Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Who goes in front, then?
Closed Thread
Old 15 May 2006, 21:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Who goes in front, then?

Hello, greater good!

I've been reading many posts over my short time here, and I'm noticing a trend. It seems nearly everytime a Tau unit is mentioned, the same argument occurs. Most recently it's been with pathfinders. It goes something like this:

Poster A: Unit X sucks!
Poster B: No, unit X doesn't suck, you just need to use it right!
Use it right by keeping it back. You at least want the opponent to take priority tests if not have a more desireable target overall. You're right, if you let the enemy shoot at/charge Unit X they go away quick! So don't let them...

But with all these cool units that don't want to be "closest" - Independant Characters with status, Broadsides, Pathfinders, Firewarriors, (seems everyone is on this list...) I begin to wonder, okay if my entire army takes one step back, who is left in front?

So I decided to open a thread to find out what other people do. What unit is best for front line duty for the Tau? I mean, someone has to be there. What do you use and why? Kroot? Hammerheads with high armor? Gun Drones? Rings and rings of fishes (ala circle the wagons!)?

I actually conceived an army last night that had the IC commander shot at by every unit of the enemy because everyone else in my army either was 1) too far away, 2) Ignorable for target priority (eg stealthed), or 3) behind blocking LOS objects (thank you JSJ). Kinda defeated the purpose of IC...

So what do you do? Who takes the hit?

-Aun'Shasta
Livin' in the Fish
Old 15 May 2006, 21:40   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Who goes in front, then?

I usually put my fire warriors in front i like them to be as close to the opponent as possible so they can get the hits in.

Then I move my battlesuits through and my kroot to take the retaliation.

I dont know why people say kroot suck because they dont i use them alot and they are good. Anyway I would do that.
Old 15 May 2006, 22:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Drones and kroot. They are the most expendable part of the Tau army.
Old 15 May 2006, 22:23   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like to put my kroot out in front. I infiltrate them into some terrain to give them cover. This means they die less from shooting, have an edge in any assult that occurs, and are hardly ignored because of their proximity to enemy units. Everything else in the whole codex shouldn't be put out on the front line or shouldn't be used to begin with. Even drones, they don't seem like as much of an immediate threat.
Old 15 May 2006, 22:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

This is the point. Tau are able to deny shots like no other army. It is possible to have nothing in the front and not risk return fire, at least until a weak spot in the line is made and everything can dash in for the kill.

I like looking across the board at a confused commander who can't really do anything for a couple shooting phases while I blast away.

When it comes time to take some hits, I like to either lead with detached drone squads (they're free) for attacking high strength weapons or tanks (they're tough) for stuff that can't really hurt them.
Old 15 May 2006, 23:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A unit of Kroot, Drones, and Stealths to the Eastern Front while a team of Kroot, Drones, and Stealth to the Western Front and everything else is behind them. Nothing in the Center.
Old 15 May 2006, 23:21   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

nothing in the center? thats an excellent way to do things

anyways i usually have just a single line of troops or at worst i have them where the terrain most benefits them.

Old 15 May 2006, 23:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
nothing in the center? thats an excellent way to do things
Nothing in the Center on the front line I should say. Two Hammerheads are in the center in the back. There is usually a Devilfish on the Eastern back and a Devilfish on the Western back to do a FoF
Old 16 May 2006, 00:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

FW that'll FoF. Kroot are always the best option though (and sometimes gun drones). If you are really feeling bold a crisis squad (probably command) with a bunch of shield drones, with Plasma & FB. Multitrack them and put the hurt on some marines from 12"-18". Risky but fun.
Old 16 May 2006, 00:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Firewarriors, Devilfish (especially the warfish), Kroot, Drones, Stealth Suits (depends), gue'vesa. These can all be used for front line duty as they either have the numbers or durability to take the oncoming fire and keep going and keep the shots away from more fragile units like Broadsides, Crisis Suits, Sniper Drones, Vespid etc.

Closed Thread