Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire Warriors with Pulse Carbines
Closed Thread
Old 19 May 2006, 23:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Fire Warriors with Pulse Carbines

I was thinking of equipping my FW with pulse carbines instead of pulse rifles. The 18" A 1 gun with pinning seems for flexible for FoF, or moving and shooting then the pulse rifle. Anyone else try this before? Whats your experience?

I also think it fits in more with the Mech Tau fluff that they would carry the carbine over the rifle. Even todays mechanized troops carry the carbine version of the assault rifle in most combat environments.

Also how many carbines come in the FW box set? Do I have to buy bitz?
Old 19 May 2006, 23:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Re: Fire Warriors with Pulse Carbines

Good for footsloggers, not so much for FoF (if you want to pin, get those gun drones to do it!). 24 shots or 12? Hmmm... :P

In a static/hybrid army, I'd definetely have a squad of FWs with carbines. However, in pure mech, I'm a little down on their true use.

Also, how do you figure that? From what I know, it's more like the pulse rifle (many bursts or more innacurate full-auto, but semi-accurate when braced).

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
Old 19 May 2006, 23:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

For a footslogger squad it might be an interesting way to go. However for a mech team I would never do it. You effectively just lost half your shots and even with that extra range... not worth it IMO. A good attack with a mounted squad will annihilate the target so even at close range you dont have a problem. I find that 24 shots is far better than 12 for a mechanized squad.

Also 6 carbines come in the FW box if I remember correctly.

Old 19 May 2006, 23:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I am thinking about using them in my lists now. But I think that a full FW team with carbines and then two gun drones is a good idea. 14 models all with saves if 4+ and T3.

Old 19 May 2006, 23:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguy832
Good for footsloggers, not so much for FoF (if you want to pin, get those gun drones to do it!). 24 shots or 12? Hmmm... :P

In a static/hybrid army, I'd definetely have a squad of FWs with carbines. However, in pure mech, I'm a little down on their true use.

Also, how do you figure that? From what I know, it's more like the pulse rifle (many bursts or more innacurate full-auto, but semi-accurate when braced).
Well how I see it, you don't need to get within 12" to shoot if you are carrying Carbines, plus if the enemy blows up the DF you can still move 6" and shoot 18" rather then 12". Sure you only get 1 shot but effectively you can avoid combat for the whole game as you can keep a 6" buffer zone plus you get the added bonuse of pinning your opponent and forcing them to do nothing next turn, no moving, shooting or assaulting possibly nullifying a 150+ point squad which is more effective then killing 2 or 3 models and letting the other 7-8 shoot you back or charge you.

Modern military issue Assault Rifles to std foot sloggers, most mechanized soldiers, armoured crews etc carry the carbine version of the assault rifle. It is smaller and easier to bring to bear then an assault rifle and takes up less space in the vehicle as well as better used in close shooting (ranges up to 50m)
Old 20 May 2006, 00:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Pinning isnt that great with the number of high leadership and fearless enemies. Plus that extra 6" just really does not make up for losing fully half your shots. 12 shots really dont do a whole lot, 24, now that does some more damage and when combined with support can take out the target so you dont have to avoid them. You do eventually run out of board space.

The carbine was a great idea but its a leftover scrap from 3rd edition where it was a better assault weapon than the rifle but now that rapid fire weapons still get both shots when moving the increased rate of fire is just too good to ignore.

Old 20 May 2006, 00:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have noticed that footslogging Carbine Warriors would make good backpeddlers. Move them up into 18'' range and then, once the enemy gets closer, you move back while shooting them.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 20 May 2006, 00:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

They could also work well for taking objectives and grabbing table quarters. You can get them mobile enough to reach their target without a fish and without the limiting 12" range. But I wouldnt count on them for straight up combat as I doubt they would win a firefight even if they did manage to pin the target for a turn against most opponents I wouldnt be it. But for as little as 60 points it could be a useful tactic.

Old 20 May 2006, 01:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Devin

Small Carbine equipped squads are great for mobile objective/quarter grabbers.

The fall-back manuever mentioned earlier really does work so long as you know your opponent can only move so far.

Also, in City Fight they will be more useful as well, since you want to be constantly moving. Granted, with the new Rapid Fire rules allowing 2 hots within 12" moving or not, this is slightly less valuable, but do you really want to be within 12" in City Fight?
Old 20 May 2006, 01:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Depends on the opponent for the back peddling to work. Chaos and eldar and nidz all come quickly to mind for having extra fleet moves. Psuedo-fallling back the whole game also makes it much worse when you have to do the real thing as you are alreayd closer to your board egde. Not to mention that backtracking puts you farther from the objectives.

I'd rather move forwards with 12" shots, when guided by markerlights they utterly obliterate units. ;D (Last game I killed 11 SoBs with 24 shots.)

-"We hit that bullseye and the rest of the dominoes will fall down like a house of cards. Checkmate."

- "He who laughs last....didn't get it."
Closed Thread