Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Better crisis config for cityfight?
Closed Thread
Old 28 May 2006, 12:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Better crisis config for cityfight?

The CoD book is coming soon...

So i wonder...what's (or what are) the best crisis suit config in cityfight?

And what about commanders?

I think Aurora suits could do really really well....what do YOU think?

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 28 May 2006, 12:43   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to A neutral shade of black.
Default Re: Better crisis config for cityfight?

Heatwave suits. TLF against cover saves = win, especially considering how much damage TLF doles out (template, no use of BS3 + reroll To Wound? Yes please) and the fact that cover will be widely available to get there.

Aurora also definitely have a place; in fact, anything that throws out massice amounts of shots should do fairly well.
Old 28 May 2006, 15:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I imagine suits would also have tremendous fun dancing around the roof tops. Suit heavy lists would probably work very well in city-fight.
Old 28 May 2006, 16:15   #4 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

Have you ever read "Starship Troopers"--- the book not the movie? the first chapter is soldiers in rockit assisted armour juming around in an alien city, causing big problems. not really realavent, but very similar

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
Old 28 May 2006, 16:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglim

I think it will greatly depend on which stratagems you're taking, and which opponent you're facing and most importantly how your terrain is setup.

The suits I will be looking at, are dakka suits. But also, cheap suits. Stealthsuits are great and all, but T3 leads to easy wounding (and more failed saves). T4 can help lower than saving throw count a bit. The trade off being Str8 weapons making more a dent in the T4 crowd.

And another important thing to remember is that typically you will only see 6 inches into a building/area terrain. So you will be losing range, unless you are situated up high or on a clear stretch of road or something. So you may want to start planning for some closer range action, if you aren't already.

Anyhow, some things to keep in mind:

XV8 x 3 ~ 141 points.
-Twinlinked BurstCannons x 3
-Targetting Arrays x 3

While this may seem like an inefficient use of an elite slot, it does have something for us. The difference will be what you want in a your suits: reliability or potential. Personally, I like reliability because I hate having a moment where all I needed was one dice to work and it doesn't. So I love re-rolls. Anyhow, the above has very good odds of hitting nearly all their shots. It's about on par with a full 6 man stealth team, but for 40 points less, in terms of putting a reliable amount of wounds on infantry. The difference is, Stealths have a slightly higher chance on average and a much higher potential. So while stealths are better suits for burst cannons; again, depending on how you want your fire power to be, you can make your XV8's pull off some very reliable shots as well, for relatively cheap. If survivability is a question, simply take a team leader, bond and fill up 2 shield drones for a good scoring unit that can output some serious reliable dakka power.

Beefed up for protection:

XV8 x 3 ~ 181 points.
-Twinlinked BurstCannons x 3
-Targetting Arrays x 3
Team Leader with Bonding
-Drone Controller and 2x Shield Drones

[hr]

XV8 x 3 ~ 150 points.
-Burst Cannon x 3
-Missile Pod x 3
-Multi-trackers x 3

Again, another dakka setup; very common one at that. We put out 15 dice, for 150 points, just like stealths put out 15 dice for 150 points. The difference is, we get some higher strength shots in there, which means, more chances to deal more and better wounds depending on what we're firing at. If they even get a chance to have a markerlight (not all that likely though), they get some pretty good odds of firing a torrent of dakka. But again, basically a substitute for stealthsuits, unless you simply need missile pods; they're not reliable though, even with lots of dice, without twinlinking or markerlights though (in my opinion). And again, for protection, we can still take a team leader, bonded, and some shield drones. Invulnerable saves will work; where cover saves may not.

Beefed up:

XV8 x 3 ~ 190 points.
-Burst Cannon x 3
-Missile Pod x 3
-Multi-trackers x 3
Team Leader with Bonding
-Drone Controller with 2x Shield Drones

[hr]

--- Overall, I'd probably be avoiding the 12 inch range guns and templates. You have to get very close for this, and you probably won't last long doing it--again though, this is based on which stratagem you take; flamers can be insane with a fuel dump card for example--especially twin flamers. But this will require a lot of situational favor on your side of things to pull off realistically as a jetpack using infantry jumping around in difficult terrain and with low model count.

--- Cover saves are every where; but plasma is still useful. The difference will be though, that massing plasma will not be so useful on a regular basis. You may see more burst cannon action due to this.

So something to consider:

HQ slots

While solo characters are efficient they also steal your ability to build up a strong mecha number (if you're into minimizing those troops; which many are!). If you use your HQ and the *gasp* body guards to build up cheap twin-linked dakka approaches or cheap dakka suits in general, you can get a good assortment of upwards of 2 scoring units with great leadership, great numbers of wounds, and solid damage output for a higher price than normal; but as a trade off, more room for more elites.

Elite slots

If you're using your HQ slots to fill out the mobile guns some more, without the use of FireWarriors or Kroot, you can easily use your Elites to field one more team of XV8s. If you used both your HQ slots, it's like having 5 total elites, which means you have some room for 2 Stealth Teams. So that begs the question: Do you want solo characters that are efficient, or do you want 5 elites, which are relatively efficient and mobile, without the use of a transport and with twinlinking options (ie: replacement for large assortments of FireWarriors; allowing for more Kroot action to be used, in small supply).

[hr]

Depending on which doctrine and which forum you're looking at, I think you may find more HQ suits with body guards than you will find elseware. Even competitive games consist of them. Plus, there's a big trend on lowering the troops, especially in Cities of Death testing.

But hey, those are just opinions

Cheers!
Old 28 May 2006, 17:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGS
Have you ever read "Starship Troopers"--- the book not the movie? the first chapter is soldiers in rockit assisted armour juming around in an alien city, causing big problems. not really realavent, but very similar
This is why I play Tau :P
Old 30 May 2006, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In all terrain i stick to me ol' fusion blaster and m. pod, but in the city i might suggest the soul cleanse config?
Old 30 May 2006, 19:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:

What are Aurora suits, I've never heard of that particular load out before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 30 May 2006, 20:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Quote:

What are Aurora suits, I've never heard of that particular load out before.
I think its burst cannon and CIB, for the most shots a single suit can throw out in one go. Might be coupled with plasma instead though for the most effective anti MEQ unit.

quote fixed - Khanaris
Old 30 May 2006, 22:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

Burstcannons as the Cityfiht weapon? What about flamers? And AFP's? and Retros?

One convig is Shas'vre with TL Flamers and Retros. Flamers ignore cover and the wound re-roll is great power, the retros allow him to get out of tight spots he will routinel get in to.

My Tau are Citygiht, and I'l soon post my convigs. I dont purposely use any config, I put on the guns that I think wil do best. Its actually the Sca'cea Sept's fluff- the battlesuit pilots are enoguraged to arm however they want, insto of according to traditional idctums, like these suit configs. My own path!

"In war, laws are silent"
Closed Thread