creating a distraction.

Closed Thread