Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Curse those Sisters! Help needed!
Closed Thread
Old 21 May 2006, 04:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog
Default Curse those Sisters! Help needed!

I really need help. How do I kill a 1000 point army of about 45 Sisters of battle, some of those creepy close combat things, a huge walker (the one with the 2 flamers) and an orbital strike on a cityfight board? Any suggestions on what to take and how I might combat them are appreciated.
Old 21 May 2006, 04:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Curse those Sisters! Help needed!

Couple of things...

1. Sisters of battle often rely on massed bolter fire, tau rely on mass pulse rifle fire.

1 Pulse rifle shot
.5 hit
.41 wounds
.13 kills

1 Bolter Shot
.66 hits (sisters are BS4 I believe)
.44 wounds
.22 kills

So its probably a bad idea to engage in close range firefights with them. Focus your fire warriors on the heavy stuff.

2. You have tons of weaponry that doesnt need LOS. Seeker missiles, SMS, JSJ crisis suits. City fight is MADE for tau practically. Warfishes and hammerheads w/ SMS will work well for you. For taking out the infantry, plasma rifles should do very well, as should an Ion Cannon.

3. Create fire lanes. Sisters rely on getting up close, we rely on staying at a distance. Use the city terrain to force the sisters to funnel their troops into a kill zone to get to yours, ie

B=Building S=sister of battle T=Tau

B s s B
B s s B
B B
T T T T

That way you can bring mazimum firepower to bear while they are forced to move towards you, often having to squeeze through narrow spaces or trek through difficult terrain at reduced speeds.
Old 21 May 2006, 04:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well to help you defeat sisters we have to know a bit more about what you are facing as tactics vary.

1) Is it a mechanized force or are they all on foot without jump packs?

2) What is a creepy close combat thing?

3) The walker is a pentient engine and requires a priest to be in the army

4) The Orbital Strike requires an Inquisitor to be present in the army

5) Are you playing Mech Tau, Static or Hybrid? Whats in your list?

So the first thing you should do is make sure your friend has both a Priest and an Inquisitor in his army list.

When you can give more information then we can help you more
Old 21 May 2006, 05:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sorry, I don't know much about Sisters and this was my first time playing them. They're all on foot without jump packs. The creepy close combat things... I have no idea what it is. I think it was called a Flatullent or something like that. I have no idea whether he had a Preist or an Inquisitor and I was playing hybrid, mostly mech. I had a big squad of kroot, 2 full mounted FW squads, 2 fireknife crisis suits, a squad of gun drones and a broadside. I know it was a pretty bad list, as I had no idea I was facing Sisters.
The kroot got tied down in CC on turn 1 by the pentient engine thingy and they couldn't even hurt it because it has front armour 11. All of his 40 Sisters charged forward into cover then into combat on turn 2 and all my pulse fire did pretty much nothing.
And that's about all I can remember.
Old 21 May 2006, 05:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, static tau usually loses very quickly if it cant massacre the enemy with shooting in the first 1-2 turns.

The close combat things are flagellants, very scary but also very expensive with a chance of killing themselves. While they ARE scary, they are somewhat overkill on tau who die against any h2h unit.

I reccomend mech tau for city fight, the ability to move around quickly, have tons of SMS systems and immunity to h2h until you disembark your FW's makes mech tau extremely deadly, especially so against a infantry heavy list in city fight.
Old 21 May 2006, 05:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by a lone frog
Sorry, I don't know much about Sisters and this was my first time playing them. They're all on foot without jump packs. The creepy close combat things... I have no idea what it is. I think it was called a Flatullent or something like that. I have no idea whether he had a Preist or an Inquisitor and I was playing hybrid, mostly mech. I had a big squad of kroot, 2 full mounted FW squads, 2 fireknife crisis suits, a squad of gun drones and a broadside. I know it was a pretty bad list, as I had no idea I was facing Sisters.
The kroot got tied down in CC on turn 1 by the pentient engine thingy and they couldn't even hurt it because it has front armour 11. All of his 40 Sisters charged forward into cover then into combat on turn 2 and all my pulse fire did pretty much nothing.
And that's about all I can remember.
Well lets examine where the Sisters Strength lies.

Sisters of Battle cost 1 more point then your fire warrior but they get +1 BS, +1 I and a better armor save. They live by the holy trinity (flamer, meltagun, bolter) and can do a lot of amazing things with their acts of faith

The Creepy Close Combat things are arco-flagellants and I told you that the big thing was a Penitent Engine. Both of these items and the Orbital Strike require your opponent to have to take a Priest and an Inquisitor to use these items. They are also very expensive and rather easy to avoid or kill.

I am curious to know what size board you were playing on as I can't seem to figure out how they got into close combat by turn 2 as they only move 6" a turn and on a standard 48" board even with a maximum 12" deployment you should have at least 24" between you which would take 3 turns to reach you in CC if you didn't move at all and were also deployed forward the maximum 12"

Arco-flagellants are an elite and highly effective CC unit. They move 6" a turn unless they are "turned on" when turned on they move an extra d6" a turn however if your opponent rolls a 6 for this extra movement one model dies. In close combat they get 1+ d6 attacks, however once again if a 6 is rolled one model dies. These units are very vulnerable to your shooting and cost a lot of points.

Penitent Engine is basically a poor mans dreadnaought. It has only short range weapons and worse armor. It move 6" +d6" in the movement phase and can cause lots of damage if they reach close combat. However they are also very vulnerable to shooting due to their low armor value.

Orbital Strike is a devastating weapon if you are static but since you are mostly mobile it shouldn't be a problem to counter. Orbital strikes work as reserves, you have to roll at the beginning of the turn to see if it is available however once available it comes down every turn in the shooting phase. The rule for orbital strike states that before deployment commences but after tables sides are chosen your opponent must pick a piece of terrain as the target point for the orbital strike, whether it be a ruin, forest, rock, hill etc.. He can hold off on calling it in but once the strike comes down it continues to come down every turn

What to do?

Looking at your army list you should be able to run circles around this guy as he has no long range anti-tank weapons. I would either deploy your FW in a manner that counters your opponents deployment and makes use of your 30" range. Keep your devilfish nearby for when the sisters get close you can mount up and redeploy yourself.

Since your opponents army basically moves 6" a turn other then the Penitent Engine his range will only be 12" for shooting. You should have at least 2-3 turns of shooting before having to worry about being assaulted by the core troops. The Penitent Engine is a open topped vehicle which means you add a +1 to the damage chart for determining effects and even your basic gun can glance it. The Arco-Flagellants are equally vulnerable to your weapons and 12 FW shooting at 30" should be able to drop at least 2 Arcos a turn. The fire knifes missile pods and plasma can deal out a lot of damage too to the Arcos and the Penitent Engine way before they can be attacked back.

To avoid the Orbital Strike try not to deploy in cover, since he has to bring the strike down in the same piece of terrain every turn once available you should be able to keep far enough way that you won't be hit by it.

I would not infiltrate the Kroot and instead keep them back to act as another FW squad. Because you outrange your opponent with guns and maneuverability he has to come to you which means you can pick and choose where you want to engage him

Because he lacks long range anti-tank you should never find yourself within 12" of him and if you do you can alway Fish of Fury him by parking your Devil Fish directly in front of your FW so you can shoot under but not be assaulted.

From the limited details you provided of the battle I have a feeling your opponent was doing something illegal or you made a fatal mistake by advancing on your opponent. Use your 30" range to your advantage and let them come to you. By moving closer you are just handicapping yourself and giving your opponent the advantage.

Also make sure your opponent has the Priest and Inquisitor in the army list. I still don't know how you were charged on the 2nd turn since his core troops move only 6" a turn and the only thing that moves more then that is the Engine and the Arcos but if he activates them early in the game he will outpace his support troops and you can just focus on those big expensive models, killing them off while his core troops are still 18+" away.

Old 21 May 2006, 05:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actually, he nominates a peice of terrain for the orbital strike before deployment, so its REALLY not a threat; usually its used more in a tactical sense to keep the enemy from going somewhere than actually causing damage.

Other than that good analysis.
Old 21 May 2006, 06:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggoth
Actually, he nominates a peice of terrain for the orbital strike before deployment, so its REALLY not a threat; usually its used more in a tactical sense to keep the enemy from going somewhere than actually causing damage.

Other than that good analysis.
Oops, missed that point. Thanks for clarifying it and I fixed it in the post
Old 21 May 2006, 06:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I believe the general consensus(Sp?) here is that he either cheated or you did some thing drastically wrong. I think something fun to do with your DF's because like you said you are mainly mechanised is place the DF's in the gaps between buildings like so...

B= building D= DF F= FW

BBBDDBBBDDBBB
FFFF FFFF

This should deny assult very well by forcing him to move though cover.

Freezing
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 21 May 2006, 10:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for all the help guys.

And sorry, I forgot to mention it was only about a 36" by 36" board. And just to clarify it was only the pentient engine that got into CC the first turn. There were only four ruins from the imperial city set on the board. It was set up like this:

B=building

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BBBBBBB
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BBBBBBB

* * * * * * * * * * BBBBBBBBBBB
* * * * * * * * * * BBBBBBBBBBB* * * * * *

* * * BBBBB* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BBB
* * * BBBBB
* * * BB
* * * BB

My kroot were in the lower left-hand corner when they were asaulted by the pentient engine and I did not know that it was open-topped and they could hurt it. My opponent chose where the orbital strike would hit during the third turn movement phase and did not put it over terrain.
On the second turn 2 squads of sisters charged straight through the middle building. I had no idea this was even possible. This lead to my crisis suit being assaulted by the flaggulents. Oh and by the way, what are their armour saves?
My strategy was basically to stay mobile, JSJing with my fireknifes and gun drones and maybe doing the FoF with my FWs, while keeping my kroot and broadside back and shooting.
It was mainly the running over buildings, the not-knowing-it-was-open-topped-and-that-my-kroot-could-hurt-it and the illegal orbital strike that ruined my plan.

Well thanks again for the advice, those Sisters shall now bow to the Greater Good!
Closed Thread