36 Firewarriors
24 Kroot
1 Commander Crisis Suit
2 Crisis suits
3 Stealth Suits
6 Pathfinders
3 Devilfish
Sniper Drone

I'll be playing my first game against Orks (actually, my first game in over a year and my first game with the 4th edition rules). Can someone take a few moments and let me know how I should took up my Crisis suits? I was thinking of using the FoF tactic against the Orks - how do you think that would work? I don't know exactly what list my friend will be using, although I don't believe it will be the Cult of Speed.

Any assistance will be greately appreciated!

Mods - if I posted this on the wrong board, please excuse my ignorace and move it to where you see fit.

Thanks

LIG
Old 22 May 2006, 17:02   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Help with Orks

use Missle pods on suits, if he is using kult of speed, if not burst canons. lots of burst cannons.
(although you said he probably won't be using kult of speed,be prepared)

Answer: tomorrow
Old 22 May 2006, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I say use missile pods anyways. If memory serves me I think nobz are only have 4+ saves. All those Firewarriors can take care of the other orks. One carbine squad might not be bad, mounted or not they could make life hard on your opponent.

FoF could work pretty well, especially if its markerlight assisted. Staying mounted protects you from all those choppas too. HH with pie plates are a must, as are the sniper drones, because they can pin three squads a turn!

My list would be:

HQ 1 Shas'o w/CIB and MP and any other junk

Elites 2 Crisis, One as 'vre both with Twin Linked MP, the 'vre with an AFP and a HWMT, and the other suit with whatever
3 Stealths

Troops 24 FW with rifles, Mounted
12 FW with carbines, (Mounted if you can, they're still mobile if not - effective range of 24")
24 kroot (meat shield or counter attack if you get unlucky)

Fast Attack 6 Pathfinders (for all the pinning bonuses and of course BS ups), mounted

Heavy Support 2 HH both with Subs.
1 Sniper (three drones + spotter)

PS: Orks are a very fun army to play against. Always check the codex cause a bunch of stuff they do makes no sense, and in the codex it's tricky to find stuff. Regardless good luck.
Old 22 May 2006, 19:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's best work either hybrid or static. Mech Tau will suffer here as Orks are generally faster than our tanks (Speed freaks are even worse).

My stradegy: 1 flank, 1 deepstrike plus an effective firebase.

Flank units: (deploy in either right or left flank with most cover)

Pathfinders: Markerlights are perfect for horde type armies. Generally, most players would either run away or kill them as fast as they can. Orks' weapons are short-ranged. Thus, they would either try to get close enough to shoot you with vehicles or charge you with a large squad of Orks. Work this to your advantage. Markerlight them and use the pathfinders as a lure to get the Orks within pulse rifle range or railgun (sub) range.

Pirahanas: Forget Fusion blasters. Unless you are trying to pop a battle wagon/fortress you wouldn't need that. Run them along the side of the board, out of Ork gun's range and target fast vehicles are Storm boyz. (they move way too fast to ignore). It's very easy to pop buggies/trukks no matter what side you shoot at them. However, don't move them too far ahead that they can't be supported by your firebase.

Deepstrike (Deepstrike on opposite flank and group them close, but not close enough to be hit by lobbas and other blast weapons. USE JSJ as much as you can to aviod assaults).

Commander: Best combo: CIB, BC, TA, HW MT on a Shas'el. That can pump out 8 BS 5 shots and that would very easily put nice dents in Ork squads. This is the "anchor" for your deepstrike units.

Crisis: MP, BC, MT. This can handle just about any Ork unit. MP are extremely good at taking out buggies/trukks while the BC can take out orks by the masses.

Stealths: At 18" or less, you can pretty much forget about the Stealth field. The main defence of the suit (and all the other suits) is the JSJ. This can come in handy espeically against charging Orks. Also, forget about the fusion blaster upgrade. You don't need it. Use the same tatics as for the other suits.

Firebase (Front: Kroot. Middle: Firewarriors. Side near the flanks: Hammerhead. Other side: Sniper drones.)

Kroot: would be the shield/assault troops for your Firebase. Don't upgrade to shaper since Ork's shootas can negate 6+ saves. The purpose for the Kroot is to shoot and take hits for you Firewarriors. If orks get within charging range, by all means charge them. That would give you a couple of turns to shoot other Orks and not worry about the charging ones.

Firewarriors: the heart and soul of your army. 3 squads will make the smile of any Ork player vanish. Try to be stationary if possible, unless they are actively trying to aviod getting into your gunsights. If they are, try the "leapfrog" tatic. This is when 1-2 squads move while another squad stays stationary to give cover fire if nesseacry. This would allow you to move, yet it doesn't take away the emense range and firepower of the pulse rifle.

Hammerheads: Railgun and BCs (Flechette is you like) Unlike the normal use of Hamerheads, you should use them aggresively. That means you want to get into range of the BCs if you can. 6 Str.5 BS 4 (5 with Markerlights) will hurt an Ork squad. Coupled with a sub round with your railgun, and it should wipe a whole squad with a single turn shooting. And if all else fails, Tank shock them! Flechette luanchers are extremely effective against 6+ armored orks. Just watch out for tankbusters.

Sniper drones: Equip them with a stealth field and they would be almost immpossible to hit (unlike regular stealthsuits). AP3 guns are not very useful against normal Orks. However, they are useful against Nobz and (non mega-amored) Warbosses. Save them for big scary things. They are also very useful in taking out buggies/trukks if they come too close to your firebase.

Hope this helps!

Old 22 May 2006, 19:54   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

with orks use burst cannons
Old 23 May 2006, 00:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by shas O jarton
with orks use burst cannons
Umm...Did you read anything I just said?
Old 23 May 2006, 01:01   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

There's allot of good information (especially Impulse's post). Thank you everyone!

LIG
Old 23 May 2006, 01:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
It's best work either hybrid or static. Mech Tau will suffer here as Orks are generally faster than our tanks (Speed freaks are even worse).

My stradegy: 1 flank, 1 deepstrike plus an effective firebase.

Flank units: (deploy in either right or left flank with most cover)

Pathfinders: Markerlights are perfect for horde type armies. Generally, most players would either run away or kill them as fast as they can. Orks' weapons are short-ranged. Thus, they would either try to get close enough to shoot you with vehicles or charge you with a large squad of Orks. Work this to your advantage. Markerlight them and use the pathfinders as a lure to get the Orks within pulse rifle range or railgun (sub) range.

Pirahanas: Forget Fusion blasters. Unless you are trying to pop a battle wagon/fortress you wouldn't need that. Run them along the side of the board, out of Ork gun's range and target fast vehicles are Storm boyz. (they move way too fast to ignore). It's very easy to pop buggies/trukks no matter what side you shoot at them. However, don't move them too far ahead that they can't be supported by your firebase.

Deepstrike (Deepstrike on opposite flank and group them close, but not close enough to be hit by lobbas and other blast weapons. USE JSJ as much as you can to aviod assaults).

Commander: Best combo: CIB, BC, TA, HW MT on a Shas'el. That can pump out 8 BS 5 shots and that would very easily put nice dents in Ork squads. This is the "anchor" for your deepstrike units.

Crisis: MP, BC, MT. This can handle just about any Ork unit. MP are extremely good at taking out buggies/trukks while the BC can take out orks by the masses.

Stealths: At 18" or less, you can pretty much forget about the Stealth field. The main defence of the suit (and all the other suits) is the JSJ. This can come in handy espeically against charging Orks. Also, forget about the fusion blaster upgrade. You don't need it. Use the same tatics as for the other suits.

Firebase (Front: Kroot. Middle: Firewarriors. Side near the flanks: Hammerhead. Other side: Sniper drones.)

Kroot: would be the shield/assault troops for your Firebase. Don't upgrade to shaper since Ork's shootas can negate 6+ saves. The purpose for the Kroot is to shoot and take hits for you Firewarriors. If orks get within charging range, by all means charge them. That would give you a couple of turns to shoot other Orks and not worry about the charging ones.

Firewarriors: the heart and soul of your army. 3 squads will make the smile of any Ork player vanish. Try to be stationary if possible, unless they are actively trying to aviod getting into your gunsights. If they are, try the "leapfrog" tatic. This is when 1-2 squads move while another squad stays stationary to give cover fire if nesseacry. This would allow you to move, yet it doesn't take away the emense range and firepower of the pulse rifle.

Hammerheads: Railgun and BCs (Flechette is you like) Unlike the normal use of Hamerheads, you should use them aggresively. That means you want to get into range of the BCs if you can. 6 Str.5 BS 4 (5 with Markerlights) will hurt an Ork squad. Coupled with a sub round with your railgun, and it should wipe a whole squad with a single turn shooting. And if all else fails, Tank shock them! Flechette luanchers are extremely effective against 6+ armored orks. Just watch out for tankbusters.

Sniper drones: Equip them with a stealth field and they would be almost immpossible to hit (unlike regular stealthsuits). AP3 guns are not very useful against normal Orks. However, they are useful against Nobz and (non mega-amored) Warbosses. Save them for big scary things. They are also very useful in taking out buggies/trukks if they come too close to your firebase.

Hope this helps!

I agree and disagree with what you are saying. Speed freaks use Trukz to get to where they are going and Tau are the best light-armor busters in 40k and as you pointed out most Ork weapons are short range and very few of their weapons can punch through AV 12 armor at a distance

With a few Missile Pods, railguns and SMS weapon systems you can pop the Orkz ridez before they get half way across the board or shoot up their bikez.

Once on foot Orkz have virtually no armor save and should fall to the mass fire power we can put out. Not too mention FoF works great against them.

Just my thoughts
Old 23 May 2006, 23:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, you have some good pionts.

However, the way I was presenting my Crisis suits, I was aiming towards flezability. True, TL missle pods would be beuatiful against trukks/buggies, however, what do you do when you blow them all up? What is left to take down Orks are 2 shots per suit. Yes, they will take down Hard boyz with ease, however, do you think that is an effecent use of pionts (or the crisis suit)? The config I suggeted allows for 5 shots. 2.5 times the amount of shots compared to TL Missile pods (Comparision based of 3 man squads, 15 shots vs. 6).
Old 24 May 2006, 00:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

This is simple....Orks are the easiest team to fight with Tau.

First...load up your FW in Devilfishes. That way...the Orks will not devouer your FW in CC unless you are careless with the FOF... or he gets lucky and destroys the DF

The Hammerheads are amazing. Railgun Subs will pop off 4-8 guys at a time with EASE! The Burst Cannons will mow them down as well.

Crisis...use Deathrain and TA. (TLMissle Pods and Targeting Array) This way you can jump shoot jump and put out some strong shots to kill buggies and trukks. Plus they can take out 4-5 Orks a turn.

Other than that...just use common sense. Keep the stealth out of trouble in CC. Dont infiltrate too close to trukks otherwise you will not be using your stealth that game.
Closed Thread