Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranhas & Devilfish
Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2006, 20:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Piranhas & Devilfish

I was looking at my codex when I realized something. Why don't pirahnas and devilfishes have access to dual burst cannons? Hammerheads and SkyRays can have 2 BC, SMS, or 2 gun drones. Why can't Devilfishes and pirahnas have the same options?

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Old 30 May 2006, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti
Default Re: Pirahnas & Devilfishes

Becasue giving a vehicle 3 burst cannons would be ridicioulously over-powered. I'm sure that there's a fluff reason for it (power requirements?) but it is primarily to keep the game balenced.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Old 30 May 2006, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i neva thought of tht
but
probly because tht
is unfair and would probly then count as a light tank
Old 30 May 2006, 20:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also, look at real-world apc's and, well, attack helicopters.

Very few of those carry any significant weapons, because that add unecessary weight that defeat the purpose of the vehicle -quick in, quick out.
No apc I know of carry more than a heavy machine gun and a small calibre autocannon -enough to get you out of a sticky situation and no more.

Burst cannons and the like are for dedicated weapons platforms, like a battle tank.

Play with fire - get burned ... play with concrete - get cured
Old 30 May 2006, 20:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ammunition space, the extra armour and power required for them would be the background reason - you reach a point where you can't just make the capacitors that little bit bigger, as you then need to make the generator and anti-grav engines just that bit larger to accomodate them which in turn leads to larger capacitors and energy requirements. Per second, railguns will likely use less energy than pulse weaponry (as it discharges in one go) but require a larger maximum power - essentially all this is eating into your passenger space and increasing your mass.

More importantly from a style point of view, especially where things are built of similar chasis like in 40K, you need some more obvious discriminations between transports and tanks. Sponson weapons make this a lot easier to change the profiles without having to mess with the main chasis.

As for pirhanas, they are like they are because of FW. There is a sponson using model out now (though it loses the central weapon pod, replacing it with a targetting array like all Tau dedicated fighting vehicles) but originally the idea was likely from devilfish/speeder conversion ideas, hence the drone carrier.
Old 30 May 2006, 21:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Piranhas & Devilfish

For the Devilfish I see no reason not to, the Hammerhead can do it and all other obvious reasons not to are somewhat out of the window because of the SMS upgrade which is the more pricey option the Hammerhead can take. Id imagine those targeting systems and the large number of missils themselves would take more space and energy than a couple of burst cannons, a weapon a battlesuit can easily mount two of and enough amunition can be carried by a single stealth suit. Obviously they are a light, space efficient and what seems to be a light energy demanding weapon yet the Devilfish cant take it...

I would love to see a Warfish with 3 burst cannons... might be a little overpowered but it can already take the SMS so why not the shots all need LOS and have a shorter range. Maybe up the cost to 20pts instead of the dirt cheap Hammerhead cost of 10pts.

Old 30 May 2006, 21:40   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would also like to see an option for the Hammerhead to drop its Targeting array and add a nose-mounted Burst Cannon. Then you could add the Forge World Burst Cannon turret. Dakka dakka dakka.
Old 30 May 2006, 22:12   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i wish we could have burst cannons on piranahas that way i could have 9 shots from each vehicle and that would rock especially for around 60 points.
Old 31 May 2006, 00:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewain
No apc I know of carry more than a heavy machine gun and a small calibre autocannon -enough to get you out of a sticky situation and no more.
TOW missile launcher, will kill more than just the tank with its 50 pound warhead, which is mounted on a M113 APC. The Bradley has a TOW and a 50mm turreted autocannon, again both more than capable of taking on heavy armor.
Old 31 May 2006, 00:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I would also like to see an option for the Hammerhead to drop its Targeting array and add a nose-mounted Burst Cannon. Then you could add the Forge World Burst Cannon turret. Dakka dakka dakka.
Ewww, BS 3 Railgun? No thank you.