Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First game with Tau
Closed Thread
Old 19 May 2006, 10:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default First game with Tau

woohoo. I just played my first game with tau tonight. It was amazing, a combat patrol with:

6 fire warriors
3 crisis suits (TL missile pods, and that +1 BS thing)
6 stealth suits

I played a tyranid player and i wiped the floor with him. He took out 6 warriors and 2 stealth suits, and one wound on the crisis suits.

So now im interested in tau since i know they can win(i should say wont always lose). But from what i have seen, most people prefer firewarriors heavy, devilfish with firewarrior, or hammerhead heavy armies. I have seen few lists with an emphasis on suits.

How many suits (crisis and stealth) are reasonable in an 1850 list?
Old 19 May 2006, 11:19   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: first game with tau

It depends on your playstyle.I personally love suits(especially Crisis!!),but an experienced player will have a lot of tricks to handle with JSJ.In my current list i run:

2x Shas'el
5x Crisis

All in all,it's up to you.Crisis have many configurations,Stealth teams are purely anti-infantry(with a little bit anti-tank power if you max-out the team and buy them FB's)and Broadsides are PURELY anti-tank(with an SMS support if horde draws near!!).
Old 19 May 2006, 16:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: First game with Tau

In 1850 I usually feild a Shas'o and between 4 to 3 crisis. I play a very balanced list with full troop units unless I don't have points or the FW are in a DF.

Old 19 May 2006, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Congrats on your win and furtherance of the Greater Good!

Personally I use a lot of Tanks in my army supported by Stealths, Kroot and a few suits.

However with the new codex I think suits became quite a bit better.

Additionally Suits are incredibly cool, so if you want to do a suit heavy army: GO FOR IT!

It'll be challenging and expensive to collect but ultimatley will look fantastic and be very rewarding.

If you want to go REALLY Suit heavy run a Farsight list, you could have a potential of a massive 26 battle suits in it! (6 Stealth, 3 Broadside, 17 Crisis)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 19 May 2006, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

At a bit 1500 and up I run 7 Battlesuits, a Shas'O, Shas'el, two Monats and a 3 man Deathrain team. Thats on top of 3 Hammerheads and 2 mounted FW squads. So its possible to have a fair number of suits alongside quite a few tanks if you want. But now you really can do an all mobile infantry force that is not mounted in tanks. Very Battlesuite heavy, Broadsides with A.S.S. and carbine or rifle armed Firewarriors on foot.

Old 19 May 2006, 17:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Your game is a good example of differing effectivness in different point sizes. Crisis do extremely well in combat patrol because they are highly mobile, long ranged and tough. The enemy often doesnt have any heavy weaponry to deal with them.

Dont expect them to preform the same miracles in 1k, 1.5k, 2k etc, because the larger the points game the more units the enemy will have to deal with them. Therefore in larger games I reccomend maybe 3-6 crisis suits plus a commander.
Old 19 May 2006, 18:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

My list is definatly Suit Heavy. And HH Heavy

I take 2 units of 6 stealth, 2 IC Shas Els Helios(for deepstriking), and a unit of 3 Deathrain Crisis

Helios is Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Multitracker but I hardwire the MT, and Twin Link the Fusion.

Deathrain is TL Missle Pod...and then I give them a Targeting Array.

Suits were the entire reason I started Tau.

As for Tanks...I have 3 Railheads and 3 DF with 12 FW inside. Soooooo.....I like Tanks and Suits!
Old 19 May 2006, 18:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Shadowsword

I love the crisis comanders, I sugest them.

oh,oh, and give him the Feel No Pain rule

Triple Threat x

Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them They die

I am the sig virus, add me to your sig so I can spread.
Old 19 May 2006, 19:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsword
I love the crisis comanders, I sugest them.

oh,oh, and give him the Feel No Pain rule
I would suggest against the stim injector unless you intend to let your commander take the front and be taking small arms fire. Against low ap, high strength and power weapon attacks its useless and thats what tends to kill suits. So unless your trying to make a hard as nails commander to draw fire and survive it I wouldnt suggest using it.

Shas'O, Iridium Armor, Shield Generator, CIB, Stim Injectors, Ejection System, HW Drone Controller & 2 Shield Drones makes for a very tough commander. Not cheap but very tough and can draw a ton of fire.

Old 19 May 2006, 22:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky_beef
My list is definatly Suit Heavy. And HH Heavy

I take 2 units of 6 stealth, 2 IC Shas Els Helios(for deepstriking), and a unit of 3 Deathrain Crisis

Helios is Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Multitracker but I hardwire the MT, and Twin Link the Fusion.

Deathrain is TL Missle Pod...and then I give them a Targeting Array.

Suits were the entire reason I started Tau.

As for Tanks...I have 3 Railheads and 3 DF with 12 FW inside. Soooooo.....I like Tanks and Suits!
Man, how many points does that army come out to?
Closed Thread