Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marker Drones
Closed Thread
Old 18 May 2006, 16:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Marker Drones

hey fellow wargamers!
I was just wondering what units people would attach marker drones to and why? Thanks for any replies, I'm trying to decide.

Code_Red
Old 18 May 2006, 17:05   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Marker Drones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code_Red
hey fellow wargamers!
I was just wondering what units people would attach marker drones to and why? Thanks for any replies, I'm trying to decide.

Code_Red
Let's break it down:

Commanders: BS is already high, so networked markerlights are pointless. Takes IC status away. Vote: never

Elite Crisis: Slows them down, and they could probably benefit more from other drone types. They don't normally need to mark for themselves. Vote: probably not

Broadsides: They are already pretty slow, and they can benefit quite a bit from higher BS or auto-priority passing. Vote: definitely

Stealth Suits: It slows them down, but there are times when they will be able to use them to great effect. Vote: depends on opponent and army style

Fire Warriors: In a static firebase, these work very well. In a mechanized unit, it will be hard to find a time to use them. Vote: yes in Static, no in Mech

Pathfinders: Markerlights do not benefit from other markerlights. Vote: never

The thing about Marker Drones is that their biggest contribution is to the squad that controls them. Otherwise, just use normal markerlights on squad leaders. The units that get the most benefit are probably Static Fire Warriors and Broadsides.
Old 18 May 2006, 22:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I liked the idea of Marker Drones, but I find them too expensive. Maybe next time the'll include a cheeper non-network marklight drone which could be far more usefull.
Old 18 May 2006, 22:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Marker Drones are indeed very expencive. However the ability to give static units increased balistic skill or other benefits without having to use markerlights from other squads deffinetly has its advantages in static and hybrid units. A solid way to go as long as one doesnt go overboard.

Old 19 May 2006, 02:13   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I made 2 and plan to use them only with the Broads, and or static Shas-la.
Old 19 May 2006, 10:33   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yesterday,i tried out this:

12xFW(shas'ui with markerlight,HWTL,HWDC and 2xMarker Drones).-205 pts.Two squads.No PF team this time,but having the standard 2x SD teams 8)

I encourage all static/hybrid players to try it.Shas'ui can split fire and FW may benefit from networked markerlight.
In the end,you still have 6 markerlights with far more survivability
than PF's.And no need for DF.
Old 19 May 2006, 10:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

actually two marker drones added to a pathfinder squad is a good thing. by raising the number of markerlights in the squad to 10 (max squad) you are giving yourself a lot more chances to hit with the lights. yes, you can't use the networked ability to boost a markerlight, but you can for your rail rifles. and its just the matter of getting the extra markerlights into a unit that can take them.

so I have 2 pathfinder units, one of which is a normal 8 man squad and the other is a pain in the butt for my opponents.

8 pathfinders, one upgraded to team leader
team leader has: hard wired drone controller, 2 marker drones
3 pathfinders have: rail rifles
warfish w/ decoy launchers, multi-tracker, targetting array, 2 seeker missiles.

total points: 316

now thats a lot of points, and I would only ever do this in a large game (about 1850 to 2000) but if you think of it as two full units for that price it makes it a lot better.

normally I would get my pathfinders into cover before the first turn and make them a static firing squad, while their warfish goes out and hunts down enemy troops. its really a very effective fast choice in a large hybrid army.
Old 19 May 2006, 16:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross

Not taking markerlights is insane... they Do SOOO much and can totaly turn a bad situation for you around and have your enemy on his heels
Old 19 May 2006, 17:33   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have been thinking about a 'Foward Observer' Shas'El with TL MP and a DC with two Marker drones who markes targets for others.

Especially Broadside units.

Discuss.
Old 19 May 2006, 18:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Broadsides: They are already pretty slow, and they can benefit quite a bit from higher BS or auto-priority passing. Vote: definitely
I have to point out, that if you are able to fire the target you want with markerlights, the auto-priority passing is not exactly an issue, since the Broadsides are same unit, and can therefo shoot at the target anyway.

Otherwise your analysis was good. I might add, that in small games instead of pathfinders (who are quite expensive, I think 128 at bare bones) one could consider a full firewarrior squad with Shas´Ui with markerlight, drone controller and two marker drones.

This all costs about 200 pts, but will contain one full unit of Firewarriors and few markerlights. (sorft of like unit of firewarriors and 1/2 unit of pathfinders)

Closed Thread