Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlights and suits, essential?
Closed Thread
Old 21 May 2006, 23:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Markerlights and suits, essential?

Ok, so we know some of the more original tau technology is marklights and battle suits. They make us stand out as a race, but do we need them to be a very effective force? This is half question half open discussion, I'm not sure myself. Currently I run an all meq army, no pathfinders or meqs, am I missing out or are suits and marklights more of options than essentials?
Old 21 May 2006, 23:28   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Marklights and suits, essential?

well in my honest opinion they are a rather nice little nugget to put in the army if you need help MEQ busting or for a cheap tank hunter but not really required. now while the Markerlights are rather important to a static army they arent all that much great in a mech army. so all in all they arent the required units but they can be rather close to it

Old 21 May 2006, 23:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Simple answer, no they arent essential. While we must have at least 1 battlesuite our commanders are a bit more versatile than the rest and you certainly dont need battlesuits or markerlights. For some armies they can be very important. Markerlights are almost essential to static armies to really make their firepower effective and protect their firebase. They are great units but like many things in all armies they arent a necessity by any means.

Old 21 May 2006, 23:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah...ok. I am debating whether to run 3 crisis suits (either fireknive or helios) in my list or 3 piranhas w/ FB's. I'm glad marklights aren't essential though, I can't figure out how to get the points in my list for a pathfinder squad.
Old 22 May 2006, 00:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Markerlights are nonessential, though fluffy as hell and terrifying if used well.

Suits are necessary. We don't have anything else to put in our elite slots! Eventually you'll have to take some suits. However, in lower points games, you can go without them. Except for the commander of course.
Old 22 May 2006, 00:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would say suits are essential in that you must have at least one. after the commander though... its all smooth. do note however that with no suits you will not be taking any elites (I'm assuming of course that the stealth "suit" counts towards the suit total)

and you can build a non markerlight list, but you should take into consideration that both are very much part of what makes the tau as a race. and that by doing this limitation you are reducing the number of options available to you.
Old 22 May 2006, 01:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well, i guess if you don't play against MEQ's that suits aren't essential, but against them you don't really have any other AP3's other than the ion cannon or some seekers, which need markerlights. And against MEQ's AP3 is always welcome

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Old 22 May 2006, 02:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I find markerlights overrated and unreliable.
Old 22 May 2006, 02:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well...what do you think would be better for a typical 3xFoF squad 3xhammerhead mech list, 3 crisis suits or 3 piranhas w/ FB's?
Old 22 May 2006, 03:12   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

i would suggest the pihranas simply because they are far faster than the crisis suits.

Closed Thread