Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can an army win without heavy support?
Closed Thread
Old 21 May 2006, 01:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Can an army win without heavy support?

Currently I have a small army:

1 Crisis suit
12 Firewarriors
4 Sheath suits
1 Piranha
6 gun drones

I want to spend under $150 Cdn dollars with the tax.

With the increase in price coming the battleforce is a very attractive to buy.

The downside with the battleforce is the lack of heavy support units.

I'm somewhat split whether or not to forgo the battleforce and end up getting one Hammerhead and another 12 firewarriors.

How important is it get an heavy support unit to win?
Old 21 May 2006, 01:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Can an army win without heavy support?

Bad news: You will not be able to make a good 20k army for under 400 USD. There are some sites that sell cheaper GW products, but it's still going to hurt.

Good news: You don't need to get it all at once. If you can restrain yourself, it's much easier to collect those 20 thousand points over a few years. My deadline to finish my tau is 2013. I can make 15 USD/hour walking my dogs [size=1pt]if you think this is to much, you haven't met my dogs[/size], so I only need to spend about 1/3 of my income (5 USD/month for the math impared).
Old 21 May 2006, 01:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well it certainly helps but it all depends on what you do. Helios and Deathrain suits can help deal with heavy armor up close and medium armor from long range and fusion armed stealths and piranhas can also deal with armor but... broadsides, Hammerheads and Sniper Teams are really quite an asset. If you can I would suggest a Battleforce and either a Broadside or a Hammerhead if you can do it. But I dont think you will be able to keep that budget easily if at all. Just be patient though and you will get there. My 2000pt force has been under construction for almost 2 years now and its still going heading to 2500. You'll get there.

Old 21 May 2006, 01:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I wont beat around the bush. If you have any interest in winning games against opponents without gimped armies, you absolutely need all your heavy support slots.
Old 21 May 2006, 02:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggoth
I wont beat around the bush. If you have any interest in winning games against opponents without gimped armies, you absolutely need all your heavy support slots.
I wouldnt say that. At 1000 pts and under 2 or even 1 heavy works just fine and it also depends on the list. Now under the new dex we can bury a lot of anti tank power in the army all over with Fusions in stealths and on piranhas, crisis suits, EMP grenades etc. Its quite workable to make a list without much if any heavy support that can win. Its just not exactly easy.

Old 21 May 2006, 02:29   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well it took me half a year to make my 565 points army with my own budget I have

12 FW
9 *FW
2 CS
1 DV
1 sniper drone squad
and a ethereal

and soon im going to ask for parental cash support to aquire a hammerhead(yes im a teen) personally I take 10 to 30 minutes painting 1 FW model (I try to put as much detail as I can without taking a hour on one model). the advice I can try and give you is make sure that your current troops are fully done then save up and plan for your next investment
Old 21 May 2006, 03:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Titan, don't buy retail, ever. I too spent most of the years Ive played this game strapped for cash. Yet I've been able to make over 3 2k armies on just a basic allowance. How you ask?

1. Networking. At your local hobby shop there will always be someone getting out of the game who needs money, or a friend who doesnt play a particular army anymore and would be willing to help you out. I got 5 crisis suits and 2 devilfish for 50$ off a kid I'd known for only a month through warhammer, he didn't use it and he needed to buy a squad of terminators for his marine army with money he didnt have. Deals like that will always come up if you can be patient or just have mediocre social skills. Most of the people who play this game know exactly what your going through, and will be more than happy to help out. I've given away some good deals of my own, I'd much rather get 50 bucks for some models from a kid without alot of money than 100 dollars from someone whos just too cheap to buy retail.

2. Ebay. Cant stress this enough, ebay is a lifesaver. You can get armies upwards of 50-60% off retail value through ebay, many of them in good condition and quality, sometimes not even painted.

I view buying warhammer models through GW as a last resort or a luxury when I have enough cash, that outlook has saved me tons of money and it could work for you.

Anyways, back on topic, as for heavy support in less thank 1k you can do without it, once you get into 1k+ though you will definitly need 2-3 heavy support. I dont go to battle without 3 hammerheads personally. While its true that with the new codex we have more options that can fufill the roll of heavy support (rail rifles/vespids for low ap, battle suits/piranhas with fusions etc), we are still a very dependant army on our heavy slots because we have a complete inability to take anything but basic rifles on our core troops.
Old 21 May 2006, 03:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What do you guys suggest I should get next?

Quote:
Titan, don't buy retail, ever. I too spent most of the years Ive played this game strapped for cash. Yet I've been able to make over 3 2k armies on just a basic allowance. How you ask?
Easier said than done. I don't know any of my friends that play Warhammer.

Most of the indepedent hobby stores don't sell Warhammer.

There's only two GW stores that I know exist and getting to those stores take about a half hour.

Old 21 May 2006, 03:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you dont have any friends theres still ebay, I suggest just going on there every couple days and looking at the armies up for sale of your chosen race.
Old 21 May 2006, 04:01   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Actually, if you don' have a local gaming store that you play at, I would recommend The WarStore over Ebay. I've seen some pretty hefty shipping costs on Ebay that will wash away any savings you'll realize on Ebay.

Thanks

LIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin
What do you guys suggest I should get next?

Quote:
Easier said than done. I don't know any of my friends that play Warhammer.

Most of the indepedent hobby stores don't sell Warhammer.

There's only two GW stores that I know exist and getting to those stores take about a half hour.