Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Priority Tests
Closed Thread
Old 19 May 2006, 19:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Priority Tests

This was in another thread but not specific for priority tests, more of just came up so I thought I would start it here.

The question is; Can you shoot at the closest non-large target instead of a closer large target without making a priority test?

My book says: When choosing to shoot at a large target you can ignore non large target units however you must make a leadership test to shoot anything else but the closest large target

Large target meaning; Vehicles (lvl3), TMC;s and anything else classified as a large target

It doesn't say I have to test a leadership check to shoot a squad of marines 2" behind the large target if they are the closest non-large target unit.

It has been suggested that if someone parks a leman russ close to a squad of marines with bolters, they must shoot the leman russ even if there is a guard squad 1" further back then the Russ unless they take a LD check.

I don't find this supported in the rules...to me the rules seem to state there are large targets and non-large targets and you have to take a priority test to shoot anything but the closest model of each group. If you want to shoot infantry, you can shoot infantry even if a tank is closer

Reason i am asking is because of the FoF tactic. Does my opponent with bolters need to pass a test to shoot the FW if the DF is in front of them? I don't think they do as they both units are different classifications 1 is classified as a large target, the other man size.
Old 19 May 2006, 19:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Shadowsword
Default Re: Priority Tests

hanI,m not sure because if the weapons your using are not strong enough then there is no point in shooting the large targets.
I think that, no you don't have to

Khanaris may know, or wargamer

Triple Threat x

Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them They die

I am the sig virus, add me to your sig so I can spread.
Old 19 May 2006, 19:08   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Without a priority test, you may fire at the closest target or the closest large target. You may not ignore a large target to fire a further small target without taking a priority test, even if the unit in question has no hope of hurting the larger target. You can chalk this down to a unit panicing and firing at an oncoming tank, or else being distracted by it. Since target priority is based on Leadership, better-trained troops are less likely to waste their firepower in this way.
Old 19 May 2006, 19:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Shadowsword

Told you he'll know! ;D

Triple Threat x

Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them They die

I am the sig virus, add me to your sig so I can spread.
Old 19 May 2006, 19:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Without a priority test, you may fire at the closest target or the closest large target. You may not ignore a large target to fire a further small target without taking a priority test, even if the unit in question has no hope of hurting the larger target. You can chalk this down to a unit panicing and firing at an oncoming tank, or else being distracted by it. Since target priority is based on Leadership, better-trained troops are less likely to waste their firepower in this way.
Do you have a reference for that cause in my book it gives an illustration of marines having a choice to shoot chaos marines, a predator, a demon prince and some other thing and it says they may shoot the marines or the predator without a LD test but if they want to shoot the Daemon prince they have to make a check

Old 19 May 2006, 19:24   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think the Chaos Space Marines are actually the closest unit in that figure, but I will check when I get home. The way I understood it, if the Predator or Daemon Prince was the closest, the Marines would need a priority check to shoot at anything else, including the infantry. This rule can be a real pain sometimes, but it does force you to invest in things like Shas'ui or the Command and Control Node.
Old 19 May 2006, 19:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

Here is a question I have...

FOF, If my Firewarriors are chilling behind a DF, does the enemy have to take a priority test. Basically what Im asking is:

A tank is 11" away...troops are 18". Do I have to take a priority test to shoot at the troops? I dont know if tanks count or not.

And kind of related...when I have to charge the closest unit...do tanks count. So like a tank is 2" away....troops are 5" away... do I have to charge the tank...or can I charge the guys.
Old 19 May 2006, 19:52   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

In that case, you would have to pass a priority test to fire at the troops behind the tank. If you are forced by some special rule to charge the closest unit, you can not distinguish between large targets and regular targets. You would also have to charge the tank.
Old 19 May 2006, 20:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

That is why deploying the drones in FOF is so good. If the return fire fails its priority test they are forced to dedicate an entire unit's firepower to eradicate two free frisbees.

But yeah, on topic, the return fire can still shoot around the drones to hit the devilfish without a priority test.
Old 19 May 2006, 23:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
In that case, you would have to pass a priority test to fire at the troops behind the tank. If you are forced by some special rule to charge the closest unit, you can not distinguish between large targets and regular targets. You would also have to charge the tank.
Actually is this correct as the BGB would contradict this statement
Closed Thread