Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Does getting no comments mean you have a good Army list?
Closed Thread
Old 17 May 2006, 00:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Does getting no comments mean you have a good Army list?

I am somewhat surprised that no one has commented on my army list even though listings made right after have received comment. I do have views but no comments. Is something wrong with my lingo or wording? Please comment.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=25142.0

Thank you.
Old 17 May 2006, 01:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Devin
Default Re: Does getting no comments mean you have a good Army list?

Yeah, I feel confused when I don't get any comments as well.
Am I supposed to assume it's fine or that it isn't even worth pointing out the flaws?
Old 17 May 2006, 01:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Well, the army list forum gets little traffic to begin with.

People love to make criticisms, and often feel it's meaningless to post "great list!" or some such thing.

You also have an excellent format, which can be intimidating, especially combined with your exacting requirements "reasoning" "scientist" "no 'because I said so'" ... People like to Because I Said To! ;D
Old 17 May 2006, 02:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
Well, the army list forum gets little traffic to begin with.

People love to make criticisms, and often feel it's meaningless to post "great list!" or some such thing.

You also have an excellent format, which can be intimidating, especially combined with your exacting requirements "reasoning" "scientist" "no 'because I said so'" ... People like to Because I Said To! ;D
haha, thanks for the comments. Yes, as an analytical chemist, I really try to reason out decision making. Im stuck between the idea of losts of models versus hardened models. I wanted people to know my decision making process and to show that I am serious about my choices and that I am not simply throwing some list out with no great thought behind it, and none of it is BS. Thanks again.
Old 17 May 2006, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Generally, there are 2 kinds of army lists that get a good ammount of attention:

1. Bad ones that have some promising aspects of them. While an army thats outright bad wont get many posts, since nobody wants to just say "you need to make a new army", if you've made some mistakes but have an overall good idea, people will help you.
2. Your asking for help in making an army for a tourny/specific game against a tough opponent. Again this is a case where people can give good advice.

If your army is just plain bad that no amount of adjustments can fix, or is very solid and well made, people won't respond too much since theres nothing much to say. Like someone already pointed out, its pretty useless just to post "nice list!"
Old 17 May 2006, 03:57   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Basically, there is very little to say about that army. The volume of new posts in Army Lists is significant enough that a lot of comments are only left when your army is very strange, very poorly built, or illegal. In your case, you have a very solid and popular type of hybrid list in which you have already justified all of your choices. If you are ever facing a very serious opponent and you absolutely need some kind of feedback, feel free to send me or one of the other regulars here a PM. I don't get over to Army Lists as often as I should, but I am always happy to look over something for you.
Old 17 May 2006, 04:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Ask and yee shall recieve! *puts on his picky hat*

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 17 May 2006, 05:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

There are three reasons why we don't post:

- Perfect list. Nothing to say really.

- Total kln. Your list is beyond help, and we feel helpless when encountered with such filth. We loose a little faith in mankind, secretly thinking a chimpanzee could do better. You feel like they purposly made a crap list just to piss you off. To retreat in disgust is no disgrace.

- Looks effective, but too unorthadox for us to speak from experience/have the usual rules apply. I might comment on the more conventional elements, but your maverick enterprising spirit awes us.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 17 May 2006, 13:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross

I dont now i think i varies, the first army list i came up with and posted was straight ass and no one said anything on it for a long time, then someone came in and made a bunch of half assed comments so it varies.
Old 17 May 2006, 19:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've noticed that lists that get lots of traffic are an indication of thread-jacking. Most of the traffic turns out to be a heated discussion between the proponents and opponents of a unit that happens to be present in the list. 90% of the discussion is a flamewar over the general merits of the unit, with very little discussion of whether and how that unit works or doesn't in the army list that's supposed to be under analysis.

Good:

"hmmm...your firewarriors would be better if you bonded them instead of giving them a shas'ui because you have an ethereal. and you should make two squads of 8 instead of a squad of 7 and a squad of 9 so that you maximize the number that have to be killed to make them nonscoring. Also, your stealth suit isn't allowed to carry a rail rifle."

bad (but common):

"fire warriors stink. I hate fire warriors. Only take the 6 minimum that are required, and make the rest kroot."

"No way dood. They're the shiznet. Always take 72 fire warriors"

"nope, they suck. You shouldn't take troops at all. take drone squadrons instead, those can deepstrike"

"drones? Only an idiot would field drones. They just run away after you shoot a couple"

and so on...anything in that second dialogue related to the army list being picked apart? Nope. It's just an exchange on the general merits of fire warriors...which does little to help the thread starter improve his list. Unfortunately, it's the more common "discussion" found in "rate my list" threads. Another thing that happens a lot is people apparently not looking at the specifics. Just the other day, I read one where an IG player was looking for advice against broadside-heavy tau. One guy said "just max out on leman russes and you will beat any army"...yeah...against broadsides...brilliant (the advice that was needed against that specific enemy was no tanks, not more of them. The enemy in question had nearly a third of his points tied up in broadsides. What better tactic than to make those guns kill 6 point infantrymen???)

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread