Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Kill Team options: the vespid.
Closed Thread
Old 17 May 2006, 00:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Florida, USA, Earth, Sola segumuntum, third arm of spiral milky way galaxy, the universe.
Default New Kill Team options: the vespid.

A 12'' moving s5 ap3 gun. In kill team. Bye bye boss.

Is this a feasible idea or not? (I don't have my rulebook, but do the vespid violate any of the rules for Kill team?)

Khanaris: Rocks and pointy sticks are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and require little training, and almost never malfunction. That hardly makes them a perfect weapon.

"I know not what world war three will be founght with, but world war four with be fought with sticks and stones."
Old 17 May 2006, 00:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: New Kill Team options: the vespid.

Dont use them. Kill team has a points limit, and vespids are very expensive. Plus they can be taken down with small arms fire very easily. And even if they dont, they can get assaulted after firing. And thats assuming they hit with their BS3, and wound T4 with their S5. And all of that is assuming they didnt get mowed down before they even got within 12".
Old 17 May 2006, 01:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

In a word...
COVER

Cover saves all!
Old 17 May 2006, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I think jump infantry break a rule, no? Not an immutable one though.

Certainly they break less rules than stealth suits.
Old 17 May 2006, 02:03   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

Well lets see. nope as far as i can tell the only rule they will break would be a very awesome points value one (and even then) so a cespid is a perfectly feasible kill team. and exactly where do you think any brutes wil survive about 8 S5 ap3 attacks? plus you can charge afterwards

Old 17 May 2006, 03:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Vespid Kill Team of 8 and a Strain Leader is 150pts. Full moves and FoW through cover (go skilled flyers!) should make it good if you just be careful and do hit-and-run attack. Zip out through some cover, blast a 3-man Brute squad with 9 Blasters, pretty good bet they're dead, sure you'll prolly accrue some klaxons, but then next turn zip back through the cover you came out of and FoW to get some added distance. Just do that until the Brutes are whittled down to a manageable amount and then go for the gusto. It's not the "fast game" that it would be with most other units (since they can hand out a beating in shooting, but will die quick in assault, so you gotta keep 'em out) but it's more they're "style." Totally the Kill-Team I'm gonna use, because from a Fluff perspective, I could see them getting flown in specially from an Orca - or even a specially-modified Tigershark in the case of my Kill-Team - where they drop out at full speed and fly down to the target location. Once target eliminated, they can fly back to base, or at least a decent enough distance away that when they get evac it's safe for the retrieving aircraft.
Old 17 May 2006, 03:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Well lets see. nope as far as i can tell the only rule they will break would be a very awesome points value one (and even then) so a cespid is a perfectly feasible kill team. and exactly where do you think any brutes wil survive about 8 S5 ap3 attacks? plus you can charge afterwards
I'm not sure about brutes, but vespids have a suprisinlgy low kill ratio per gun, since they hit on a 4+ and S5 wounds the most common enemies on a 3+.
We'll assume a T4 enemy.

8 shots
4 hits
2.667 wounds

But yeah, against brutes they would do ok. Its just if anything goes wrong with them, they die very quickly and thats a loss you cant shrug off in kill team sized games.
Old 17 May 2006, 03:44   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

if you look at the "normal" stat lines you would see it is the normal guar bit but you would also probably rather hae fire warriors to deal with Imperial Guardsmen anyways there are plenty of units that can be used in kill team but Vespids are the best because after they shoot they can assualt

Old 17 May 2006, 04:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I'd definitely try them, just because I'm disappointed with all the other Tau KT options.
Old 19 May 2006, 00:05   #10 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

there was a WD aeticle somewhere recently with this, take a max size squad without the strain leader, and you will only break one mutable law.

also, the vespid are practically designed for KT, (FoW, hight I, nice gun)
assult a 3 man brute squad with the high initiative and they will be lucky to hit back

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
Closed Thread