Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions after my first 3 games.....
Closed Thread
Old 19 May 2006, 23:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Questions after my first 3 games.....

Ok, I have a few nOOb questions that i can't seem to clarify from the rulebook or codex:

1) some of my weapons have assault and a number as their type, what does the number mean? There is only a limited description of assault weapons in the rulebook.

2) why does my commander Shadowsun have 2 shield drones when her xv22 suit has an intergrated one...do they stack?

3) What is the importance of shield drones, do they give their 4+ invul save to the units in their squad?(can't find this explained anywhere in codex or rulesbook)

Thanks alot for helping a new player get used to the intricacies of 40k!!
Old 19 May 2006, 23:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Questions after my first 3 games.....

Quote:
1) some of my weapons have assault and a number as their type, what does the number mean? There is only a limited description of assault weapons in the rulebook.
An assault weapon allows a model to move and shoot in the same turn.

Quote:
2) why does my commander Shadowsun have 2 shield drones when her xv22 suit has an intergrated one...do they stack?
Shield drones can be destroyed, therefore she has two, and once, (if), they die, she has her own back-up generator that will not turn off until she dies.

Quote:
3) What is the importance of shield drones, do they give their 4+ invul save to the units in their squad?(can't find this explained anywhere in codex or rulesbook)
They give an invulnerable save to the person they are assigned to.

Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 19 May 2006, 23:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
The number denotes the number of shots the weapon may fire each turn, just like Heavy weapons.

Quote:
Quote:
They give a 4+ invulnerable save to the person they are assigned to.
Shield Drones, not Genorators - you simply assign hits to the Drones, and they have an Invulnerable Save... simple.
Old 19 May 2006, 23:44   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Welcome!

1. A weapon listed as Assault X (X can be any number) is able to fire X number of shots during the shooting phase. Assault weapons may do this regardless of weather the model moves, and allow the model to assault after shooting.

For example: My Pathfinder with a Pulse Carbine (and Assault 1 weapon) can move up to 6" in the movement phase, shoot his weapon in the shooting phase and then assault his enemy in the assault phase.

2. Shadowsun had two shield drones, and her battlesuit has an integrated shield generator. The drones are separate models (frisbees) that fly around her and soak up incoming fire. The generator is a piece of equipment that creates a shield around Shadowsun herself.

Shadowsun and her drones form a unit, meaning that they move and fight together. When incoming fire hits the unit, you get to choose who takes each hit. This means that you can decide that the really dangerous stuff (Lascannons, Meltaguns, etc.) hit the drones. Your rulebook will walk you through this process a bit better than I can. Shadowsun's shield generator gives her an invulnerable save (also in your rulebook).

3. Shield drones give their invulnerable saves to themselves. Their value is in the fact that you can choose to have them take the really deadly shots, and the invulnerable save gives them a pretty good chance of coming through it OK (increases their durability).

Hope this helps.
Old 20 May 2006, 00:04   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Once again Tau Online comes through for me!!
This is a great community, i have gotten much advice from here, thanks a billion.

sidenote:
Maybe i am just overlooking this stuff in the rulesbook, i will go back and check again.
Old 20 May 2006, 00:18   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Don't worry about that, the rules are tough to assimilate all at once. Ask questions all ya want, and just ignore the "It's in your rulebook, page 947 subsection 3 paragraph 44, as clear as day, jeez!" stuff.

Of course it's good to read it as much as you can before your eyes start bleeding. That's how I learned
Old 20 May 2006, 01:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to comanchieflier

Its good to break up days for everthing. Day 1, learn movement. Day 2, Learn Shooting. Day 3, learn Assualt. Day 4, Learn Tanks and special rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezing
comanchieflier recieves a mobile phone that can only do "leet speak" messages.
Old 20 May 2006, 01:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Another good way is experience. You should start out by playing some small games with just assault troops in them. Then when you think you know all the assault rules, play a game that involves assault troops and shooty troops. When you think you have shooting down, add tanks, and so on. Playing the game while learning the rules is alot like studying, it forces you to look up the rules and apply them, thus helping you memorize them. In truth they aren't nearly as complex as they appear.
Old 20 May 2006, 06:11   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

interesting, i will have to try out matches like that.

Thanks for all the info.