Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fireknife Battlesuits-Not worth it
Closed Thread
Old 17 May 2006, 03:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Fireknife Battlesuits-Not worth it

No question, these guys are the most common and popular choice made by my fellow Tau commanders.

Fireknifes are definitely not the best battlesuit set up choice.

I'll start out by naming some pros and cons of these Crisis configurations.

PROs
Equipped to defend against just about every other army

Fairly inexpensive for the weapons

CONs
Too Versatile
-With this set up the crisis can handle anything, but never will have enough to do any substantial amounts of damage to a squad

Inaccurate
-The fireknife has a 50% hit ratio. This is too low for that much needed plasma shot, or transport waiting to charge you.

Instant Kill
-Unless you are willing to pour points into this (team lead, hardwired equipment, then shield generator) it will die way too quick. A simple strength of 8 weapon will instant death this crisis. Most Chaos and Sm armies will have 4 or more of these guns!

Built to take on an Army
Crisis suits just can't do this

So you can see that the Fireknife isn't the best set up.
Now I can't leave you here alone just realizing that your favorite crisis just isn't that good!

Here is an alternate setup
Lets take a normal squad of Fireknives
3x Plasma Rifle
3x Missile Pod
3x Multi-Tracker
1 Team lead with a Target Lock
Any other upgrades you may want- 'vre, bonding, etc.
-196+ Points

A great replacement for this is separating the Fireknifes strengths into two squads

1st Squad
2x Deathrain-Twin Linked Missile Pod
2x Shield Generators
This you can focus on those pesky transports, and there is no need to worry about being below 50%

2nd Squad
2x Helios-Twin Linked Plasma Rifle
2x Shield Generators
A bit more expensive than a Fireknife yes, but hits on 75% of the time instead of a lousy 50%.

You have also notice the shield generators on these two squads. You know what this means-Congratulations on the long lasting new Crisis suits! A chance to armor save vs. low AP. Another bonus with it being in 2 squads is it will make your opponent think more ;D Making a much wider range of tactica and strategies for you. You'll also notice that there are now 4 suits, instead of 3.

As I have stated before, Fireknives are set up to take on an army. A suit is no good when used in that fashion. They are the strategic biggie in Tau, and we must use them in this way.

So throw out those Fireknives! Gather some powered versatility!

Questions, Comments, Rants? Bring Em On!
Old 17 May 2006, 03:44   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Fireknife Battlesuits-Not worth it

This is pretty reminisent of Tonkatruckdriver's article which is in people's sig files and posted on ATT.

Old 17 May 2006, 03:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeisance
This is pretty reminisent of Tonkatruckdriver's article which is in people's sig files and posted on ATT.

Ha Ha sorry never read that one ;D Apparantly we feel the same

I've also seen many Fireknife based lists lately
Old 17 May 2006, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

i rather feel as though the fireknife is an indespensible unit in a tournament of 1000 or more becasue of the "user of all trades amaster of none" little bit. at face value you have 3 shots at 24" with the weapon and ne ignores all armor saves and the other has 2 shots and a higher strength. now as for the survivabitlity bit, we have JSJ so...use it?

Old 17 May 2006, 03:54   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I understand your point about being too much of an allcomers configuration, but in a tournament that's what you'll face. I agree with Lonely Tau about survivability you've got a jetpack to help keep you alive.
Old 17 May 2006, 03:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

What it comes down to is $. To effectively make TL suits, you need to buy two at once (unless there's some other way of getting the guns to do this :).

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
Old 17 May 2006, 03:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

With the new codex fireknife for me is just too expensive points wise. However in the old codex it was great.

anyway i only used fireknife on my commander so as to not waste the shots, i used a Shas'O.

now...just to many points for not enough goodness
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
Old 17 May 2006, 04:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've always been a fireknife user myself. I like the fact that it can deal with pretty much anything I run into (short of a land raider).

However recently, I have investigated alternatives to the familiar configuration. At the very least some deathrains will get a test drive in a few games. Maybe it'll be the first step in a move away from fireknife suits for me. maybe I'll stick with them. Only time will tell...
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 17 May 2006, 04:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I thought plasma+missile pod was a deathrain?

I agree with everyone else, in a tourny setting the versatility is great, better for a unit to be ok against all opponents than awsome versus a few and useless against others.
Old 17 May 2006, 04:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Deathrain is twin-linked Missile pod. By far the greatest configuration you can take on a Crisis.

Deathrain 4 life!

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Closed Thread