Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Pulse... Pistol
Closed Thread
Old 20 May 2006, 01:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default The Pulse... Pistol

Yes that quirky little thing glimpsed on a Forge World model or two actually made it into the new dex. However I havent even seen it given a passing mention by anyone. I personally find this thing rather cool. It is the first, yes FIRST pistol weapon the Tau have and is carried by only 2 models. The sniper drone spotter and a battlesuite pilot who has ejected is armed with one. Now obviously it isnt a mainstream weapon for combat use but an emergency backup for those who cannot be given anything else. I however find it a rather cool thing.

Its not in the armory but I wonder what a kill team member or two armed with a pistol or two would be like.

What do you all think of this odd and barely seen little piece of equipment? A nice little extra addition, totally useless, fluffy but non practical, what do you think?

Old 20 May 2006, 02:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The Pulse... Pistol

It is too bad you can't have a Shas'ui with a pair of pistols. It would look pretty cool, and (I think) would generate 4 shots. And a Shaper with a Pulse Pistol and CC Weapon would be really cool, and would actually make use of the Pistol rules. Hell if a 6 point Guardsman Sergeant can have a pistol and CC Weapon, why not an elite Kroot leader?

Besides those options I dream of, I find it a bit dumb for the Sniper. Pathfinders have Carbines as sidearms instead of pistols, and they are scouts, so that doesn't make much sense.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 20 May 2006, 03:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I didnt think of a shaper taking it, that would be a good idea. The pistol is a cool thing I wish it were available for more uses.

Old 20 May 2006, 03:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Besides those options I dream of, I find it a bit dumb for the Sniper. Pathfinders have Carbines as sidearms instead of pistols, and they are scouts, so that doesn't make much sense.
Pathfinders don't have to carry a sensor hood with built-in targetting systems and stealth field too...
Old 20 May 2006, 04:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pulse pistols would be with great for units. In real armies don't they have pistols as side arms, so wouldn't Tau firewarriors carry them. It would be great for fluffy armies. Adding holsters to the firewarriors and other ground troops would make for great fluff armies.

Old 20 May 2006, 04:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

You know I was just thinking about the clone commandos and arc troopers from Star Wars. Those Veteran Firewarriors that make up an Etherials honor guard, well they have to come from somewhere and I dont think they would always accompany an Etherial. It would be foolish to keep such veterans from the field and I doubt Etherials actually going into battle is a common thing. So what do they do? So... I thought of this:

Veteran Firewarrior Team
Exactly the same as an Etherials honor guard points and stats wise except. The Shas'ui has access to take a pair of pulse pistols. Im not sure how pairs of pistols work but I dunno are they twin linked? In any case 2 members in the squad can upgrade their pulse rifles for a burst cannon at +(10-12pts, the battlesuite version is only 8 after all) and 2 other members may upgrade their pulse rifles for rail rifles with target locks. Any number of the squad may swap their rifles for carbines and they can of course take EMP and Photon Grenades and a Devilfish transport.

I think such a unit would be cool for a kill team and would add some color to the battlefield that is taken up by clean lined tanks, suits and almost identical infantry. Im sure after a decade or more in combat any Firewarrior that survives and doesnt progress in rank will at least get good at his niche and have developed some... quirks. I mean the Etherials bodyguard have to come from somewhere and the Tau have shown a general acceptance for the odities in their people given that they are controlled. Look at the Stealth suits for instance.

Old 20 May 2006, 04:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

It would be extremely nice for our troops to be able to take heavy weapons. As it is we are literally the only shooty force with no access to heavy weaponry in our troop selection. Heck, were the only army without access to decent anti-tank weaponry in any slot besides heavy..
Old 20 May 2006, 05:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

True, thats always been the case. Veteran Fire Warriors shouldnt be an attempt to give heavy weapons but more to show a group of hardened soldiers who for some reason or another are not suited to advance in rank but due to their extended tours of combat they have grown attatched to certain weapons. Perhaps some were assigned as Stealth Suits for a while or Pathfinders and developed an almost unhealthy kinship with their weapons and perhaps the Shas'ui favors close in firefights with pistols or close ranged weaponry (obviously not swords but close anyway) etc. You get the idea. Something fluffy that skirts the edge of the Tau society and adds some flavor and uniqueness to the infantry.

I can also deffinetly see some house rules to equip other units with the pulse pistol. Wouldnt it be cool that if a tank or piranha suffered a vehicle destroyed result, not destroyed or annihilated on a roll of 4+ the tank crewman escapes the wreckage. Armed just like the battlesuite pilot though perhaps with a 4+ save being he is still wearing some armor. That could be one. Perhaps arm rail rifle pathfinders with a pulse pistol for an additional 3 pts or so being that once they start moving they would probably shoulder their rifles and pull out a sidearm to defend themselves as they legged it away from whatever threat caused them to move. Hmm...

Old 20 May 2006, 05:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Yup, the Pulse Pistol is probably one of the cooler things around these days!

Now, the proposals:

All Firewarrior's would carry them, they should all have them!
Perhaps you'd like every Marine to be equipped with their standard Laspistol and Combat Knife in addition to Boltguns?

Honour Guard
A bit more plausible, but still...not too effective really when you want to be keeping the Ethereal *away* from the enemy!

Spec Ops
I really like the idea. In fact, a few 'SO' Tau running about with Pulse Pistols, EMP Grenades and a set of various pieces of scanning devices and positional relays would be rather literally 'damn cool'. However, 'tis not to be. In Kill Team, it's possible to include the Drone Operator, but it's a bit expensive for what he does...

Cool, but alas the best place to look at using it is Inquisitor where the last remaining Firewarrior throws his Pulse Pistol to the nearby Fio'la janitor and says "For the Greater Good" before charging off against that Inquisitor with Daemonsword. So, in the end, said Janitor is left alone in amidst the terrors of the 40k Universe with only his mop, drone-bucket and Pulse Pistol to see him through!

Xisor
Old 20 May 2006, 06:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xisor
So, in the end, said Janitor is left alone in amidst the terrors of the 40k Universe with only his mop, drone-bucket and Pulse Pistol to see him through!

Xisor
I smell a publishing deal in the making..
Closed Thread