Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's the deal with Kroot?
Closed Thread
Old 26 May 2006, 20:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What's the deal with Kroot?

Hey everyone...I'm just wondering why the Kroot are considered sub-par close combat troops. I dont really like the look of the models, but their stats seem pretty solid considering strength 4, high number of attacks, and low point costs. Now they do have obvious weaknesses, but it seems to be these guys should do pretty well in most fights (maybe not against marines, necrons, genestealers) but against guard, average orks and most eldar? anyways, I'd appreciate anyones thoughts.
Old 26 May 2006, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Whats the deal with Kroot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried
Hey everyone...I'm just wondering why the Kroot are considered sub-par close combat troops. I dont really like the look of the models, but their stats seem pretty solid considering strength 4, high number of attacks, and low point costs. Now they do have obvious weaknesses, but it seems to be these guys should do pretty well in most fights (maybe not against marines, necrons, genestealers) but against guard, average orks and most eldar? anyways, I'd appreciate anyones thoughts.
I don't personally use Kroots but I have played agains them with my Witch hunters and Guard. I find they just don't stand up to shooting as well as fire warriors do. The other fact that they can't take a transport makes them rather static and their dependency on forests to get the +1 cover save sort of forces placement in a forest. With flames coming back into popularity it neutralizes their effectiveness as they don't get their cover save then.
Old 26 May 2006, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Not to mention even on the charge they will generally strike second (I3 sucks) that seriously reduces the number of attacks they get with only a maximum 6+ save, so they usually under-perform.

They are still good for controlling enemy movement and as a static pillbox though...cheap infiltrators are nothing to be looked down at.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 26 May 2006, 20:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

The biggest flaw with kroot is their saves: a 1/6 chance is really on the low end for a CC unit. Also one issuse is the (comparitive) lack of special weapons. Most other races can take additional weapons for cc, be it pistols, power weapons, lighting claws, scything claws, or whatever. Kroot rifles are rapid fire, so there is no chance to use them to soften up the enemy before a charge.

They are the Tau CC experts, but they can't take on the CC experts of most other races, except with overwhealming supperiority of numbers. They are best used aginsts either shooty units, or small groups of MEQ's (really small groups).

One option I would like to see, either as a house rule or a chapter approved, would be to giving the shaper the option to take a pulse pistol- something seemingly left out of the codex. A cut-down (assult) version of the kroot rifle would also be a major improvement.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Old 26 May 2006, 20:21   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

whoa.......2 replies posted as I try to post this one? Well........

They are average in close combat because they have a low initiative for an assault unit. They also die rather easily as they have no armour save, unless you purchase a kroot shaper and the extra armour, both which sucked.

They are best used as meat-shields, not bait. They are somewhat tough enough to withstand an assault for one turn(and one turn only against any assault army). Thus they can hold the opponent's assault units at bay as you move your troops away from the assault troops.

I used kroots as they are a migraine to my oponents. They are there to protect my troops from being assaulted. However, they tend to draw the most fire power and assault power of any kind. So somehow, against my ideas they become fire magnets. But with a punch to destroy Orcs and Farseers. Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 26 May 2006, 20:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis_vyper
whoa.......2 replies posted as I try to post this one? Well........

They are average in close combat because they have a low initiative for an assault unit. They also die rather easily as they have no armour save, unless you purchase a kroot shaper and the extra armour, both which sucked.

They are best used as meat-shields, not bait. They are somewhat tough enough to withstand an assault for one turn(and one turn only against any assault army). Thus they can hold the opponent's assault units at bay as you move your troops away from the assault troops.

I used kroots as they are a migraine to my oponents. They are there to protect my troops from being assaulted. However, they tend to draw the most fire power and assault power of any kind. So somehow, against my ideas they become fire magnets. But with a punch to destroy Orcs and Farseers. Been there, done that.
One other thing I thought of is counter infiltrators. For 70 pts you get a 10 man scoring unit that can push back enemy infiltrators. Though for 20 pts more you can have 3 stealth suits
Old 26 May 2006, 20:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The problem with the Kroot is that they have no saves.

Even with a Shaper, they have a poor 6+ save.

By the time the Kroot goes hand to hand with the enemy, most of them are dead from enemy fire.
Old 26 May 2006, 21:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

Here is something to consider:

Basic Orks have a [EDITED]

Kroot have [EDITED]

hmmmmm.....

[size=8pt]It's clearly stated in our forum rules not to post statlines or point costs, let alone both. Don't do it. - mace[/size]
Old 26 May 2006, 21:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Yep, Kroot are better than orks, if you charge. If they charge, that's WAAAAAGH!, which means they hit first and kill lots of da kroots.

Kroot weaknesses include:

- Low initiative. They are faster than orks without WAAAGH!, and necrons, and enemy Tau, but little else.

- Low T and Save. This means that nearly all of your opponents' hits translate into kills.

- Poor leadership. Combined with the above disadvantages, Kroot will lose a LOT of combats. When they do, they will be often testing on a razor's edge of LD, with LD7 providing a slightly above 50% success rate. You can now pay 21 points for the shaper upgrade, which by itself confers LD8. This helps a lot, but often those 20 points could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 26 May 2006, 22:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I keep them in cover as a small firebase (they are still the strength of bolters) after using them to disrupt possible enemy infiltrators. The odd time them will get to charge or rapid fire an enemy unit that gets too close.

I find the kroot only excel in close combat versus gaurdsmen, and sometimes gaurdians.

-"We hit that bullseye and the rest of the dominoes will fall down like a house of cards. Checkmate."

- "He who laughs last....didn't get it."
Closed Thread