Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with army composition
Closed Thread
Old 22 May 2006, 14:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to FW-Tau
Default Help with army composition

I know you guys are probally sick to death of people asking for help but I will ask anyway. I play as Tau(Obviously) and my most common opponent is my friends Nids. I have a terrible track record aginst his Nids (I have won 2 drawed 1 lost 7) and I know I am going to face his army at one point in the Medusa V campaine. So I was wondering if you guys could give my a few hints of advice. Anything now matter how little or big would be such a great help. I have 1 Ethereal, 1 Commander, 4 Crisis Battlesuits, 6 Stealthsuits(3 old and 3 new), 36 Fire Warriors, 32 Kroot and 4 Kroot Hounds, 1 Devilfish, 1 Squad of 8 Gun Drones, 6 Pathfinders(3 with Carbines and 3 with Rail Rifles), 1 Piranha, 8 Vespid, 2 Squads of Sniper Drones, 1 Hammerhead. I do expect to get more stuff before Medusa V though. He has to choose from what I can remeber is 2 Hive Tyrants, Broodlord, 2 Tyrant Guards, 6 Warriors , 2 Lictors(One being a Deathleaper), God knows how many Hormagaunts I guess around 40, 12 Termagaunts, 3 Raveners, 2 Zoanthropes, 1 Biovore and 2 Carnifexes. AS I said any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 22 May 2006, 15:11   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Help

What did you equip your troops with? We all can see the choices you made, but we need more details to help you.

More info about your army and if possible, your friend's army. What does he have opn his tyranids and how he opt to use them. That will really help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 22 May 2006, 15:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well at the moment I can equip my troops with different wargear depending on the situation. Cause i use blutac for most of my modles (Have not decided what colour sceme to go for yet and trying to work out what cobination of wargear works best). But I usually go for Pulse Rifles on my fire warriors. Sorry that I was not a bit more specific. My friends army varies from time to time too. I think he is going to put a barbed strangler on his tyrant a Venom Cannon on his fex and spore cysts oh and I forgot he also will have a unit of Genestelaers with his Broodlord with feeding tendrils. Other than that I have not seen his new army list yet.
Old 22 May 2006, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I see......

Well for a few things...here is what I would do.
1)You are really lacking in your heavy supprot department. Take another hammerhead with a railgun and you will be in business.

2)The pathfinders have to go. They are good only in a 2K match and above(in my opinion). So take them out. And you will have a lot more points to boost your army.

3)Equip the markerlights on your fire warriors. Since markerlihghts are inportant, it is better to equipped them on the FW squads.

4)Dump the vespids. They are better off killing those armies with piower armour.

5)Take more pirahnas. 1 more pirahan won't hurt and they will be rather nice against the hive tyrants with that fusion blaster.

6)drop the gun drones. They are somewhat weak, even with the twin-linked Bs2.

7)Drop mr ethereal. e is good but he is very fragile and also when he dies, it will be a round of migraine going your way.

Well, this are my opinions. But you don't really have to follow them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 22 May 2006, 16:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

A key tactic to use is to keep all of his units out of charging range, as you know.

I second the RailHead idea because of the pie plates it can dish out. Add some burst cannons to it because of their high rate of fire.

I have never really faced 'nids on a regular basis so good luck.

Old 23 May 2006, 16:32   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanx for the advice guys it has been taken abroard. I was going to go for a unit of broadsides but I think I will go for a second RailHead now. I will post my army list up very soon (In the appropriate forum that is) to see what you think.
Old 24 May 2006, 00:23   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well I can give a few pointers as my first post at these forums.

The guy I regularly play against also happens to play Nids so I have learned a few things about them.

You will need 3 broadsides (plus a Railhead or two) to handle his monstrous creatures otherwise his hive tyrant and fexes will run rampart. So invest money on 3 broadsides even though they will cost more money and points than a railhead.

Second is that you must wield Kroot against Nids. Specially if your friend is using Lictors cause they can wreak havoc amongst your lines before the fast hormagaunts are coming in. Use equal amounts of Kroot squad you are planning to have fire base squads. It's very important to get rid of the Lictor threat as quickly as possible or otherwise you will find that you can't shoot with your big guns (as broadsides etc). You must also use cover (cause you are often hitting first in HtH) and considering they can deploy on any terrain on the map you will always be in danger. The Kroot is also very good in woods etc so I really hope you will use them. Use your hounds with them so you can field one squad of 12 Kroot and two squads of 10 Kroot and 2 hounds in each so they're all 12.

Use all 3 Fire Warrior squads to. Upgrade them with Shas'ui, h-w tl, markerlight and bonding knife.

A winged hive tyrant is often a major concern for you if he has one. So you must try to pound that mf before it gets to your lines. The Carnifexes can only move 6" a turn so if they get into close combat it will most often be around turn 5-6 (sometimes 4).

Use your Stealth Suites and make one Crisis team consisting of 3 and one monat. The monat can have some neat upgrades so you can use him as a solo crisis meant for anti gaunt. Use airbursting fragmentation projector with flamer, vectored retro thrusters and stimulant injector so he can manage on his own. He is a little pricey and you can most certainly use those points better. But considering what you have I think it might be a good bet.
The three other crisis suits could use the fire knife configuration (plasma rifle, missile pod, multi-tracker) if he often use Tyranid Warriors as the missile pods wounds them on 2+ and denies any saving throw. Then you also have the plasma rifle to give a little punch against monstrous creatures. Otherwise if you feel like you don't have enough punch to deal with the biggies you could always go fusion/plasma/multi. But then range will be an issue cause you need to get so close in.

Sometimes your Fire Warriors will not be able to fire in the first round of shooting due to good deployment placing/movement etc. So there it's often important to have at least 1 markerlight hit against a brood of hormagaunts so your hammerhead can fire at them an hit at 2+ with the submuntion round.

It's pretty basic, try to take out one hormagaunt squad at a time cause once they reach your lines you will have it much more difficult from there on. In fact you must wipe out as many as you can so none of them can reach you until turn 4. Sometimes it happens sooner, as in turn 3 but please make sure its just a small remnant of a squad that you can deal with in 3 close combat turns (2 of your opponents and one yours (remember the kroot I was talking about)).

There is probably more but that's a few pointers from me.

Old 24 May 2006, 02:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

No offense, but bad advice pzikoo. Do NOT use broadsides, nids will just swarm them turn 3 at the latest, probably turn 2, and then they're dead. Kroot too, I dunno why you'd use them. They will get butchered by nids very quickly, you don't want to try to go toe to toe with the most efficient h2h army in 40k with mediocre assault troops.

Use 3 hammerheads w/ Rail guns & burst cannons, backed up by FoF fire warriors. Mech tau is so incredibly good versus tyranids, it makes much of their army useless since it is near invulnerable to close combat, and nids usually don't have too good of anti-tank fire guns (those they do have usually fire at low BS, such as fexes with venom cannons).
Old 24 May 2006, 03:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

It might be nice to kill the synapse, but they're pretty tough and there are usually more important things to kill - plus most things that use synapse to stay in line can be ignored by a Mech Tau army anyway.

Large creatures can be ignored if slow. This means carnifexes and unwinged tyrants, unless they are threatening you with masses of venom cannons - it is a pain to get through all those wounds, and Tau are generally not equipped for it. The worst is a carnifex with double venom cannons and enhanced senses. You'll probably have to spend a few turns railgunning this fellow into tiny bits.

Little creatures can be ignored, as long as you don't present rear vehicle armor to them. Find a board edge to hug.

Big fast things like winged fexes should die. Zoanthropes should die - their attacks are harmful to tanks and suits, and they are much softer than their monstrous buddies.

Watch out for the damn raveners and lictors. They'll bite your backside if you forget about them. Literally!

#1 weapon against nids? Submunition. Eats rippers, warriors, genestealers. Missile pods also do this, especially against opponents that have learned to spread out.

Basically, don't have any infantry on the ground. If you have some in your army that can't hide, like kroot, he will want badly to engage them. He will almost certainly attack them. That is a powerful lure. Use that to split up his army.

Kill the fast things and the threats and you can kill the slower big creatures at your leisure.
Old 24 May 2006, 03:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Didn't we just discuss Tau vs Nids in another thread on this page?
Closed Thread