Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is getting the Ethereal killed a good tactic?
Closed Thread
Old 14 May 2006, 10:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Is getting the Ethereal killed a good tactic?

After reading through the codex the following tactic came to mind:

Doing a FOF attack in round 1 or 2 with 11 FW's and 1 ethereal.
Getting the ethereal killed asap.

at that point making sure that the rest of squads can fall back safely and regroup (this means bonding).
Presto: everybody gets the preferred enemy rule as in the Farsight faction only with the exception that it counts for any enemy!

Has anyone tried it? ???

Old 14 May 2006, 10:53   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to ShasoNaram
Default Re: is getting the ethereal killed a good tactic?

i have though about getting an ethereal and trying it myself lol that way i could have more fun in CC lol but the falling back could lead into some major doom
Old 14 May 2006, 10:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

no, because even if you killed off the ethereal, and you passed all of your morale checks, the tau would still not be good enough in hand to hand to make it worth it.

a lot of people have been trying to break this, but it just isn't going to happen. the tau are bad at close combat for a reason. no matter what you do, short of re writing their codex and getting games workshop to publish it, is going to change that.

so what if you have a really easy time hitting your enemy in hth. you still aren't going to go first with a few exceptions, and with your low strength the best you can get is a 4+ to wound (3+ against grots). its not worth it, just back slowly away from the ethereal.
Old 14 May 2006, 11:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, the utter uselessness in Melee makes the basic FW cost a little high despite the gun compared to scout marines, dire avengers, or any other troop with a similar save and better options.....

Either way, with our leadership values, its suicide. And even if you somehow magically pass with all your units, its still suicide. The only things we have that are remotely average at CC are the kroot, who are unaffected by this, and our commanders, who do not, however, benefit from power-weapon or powerfist (or force or any other of the upgrades everyone else has) style options. They're good at shooting though, and that's what I'd rather keep them doing.

Do you want to pay 50 points to run half your troops off the board and make the others potentially slightly less incapable in close combat versus conscripts and the occasional regular necron warrior?
Old 14 May 2006, 13:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak
Default Re: Is getting the Ethereal killed a good tactic?

No, see, this is great for static FWs/Tau. However, you need a bunch of upgrades to make it work. You need one squad in the fish, and the rest have 'Ui and/or bonding. Kill off the ether, but have some kroot that won't be running to back the squad up once its dead. Hopefully, bonding and ld will save the bulk of your army.

Now, most will try to use the Tau in CC. Do NOT change your strategy! All you do is continue to out manuver and shoot your opponent. The bonuses, however, force your opponent to think twice before running all of his guardsman up the middle at your lines. Then, your on even ground.

When fighting against most armies, the point of having WS 3 would be to give youself more time in combat to manuver the rest of your force. So while those jump troops are stuck in CC for an extra turn or two, it gives you a chance to swing around and get in position to shoot them right when CC is over. Or, one could give the FWs photon grenades and make it a grind-it-out battle that, though they would lose, would again buy you valuable time.

Against armies like guard or Eldar (NOT DE!!!) this puts you on their level in close combat and takes that advantage away from them. This tactic is ESPECIALLY good against guard because they would be worse shooters, even at CC, and have our LD, plus not be as mobile.

This also works against CC hoards. Shoot them up on their way, and when you get to the inevitable h2h, knock the rest down. This is mainly for nids (Orks, well, their just really slow). But, for Orks, this works a treat in tournys. In tourneys, the time limit has a habit of calling right when an ork footslogger army is reaching/just reached CC. So, with the slow orks, you not only make them waste valuable time with your ethereal, but when they finally get to h2h, they wont kill much before DING! time is up.

So, in lookng at this, kiling your etheral early is an effective strategy IF you are willling to take a little risk for a large payoff.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 14 May 2006, 15:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Shas O Kirua Kais Shi

I think it can be useful, depending on the situation. For example, if you play static Tau and are about to be charged, kill of the Ethereal. If you have a squad of three Crisis suits that pass the Ld test, charge with them. No one wants 9 s5 attacks that always hit on threes coming at them!
Old 14 May 2006, 15:35   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

For only 50 points, you can consider it as a lesser form of the old Ork Fighter rules when used with a mech army. If you have three or four units of Fire Warriors in Devilfish, they won't have to worry about the leadership test, and giving your opponent a good chance to shoot at the Ethereal won't be as hard. I can't say I would use this, as it seems quite silly, but I can see how it might be useful.
Old 15 May 2006, 04:04   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to ShasoNaram

Not all tau are bad at close combat remember that lol
battlesuits or even broadsides would prove to own alot with 3+ to hit and hey, ive done some funny stuff in close combat with fire warriors, almost killed a khrone lord in CC lol, would of killed him if i had preferred enemy
Old 15 May 2006, 12:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

except that with the exception of the commander, his bodyguard and your broadsides, all of your suits still have slightly worse stats than a marine. and no matter what you are facing (excepting orks if you charge and a few others that you don't want to get in to close combat with) they will be going first. also you have to look at the size of your units. stealths max out at 6 and crisis max out at 3 (again unless you are playing a farsight enclave in which it is possible to have 8 in one of the units) where as most opponents will outnumber you in size.

lastly you need to look at the point cost total per suit, my average runs over 40 a suit, sometimes more. it is not worth killing off an ethereal just so you can hit on a 3+, when you won't be attacking first. its just plain bad tactics and personally I view it as rather suicidal.

the best most honest opinion I can give you is to just slowly back away from the ethereal. either use another crisis commander as your second hq or just not take a second hq. you'll thank me in the long run.
Old 15 May 2006, 14:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau2war
After reading through the codex the following tactic came to mind:

Doing a FOF attack in round 1 or 2 with 11 FW's and 1 ethereal.
Getting the ethereal killed asap.

at that point making sure that the rest of squads can fall back safely and regroup (this means bonding).
Presto: everybody gets the preferred enemy rule as in the Farsight faction only with the exception that it counts for any enemy!

yes, and i succesfull beaten deamonhunters in cc!
Has anyone tried it? ???

In loving memory of Kangaroo Joe 1987-2007

May the Emperor smile upon him
Quote:

by Farseer Emlyn

This could be solved if only they'd give Space Marines access to Commissars. "I'm sorry brother Amaleius, there isn't room for you in the transport" *BANG*. "Alright, men, let's get moving".
Closed Thread