Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with Suit configs
Closed Thread
Old 29 May 2006, 14:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Help with Suit configs

I was a Gamesday volunteer and took the oppurtunity to not only get some Forge world stuff but also get enough models to finish my Tau army.

I now have 2500 points of Tau, about 50% of which is finished! Woo hoo!

Now the big thing I'm unsure of it how to equip my battle suits. I don't have magnets and honestly speaking if I have to order them over the net, I'm not going to get them. So Changing configs is a bit of a hassel.

Anyways here's what I've got. How should I equip them? Also any advice on what to do with a Shas'O Rymyr model? I've got some conversion ideas for him but suggestions are welcome.

What I currently have.

1 Helios suit
1 Deathrain

2 Mounted squad of firewarriors
2 Foot squads of warriors w/ shas'ui/markerlight
2 Squads of Kroot

3 Pirhanas
1 Squad of 8 Pathfinders/fish
6 Vespid

2 XV-88-2 Broadsides
1 Railhead
1 ion head

Now typically I run my commander as a helios. I'm thinking that i can use my current commander model as a bodyguard and use one of the new Forgeworld suits I got as a Shas'el helios. I think it could be effective, though I don't like losing IC Status.
Additionally I got the crisis commander box and I want to make a CIB Suit.

Suit wise in total I have

1- Shas'o Rymyr
1- XV 84
1 - commadner suit
1 - suit
1 -deatrain
1- helios

Help would be great, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 29 May 2006, 15:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Help with Suit configs

Hey man,

You can probably guess what I'm going to say, but here it is anyways: Missile Pods!

Granted; what you choose should reflect who you play most often and how you play. But whatever you choose, you simply cannot go wrong with missile pods. They are the most flexible weapon we have, and they fill that crucial mid-strength range that Tau lack so much of (such as lightly armored skimmers, transports, etc).

You already have one death rain.
You already have a helios.

And now you have 4 new suits to setup?

I'd suggest then:

CIB / Helios Shas'O(s) - You mentioned you wanted a CIB in there. For fun I assume? In that case, how fun do you want to get? You know you have to get within 18 inches to use it well, so you probably plan on being aggressive. Otherwise, you could use it as a counter measure to hit fast moving infantry coming to you instead. Either way is fine.

Here's a few examples of how you could kit a Commander to have a solo career, but a good one:

Shas'O (ROF, 8x Dice!)
-CIB
-Burst Cannon (you can sub in a plasma rifle, but requires 12 inches for best use)
Multi-tracker
Vectored Thrusters
Stimms

He throws out 8 dice. Slices right through most infantry. He can get into combat if he must, such as being charge, he wil survive with 4 wounds and stimms, and be able to break off and spray them again with 8x dice death.

Shas'O (helios, hit & run)
-Plasma Rifle
-Fusion Blaster
Multi-tracker
Vectored Thrusters
Stimms

Again, he does what the other ones do, but closer. He hunts at 12 inches for the supreme 3x MEQ kills. If they assault him, you have fairly good chances of being ok with 4 wounds and stimms; you simply hit & run out and blast them again, which will probably level the rest of the marines. Great for interception and countering assault marines. Just avoid the powerfist if possible!

Death Rain

Keep your Death Rains. Two of them are great. You have plenty of space for them, so load up. Cheap death rains. You can go with Pods & Flamer, or Pods & Array. Whatever you prefer. But either way, I'd highly recommend at least two of them in your list; great for busting land speeders and other transports, especially skimmers. And of course, great at killing normal average infantry from range.

Alternative

XV8
-Plasma Rifle
-Burst Cannon
Multi-tracker

Great way to put on the hurt. If you have several of them in a squad, hooked up with Shield Drones, they become quite deadly and quite durable. You can also do it with a commander, but it's not required. Generally best when used as a squad; not solo. Just an option for you.

Shas'o Rymyr

If you want to use him as a normal commander, and not using his own rules, then I would recommend something like an Iridium Armor based setup. Maybe a tough decoy for your opponent. Example:

Shas'O
-Plasma Rifle (twinlinked on model, but whatever?)
-Fusion Blaster
(optional missile pod as a 3rd weapon for flexibility?)
Iridium Armor, Multi-tracker
Drone Controller with 2x Shield Drones

Yes he's targetable, but for good reason. He's non-scoring, so if your opponent focuses on him instead of a scoring unit--then good for you. It's a tough squad of 6 wounds with 2+/4+ saves here. Very tough. If you ever fancy the idea of attempting a deep strike attack, he's basically a helios who can do it, and survive it. Or you can even hunt a vehicle, or monstrous creature. Up to you. He'll be targeted when doing that, so the drones are there to take whatever major heat your opponent throws your way, within reason. Obviously he won't eat 30 lascannons, but 1 or 2, or a few plasma is relatively taken and survivable.

--- Anyhow, just some ideas for you

Cheers!

Old 29 May 2006, 15:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hey thanks for the advice Mal!

I currently run my Death rain as a Twin-missile/flamer and I'm certainly going to get a 2nd one. The lone deathrain has never failed me and when i've proxied a second one it's not been pleasant for my opponent.

I'm probably going to run the CIB suit (in smaller games) as Burst cannon/CIB/Targetarray/HWMT on a Shas'el. 88 points for 8 shots of fun. Though the Stims/thrusters on a Shas'O in larger games sounds like a lot of fun.

I don't have any problem with running short ranged suits 12-18" becuase I do like to play fairly agressively, it's just fun to see someone's expression when the Tau are rushing TOWARDS them.

The Armoured tank Rym'yr suit sounds amusing and tempting, but I think I may have some other plans for the model... I'm still going to have to decide for sure though.

And that just leaves the XV-84 I want to use as another command suit. I think I'm going to make it a helios, so then I'll have two of them, I've had fairly good luck with it and it will look pretty awesome. Plus I don't have to use it as a shas'el, so I could sometimes just run a squad of dual helios shas'uis.

Thanks!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 30 May 2006, 19:36   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My comander shas'o ukos english traslation : fire comander spoon(!)
has the following (here goes!)

missile pod, fusion blaster, h-w target lock stim injecty thing, iridium armore plates h-w multi-tracker and blacksun filter

he is tooled for mas-tank-hunting-destruction, his orignal purpous was to wreak havok amist my friend's imperial army
Old 30 May 2006, 19:59   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

make them Burning Eyes and make them have shield generaters they'll burn anything to the ground mine do anyway ;D
Old 30 May 2006, 20:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think I've made some decisions.

Here's what I'll have

1- standard helios
1- XV-84 suit will be built as normal but I'll use the ry'myrs plasma rifle arm and not attach the markerlight spine. I'll run him as a helios shas'el with targetting array, ry'myrs rifle will count as a single plasma rifle.
2 - deathrains with flamers, i've already made one of these and i really like how the conversion looks like so having two of them will be nice.
1- Shas'el with CIB and burst cannon, targetting array, nice and simple and shooty.

Total suits: 5

After that i'll still have most of Ry'myr left, but I'll leave him till later, there's future plans for him
Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread