Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fish - SMS vs gundrones?
Closed Thread
Old 16 May 2006, 13:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Fish - SMS vs gundrones?

Besides point cost, I cannot understand why anyone would ever put gun drones on a fish instead of SMS. The only reason I can come up with is that the drones can be detached and deploy along with the FWs providing 2 twinned pinning shots.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Can anyone help me out with this?
Old 16 May 2006, 14:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sp00k2552
Default Re: Fish - SMS vs gundrones?

Personally. I liked the gun drones a bit sence they had their use in the older codex.. Now its just an aditional 2 shot at 12 inched Twin Linked mind you.. for pinning.. and 2 bullet shields for the tau... Was cool then.. now seince piranas have them, enough for a real useful squad of drones take the SMS.. much more worth it.. I cant see anyone tradeing them in for drones.. I however play a 6-8 drone squad from time to time.. nothing like tying up some marines for a turn or so.. or makeing the drones intercept a squad that must assult the closest unit.. lash the fools to the dirt with your chains of energy.. They have their uses but not usually in squads of FWs especially when they have 12in range and are low in number..

So your right.. dont play them.. unless you have some crazy tactic..
If you want drones.. DeepStrike a sqaud or 2 of 6...
Old 16 May 2006, 15:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well the gundrones are free. While drones and SMS are the same cost on a hammerhead, not so on the fish.

They let you make a nice wide area of coverage for the FoF by deploying them, they ARE 2 pulse shots that pin, and there`s nothing like getting an entire squad to fire at two measly drones instead of something valuable behind them after failing priority.

There`s lots of ways to use them, and they`re dirt cheap. 6 of these little squads out in play off all your vehicles means potentially 2 or 3 pinning tests, since they`re different units!

And its 18", not 12.
Old 16 May 2006, 15:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

Drones:

Cheaper
Can Disembark them and use them seperatly (stop enemies from getting to your FW perhaps)
Drones pin
Drones are TL

Those are spme pretty good reasons. I would take drones on a Devilfish. If it was a Hammerhead...then yes...most likely I would take SMS over drones.

Devilfish=Drones
HH=SMS

Old 16 May 2006, 20:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like the drones, but mainly for the FW squads, as they help to make a backup barrier when I use FoF on an enemy unit.

As well, if the devilfish is blown-up, I have another unit infront of my FW to cause target priority. The extra shots to pin as also rather useful on some armies, where you can blow away the large portion of their troops and attempt try to pin the remainder.

Lastly, I use the drones to generally annoy, flying around taking sniping shots at troops and the back armour of tanks, generally being ignored as they are only two gun drones. I had a squad of two hold up a Sister's retributer squad for 2 turns in Close combat. Every game some of my drones tend to do somethign impressive. ;D

I do usually take a SMS on the pathfinder fish, though. It acts as a fairly decent gunship while my Hammerheads attract most of the antitank fire.

-"We hit that bullseye and the rest of the dominoes will fall down like a house of cards. Checkmate."

- "He who laughs last....didn't get it."
Old 16 May 2006, 20:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The major problem with devilfish in general is that they are non-scoring, so sinking more points in them results in a greater disadvantage in some scenarios.
Old 16 May 2006, 20:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you for the replies, just what I needed.

Anyone else?
Old 16 May 2006, 22:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Gundrones are free, that's why everyone has them. Also, GW doesn't give you SMS for your 'Fish and that's probably the second biggest reason why most people don't have SMS on their 'Fishes.
Old 16 May 2006, 23:01   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

well im actually all for gun drones on my fishes becuase they can cause target priority tests so there is a small possibility that the fire warriors get of scot free from enemy fire (or at least that squad does for a while) and therefore making the fire warriors more survivable. now the drones can also force pinning tests so there is that small chance of the opponent doing nothing for a while. that and the drones can be combat blockers (if they dont die during you turn)

now on the other hand of the argument drones wont do much against long ranged fire power and arent really good when comparing them to a BS3 S5 weapon that gets 4 shots, and requires no LOS.

all in all i guess the gun drones are better for an FOFing squad if you want them to survive for a while.

Old 17 May 2006, 00:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

people seem to be forgetting that the devilfish itself causes leadership tests... no need to use your 2 (free) gun drones as sacrificial targets, when the well armoured devilfish should suffice (unless your opponent has WAY too many anit-armour weapons...

if i had some SMS, i'd free up the 20 points to use it... there's nothing better for Tau than firing while denying your enemy return fire...
Closed Thread