Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is Fish of Fury Cheesy?
View Poll Results: Is Fish of Fury Cheesy?
Yes 13 15.12%
No 73 84.88%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2006, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef
Default Is Fish of Fury Cheesy?

This question has came up with my friend. (For those of you who read my past post about FOF even being legal...I knew it was but I had to prove it to my friend).

My friend says that it is the cheesiest tactic in the game. It involves no stratigy and is based of of a rule that I am taking advantage of.

He says that this rule is being pushed to far...and I am not breaking any rules....I am USING the rules to my advantage.

He dosent make any sense.

So vote!
Old 30 May 2006, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Is Fish of Fury Cheesy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky_beef
This question has came up with my friend. (For those of you who read my past post about FOF even being legal...I knew it was but I had to prove it to my friend).

My friend says that it is the cheesiest tactic in the game. It involves no stratigy and is based of of a rule that I am taking advantage of.

He says that this rule is being pushed to far...and I am not breaking any rules....I am USING the rules to my advantage.

He dosent make any sense.

So vote!
no way in hell is FoF cheesy. rules allow it, and it is in no way overpowered. just because he can't whack the fire warriors with the butt end of his boltguns does not mean there are not extremely effective ways to counter it.

and if cheese was "based of of a rule that I am taking advantage of", then ANY other army with ANY special rules of ANY kind are automatically cheesy. Blood Angels for furious charge. Space Wolves for true grit. "Hey, it makes them better in assault! and you need no strategy to use it! and you are taking advantage of a rule that gives you an advantage! therefore space wolves are cheesy...." See how ridiculous this argument is.

Something that is extraordinarily effective and monstrously overpowered can be categorised as cheesy. But not a handy trick like our Fishing, due to it being very not powerful except under specific conditions.

tell your mate where to shove it! and do it cheerfully! ;D

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 30 May 2006, 17:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In my opinion Fish of Fury is fair game. It does involve strategy and its pretty hard to set up in a place where its most effective.

The rules for it aren't being pushed to the limits since it makes out in clear wording that you can deploy, shoot and fire underneath skimmers. Not all on one page, but its not abusing unclear rules.
Old 30 May 2006, 17:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

FoF is far from cheesy and is actualy not a great tactic in and of itself. Chaos can do a hundred things that are far more cheesy without trying and thats just chaos. Your friend is just complaining.

Old 30 May 2006, 21:20   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

cheesy? no. useful? yes. i just really started using this against every1 recently and i realize that WOW! this is ez to pull off, and now that i think about it yes this can be cheesy only when your concentrating your entire army's fire power into a squad, yah i could see this being called cheesy. but thats just me....
Old 30 May 2006, 21:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

so, focus fire is cheesy??

thats a good one.

seriously, focus fire is a logical strategy. Put enough firepower into something to make sure it goes down. if it takes your entire army to do so, then so be it.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 30 May 2006, 21:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Focused fire power is essential to a Tau army.

Identify threats, use superior mobility to get into a position to attack the threat. Focus firepower on it until it's gone then move onto the next unit. Usually if I'm doing Fish of Fury I'm hitting a unit with two of my own units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 30 May 2006, 21:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

This comes up time and time again. It really shouldn't be in my opinion any more, because it's had it's day and it died a long time ago in terms of arguing if was for real or not.

The simple fact of the matter:

Every army with a transport has been doing Drop Attacks since this game was invented. The sisters of battle are one of the most notorious, calling them "Drive Bys." Every army with a transport can easily just move up, get out, and shoot at something more effectively. It's how you get flamers into range fast and effectively, it's how you put meltas to something's face, and it's how you put your plasma into range fast as well.

The difference in Tau is NO DIFFERENT than any army with Skimmer transports. All skimmers that are transports do this, not just Tau. The real difference in Tau, is that our basic weapon is Strength 5, whilst most other skimmer based armies have basic weapons of Strength 3. Big difference. That's why it's more popular to talk about using Tau to pull of Drop Attacks.

Is this cheesy and abuse of a rule? No, it's not abuse, nor cheesy.

The sole difference in doing a Drop Attack with Fire Warriors from a Devilfish compared to a Space Marine squad doing it from a rhino is that Skimmers never block line of sight. It's that simple; black & white. They do not block line of sight. Therefore, there's no reason other than pure argumentative sake, that someone would want to say that they cannot see through a skimmer.

Is this what sets people off? No. Of course not. It's rather simple to read that Skimmers don't block line of sight.

The thing that gets people's panties in a bind, is that while the skimmer doesn't block line of sight, it does block assault paths. There is NO rule in our codex that states a vehicle, or any kind, does NOT block assault paths. Why would they assume that suddenly just because people started using it openly with their Devilfish that it was abuse? It's not. It's called something they didn't think about and were surprised by, as they didn't know the rules as well as they imagined they did. So now they're whining about it as it's "too powerful" when it really is NOT oh so powerful.

--- If your friend thinks this is cheesy or abuse, ask him why it's ok to have 30 Starcannons or 30 Heavy Bolters in an army list that other armies cannot even hope to mass up against, or the mother of them all: Siren.

[size=12pt]He can argue until his face is blue and the Mississippi turns red, but in the end, it's only because it's something he's not using and it's being used against him and therefore automatically is some kind of bad form. Give him a box of Kleenex.[/size]

Cheers!
Old 30 May 2006, 21:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

chease ROFL sorry but i've seen better examples of cheasy and this is so not chease it plastic. drive bys are not cheasy. FOF isnt all ways usefull any way against those who can move 18", those who can bring down the devil fish successfully. those who are all realy intransports, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
--- If your friend thinks this is cheesy or abuse, ask him why it's ok to have 30 Starcannons or 30 Heavy Bolters in an army list that other armies cannot even hope to mass up against, or the mother of them all: Siren.
"Siren" hah just use "Touched by a Fish" and then procced to rail gun them.
Old 30 May 2006, 23:24   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

when i said i this move could be seen as cheesy i meant from my opponents perspective, i dont actually think its cheesy i think its awesome.
Closed Thread