Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help with Genestealers
Closed Thread
Old 22 May 2006, 20:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default help with Genestealers

ai aight, folks. just played my first game, 1,000 pts vs. nids. one question. what the f*** are we tau players supposed to do about the freakin' genestealers? first turn assault killed all 12 of my kroot in one squad, then was able to assault my fire warriors instantly, giving me no chance to fire on anything. advice please. oh, about the game. we didn't finish it, but I killed all of his units except the hive tyrant and the genestealers. 8) pretty good for a first game, eh? but he killed both of my FW squads and several crisis suits, and all my stealth suits, all with the genestealers.
okay...so...this is my signature...yep...why are you even reading this? its not like I'm important...I'm just the ranting madman in the corner...whaddaya want me to do, say something wierd? well F*** that...
Old 22 May 2006, 20:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: help with Genestealers

Only having a 5+ save, they are easy to kill IMO. The following weapons should stop them with no trouble.

Pulse Rifles
Burst Cannons
Railgun Submunion Round
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Airbursting Fragmentation Projector

All negate their saves, and can either (1) stay out of distance or (2) kill lots of them.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 22 May 2006, 20:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I don't know how well my advice for taking out genestealers will work, but whenever I play them I try to take em out as soon as possible with a sub-munition blast or firewarriors. I always make sure that there are kroot between them and my firewarriors too.
Old 22 May 2006, 21:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Key to beating genestealers is not put yourself in a position to be assaulted.

How to do this well;

1) Unless you get the first infiltrate move I wouldn't bother infiltrating as it will be hard to push him to back so you are better off deploying your guys along our board edge after he places his first.

2) Make sure you have 6.1" between your squads so he can't sweeping advance from squad to squad

3) Start your FW's dismounted as if doing the FoF tactic. That way if you lose the first turn he has to assault the vehicle. He might kill it with rending but then you have 12 firewarriors and your kroot behind it waiting to shoot him up. If you get first turn, mount up and start moving shooting up his stealers as they only have at most a 4+ Armor save and that is a lot points if he is tweaking them that much.

4) Tau rule at killing hordes. Everything we have will wound usually on a 2 or 3 and give them no armor save or a 50% save

5) Also remember that once you start moving in skimmers he needs 6's to hit you in CC

6) Pulse fire, submunitions, SMS, Burst Cannons, Missle Pods all kill Tyranids

Use some of these tactics and you should do ok
Old 22 May 2006, 22:16   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks for the tips everyone (especially FS Tanis :P) I didn't really understand the sweeping advance rule, thats how he annhilated my army. so I'll try to space them better next time.
okay...so...this is my signature...yep...why are you even reading this? its not like I'm important...I'm just the ranting madman in the corner...whaddaya want me to do, say something wierd? well F*** that...
Old 22 May 2006, 23:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If he inflitrates, that means that he is 18" from your lines. Unless he gets 1st turn, any gun you care to name (except pulase pistol) will be in range. That said, piont at least 2 squads of FWs rifles to them. Don't split your fire, you can't gurantee sucess with BS3. (even with AP5). If they start farther away. Use hammerhead subs.
Old 22 May 2006, 23:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd like to point out that every tyranid player with half a brain gives their genestealers extended carapce, for the obvious reason of how many weapons negate a 5+ save. So all the beforementioned AP5 weapons have a 50% chance of bouncing off most genestealers.

My advice is to use submunitions, they negate saves and use the large blast template, nothing better in the list for killing nids. Aside from that, genestealers are expensive, massed fire is generally worthwhile against them.
Old 22 May 2006, 23:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

speaking as the other half the brain, I don't buy extended carapace for two reasons:

1. pts. I play a hybrid zilla/stealer list and need the points available.

2. manueverability. between the scuttlers ability and terrain I don't rely on an armor save.

basically you shouldn't infiltrate anything (you might be able to get away with stealths, but only if you can jsj effectively, and getting first turn doesn't hurt either - see above for why)

also nids are one of the few armies that burst cannons are insanely good against. and your pulse carbines and pulse rifles are just as good.
Old 23 May 2006, 03:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, gaunts drop like flies to pulse rifles/burst cannons. Personally I'd be scared to face a zilla army though, I play MEQ and I can only fit in so many AP2/AP1 weapons.
Old 23 May 2006, 03:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

DON'T ALLOW THEM TO CONSOLODATE INTO OTHER UNITS.

When they hit one of your units get the hell out of dodge. This goes with every single unit better than the Tau in close combat. When a squad is assaulted you should make sure none of your units are within six inches of it, twelve preferably. Ten Genestealers can destroy an unlimited amount of points of Tau if they can remain in close combat at all times. Think of assaulting units as a disease. When they get sick you need to quarantine them.
Closed Thread