Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

4 Pathfinders, 3 with rail - use as snipers? worth it?
Closed Thread
Old 26 May 2006, 14:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 4 Pathfinders, 3 with rail - use as snipers? worth it?

The discussion on pathfinders and warfish (instead of bitching about the cost, consider it a "free" medium tank) got me thinking about the possibility of using a warfish and 4 pathfinders (3 with rail) unit.

Using the scout move, place them in area terrain with a good LOS and somewhere around 30 - 36" away from the enemy. The non-RR member will primarily be using his ML for general ML purposes. But the 3 RR PF could be used to take out small units (HQ's for example that aren't ICs) and even light vehicles. It's an 88 point unit (98 if you want the 'ui for Ld).

It would be protected (cover), probably further back in the lines then anything else (so the enemy would need Ld rolls to target them) and in the early game pie-plates will most likely be targeting higher point/larget squads.

What do you all think?

I'm ignoring the cost of the warfish as it would be used as a supplemental tank.
Old 26 May 2006, 15:06   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 4 Pathfinders, 3 with rail - use as snipers? worth it?

A 4-man squad three of them with RR and the other with ML...? This sounds like an SD Team.It's 80 pts instead of 98,same armament and Sv,except that SD teams tend to be unexpected long-lasting(long-living)!!

From my experience,SD Teams are one of the most "resilient" Tau units right now.36' with Stealth Field,target lock,RR AND a hard-wired ML it's a real pain in almost every match-up.In my Hybrid list 2xSD teams are default options.

About Warfish...not a fan.With a few more points you could have an Ionhead...OR 2x Piranhas.
Old 26 May 2006, 15:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

You could but Pathfinders are probably better used for their markerlights. Sniper Drone teams work well but if your mech and dont feel like giving up a heavy support slot then you could possibly use Pathfinders and let their Devilfish serve as a warfish and minor gunship.

Old 26 May 2006, 15:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thing is, you might as well have the rest of the squad for the markerlight goodness... And if you take a sky ray, those markerlights CAN sorta count as rail rifles for a turn or two...
Old 26 May 2006, 22:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think it shows some creative thinking. I can't say I woud employ a PF team that way, but ideas like this are worth kicking around.

FiveRings
Old 26 May 2006, 22:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've tried this, and it was kind of interesting, but in teh end it didn't work. However, there was a memorable experience when I pinned a marine veteran squad with teh railfrifles and destroyed a scout squad with a markerlight and a HH sub (3rd ed). That was the only time they really shown though. Kind of sucked. I wouldn't do it, even with the Warfish. Two SD teams are more effective.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 27 May 2006, 00:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Remember in a Tau army the word pin is the way to win. Put more vanila PF's in the unit so you have carbines to protect the snipers when things get close and use their ML's to enhance the BS and Pinning abilities of the snipers.

But the 4 man squad of snipers is best left to SD's

"His name doesn't make any sense! How can you be a commander, Aun AND volenteer at the same time!?!"

translated parts of suspicous conversation about the Mal'caor'la 8.05.10990
Old 27 May 2006, 02:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

I find sniper drones allot better with the team you spend less points and you have like a shinny sheck to fire at them
Old 27 May 2006, 04:25   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

If you are already paying for the Devilfish, I see no reason to scrimp on the Markerlights. I would argue that a Markerlight is superior to a Rail Rifle in the hands of a Pathfinder in almost every respect. If you must field all three Rail Rifles, I would also field the five Markerlights.
Old 27 May 2006, 11:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

So you are suggesting a 78-point unit with 4 rail rifles and 1 markerlight, plus the cost of the devilfish, instead of sniper drones?

The only reason I can see for you to take this unit is if all your heavy support slots are taken (which occurs rather often, I've found). Having said that, I agree with FiveRings, good idea.

Thinking a tad bit more about it, it actually has some advantages over sniper drones. It is a fast attack option, meaning you can probably deploy after the rest of the armies. You also have the scout rule, meaning they can better manoeuvre into position before the game starts. Well, I still suppose the sniper drones are better due to the shielding etc. However, if you don't want to lose that 3rd Hammerhead...

~Olannon
Closed Thread