Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategy rating 1?!?!
Closed Thread
Old 18 May 2006, 18:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Strategy rating 1?!?!

How is it that tau have such a low rating?what about all that kayon and monk'ota stuff and the maxims in the dex?youd think that the tau would have at least 2!
we must sign a petition and bombard GW with threatening emails until they change it!!

Answer: tomorrow
Old 18 May 2006, 18:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: stratagy rating 1?!?!

I have to agree. A strategy rating of 1 seems a bit silly, but not as silly as the description, reasoning, and justification of the game term Starategy Rating offered in the book. I mean, how is the Tau comparable to the Tyranids in any way, shape or form?
Old 18 May 2006, 18:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: stratagy rating 1?!?!

While I agree that Tau should probably have a strategy rating of 2 instead of 1 your reaction seems a bit um...

...extreme...

I'd suggest just house ruling it with your friends/fellow gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 18 May 2006, 18:44   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Strategy rating 1?!?!

I am not really sure what goes into determining Strategy Rating. I am also not sure it is really a fair handicap in game terms. It makes sense to me that Eldar should be higher or the highest, and Space Marines are known for being able to pick their battles. I guess Tau could be a 2 to represent their mechanized form of warfare, but the 1 could also represent their difficulty in matching the shear numbers available to their common opponents.
Old 18 May 2006, 18:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think it comes from what the species is doing as a whole, so imperium forces play games within games to their own ends (and therefore use much more complex strategies), while Tau only want to expand for the greater good (therefore only guided by a single, simple principle strategy).

I don't really have a problem with it unless it confers a real benefit to the player with a higher strategy rating.
Old 18 May 2006, 18:50   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I am not really sure what goes into determining Strategy Rating. I am also not sure it is really a fair handicap in game terms. It makes sense to me that Eldar should be higher or the highest, and Space Marines are known for being able to pick their battles. I guess Tau could be a 2 to represent their mechanized form of warfare, but the 1 could also represent their difficulty in matching the shear numbers available to their common opponents.
wouldnt the fact that the tau have less numbers and still can beat the imperium indicate that their tactics and strategys are better than the imperiums,as it show that the tau would have to be just as good as the imperium at picking their battles to win with their lesser numbers

Old 18 May 2006, 18:53   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
wouldnt the fact that the tau have less numbers and still can beat the imperium indicate that their tactics and strategys are better than the imperiums
Possibly, but that is also represented by how well you play the game. Strategy Rating seems to represent events occuring on a scale beyond our control.
Old 18 May 2006, 18:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's right, the scale. 40k is played on a squad skirmish level. Strategy ratings are determined by the entire race, far beyond what we actually play.
Old 18 May 2006, 19:07   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird III
That's right, the scale. 40k is played on a squad skirmish level. Strategy ratings are determined by the entire race, far beyond what we actually play.
wouldnt that means space marines, with their low numbers, would have a bad strategy rating e.g the entire black templars chapter is only 1000 marines.

Old 18 May 2006, 19:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Yes, but they are spread out across the galaxy and prepared to respond at an instants notice. They are elite assult troops, hitting the enemy's weak spots with their full force. That's why they have a high strategy rating.

I personally do think that the Tau, a highly mobile, swift, tactially minded army, should have a higher strategy rating. I'm just not really that upset about it because I've never used the ratings, so it doesn't really matter.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Closed Thread