Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Decoy Launchers vs Disruption Pod, Why the DP is better
Closed Thread
Old 14 May 2006, 06:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Decoy Launchers vs Disruption Pod, Why the DP is better

Many people choose Decoy Launchers (DL) over the Disruption Pod (DP), but I find that the DP is a better choice.

1. Ability to Shoot
This is the most important thing for a tank. What one must realize is that every damage roll besides Immobilised will result in you not being able to shoot in the next turn. A tank can only make up for its 170 some points if it can shoot...duh! If any roll were to be made on a damage chart I would prefer a roll of immobilized.

2. DL only helps glancing chart
Just about every "human type" of army I play against has a lascannon. And many of them have 2-3 lascannons. Granted that these lascannons only have a 50% chance to wound you if they hit, from that 50% two-thirds will score a penetrating. This is in a best chance scenario where they are shooting at the front of your hammerhead. You would never want them to re-roll on a penetrating hit, because of the large possibility of getting destroyed.

3. DP helps more of the time
Considering we're outside of 12 inches (which any hammerhead should be), you are still in burstcannon range, so all weapons still have effect. As I have stated before a tank's power is in its ability to shoot. Therefore, I would welcome a glancing hit! When I can get an upgrade that will convert half of all the penetrating hits into glancing hits there is not only the higher chance of survival, but also it shares the same chance of being able to shoot.

4. Types
Now I can clearly see the argument of taking DL for a Fish of Fury, but not at all for a Hammerhead. A hammerhead will only ever move 6 inches to protect itself from being destroyed, because of the 12 inch rule for skimmers (page 67, 4th ed., rulebook under "Immobilised"). With it only moving 6 inches there should be no fear of immobilization, as it will be perfectly safe.

5. Circumstances/Armies
What does Tau love to do? Focus fire! We'll challenge anyone to a stand off shooting contest anyday. Say our Hammerhead gets immobilised turn 1. To beat us they still have to run into combat. Even though we do lose our nice line of sight rule, with the enemy charging, they will be in LOS for a nice Submunition shot come turn 2.

As I said before using a FoF then DL can be very helpful, but compared too DP on Hammerheads, Disruption Pods beat Decoy Launchers every time.

Questions? Comments? Rants? Bring em on!
Old 14 May 2006, 06:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Decoy Launchers vs Disruption Pod, Why the DP is better

I think your using your tanks incorrectly. A Hammerhead should always be moving more than 6". Now you might say that keeps it from firing but that is incorrect. That is what the multi-tracker does. It lets us shoot as though we were fasst vehicles meaning we can still move the full 12" and fire ALL of our guns. Brilliant isnt it?

Now the decoy launcher only gets re-rolls on glancing hits meaning a penetrating hit will never be effected by it. If you move more than 6" (you should always be doing this) you only ever get glancing meaning the decoy launchers work and DP is useless anyway.

Never, ever use a Hammerhead as though it were a russ, that just doesnt work. One of the main strength in Tau tanks is we can move fast and still let rip with a ton of firepower if your not moving more than 6" with a Hammerhead there are problems.

The DP is only useful if you are stunned or on the first turn. You want to stay alive even if not shooting to conserve VP and make sure you live to fire your guns next turn or simply to draw more fire so the rest of your army can have free reign. When coupled with the skimmer moving fast rule the DL is actually rather useful though not perfect for 5 points its usually worth it every once in a while. I would take both.

I hope that clears it up for you. I think you didnt know about the MT. Its an invaluable upgrade and should always, always be taken on a Hammerhead and I usually give my Devilfish it too.

Old 14 May 2006, 06:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

True but the DL only will help if you take damage on the glancing. The DP can prevent penetrating, and turn it to the less devistating glancing hit.
Old 14 May 2006, 07:03   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The DP is only useful when moving less than 6 inches and if you're moving less than 6 inches you're sacrificing a lot of mobility and increasing your vulnerability in exchange for increased shot output. But denying your enemy the points and keeping your mobility is usually seen as a smarter move by most players. You can make the 170 points back in a turn or so anyways, so usually I like to keep my Hammerhead safe for one turn so he can make up for his points later and draw lots of fire from my enemies.
Old 14 May 2006, 07:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Im seeing a lot of confusion here.

Look a Hammerhead is a skimmer but not fast. The Multi Tracker upgrade however makes it "shoot" as though it were fast meaning it can move full 12" and fire all its weapons. This is because it can fire 1 main and all defencive weapons when moving more than 6" and as both the SMS and BC count as defencive weapons the HH can still fire all its weapons when moving full distance when givin the Multi Tracker upgrade.

Now this is also important as when moving more than 6" a skimmer gets the "skimmer moving fast" rule which means that all hits become glancing.

That is important because decoy launchers force re-rolls when taking a glancing hit but if the tank is moving more than 6" every turn then its always a glancing hit anyway.

Now all that combined means that a Hammerhead can move up to its full distance, maintain 100% of its fire output, all hits are glancing and all of those hits that damage and roll an immobolized result are re-rolled.

On top of that if you give it the DP and the HH is stunned or on the first turn you still have a 50% chance of making any penetrating hits glancing.

Alright now I hope that clears things up. It is this ability to move so fast and keep up all of its fire that makes the Hammerhead one heck of a tank.

Old 14 May 2006, 07:18   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

There are two cases when the Disruption pod is useful: the first turn if your opponent goes first and when your skimmers are forced to stop by the "Crew Stunned" result. That should be it. Hammerheads should always be moving over 6" every turn if it in their power to do so. For this reason, multi-trackers are basically compulsory. In the case where your Hammerhead is not moving, it is probably gone. At least 2/6 rolls on the glancing table will allow you to keep moving, and the decoy launcher lets you reroll one of the results that would kill you.
Old 14 May 2006, 07:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Im seeing a lot of confusion here.

Look a Hammerhead is a skimmer but not fast. The Multi Tracker upgrade however makes it "shoot" as though it were fast meaning it can move full 12" and fire all its weapons. This is because it can fire 1 main and all defencive weapons when moving more than 6" and as both the SMS and BC count as defencive weapons the HH can still fire all its weapons when moving full distance when givin the Multi Tracker upgrade.

Now this is also important as when moving more than 6" a skimmer gets the "skimmer moving fast" rule which means that all hits become glancing.

That is important because decoy launchers force re-rolls when taking a glancing hit but if the tank is moving more than 6" every turn then its always a glancing hit anyway.

Now all that combined means that a Hammerhead can move up to its full distance, maintain 100% of its fire output, all hits are glancing and all of those hits that damage and roll an immobolized result are re-rolled.

On top of that if you give it the DP and the HH is stunned or on the first turn you still have a 50% chance of making any penetrating hits glancing.

Alright now I hope that clears things up. It is this ability to move so fast and keep up all of its fire that makes the Hammerhead one heck of a tank.
But Skimmers count as being fast.

Tau:
Wins: 8 Losses: 1 Ties: 0
Old 14 May 2006, 07:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

no, "fast, skimmer" is a fast skimmer. MOST skimmers are fast.

Monoliths are anything but.

Unless it says this somewhere I've missed?
Old 14 May 2006, 07:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

No, in the rule book it says that skimmers count as fast vehicles, because One: they aren't walkers and two: when they move 6" or more they take all hits as glancing! How can they be anything, but fast!?!?

Tau:
Wins: 8 Losses: 1 Ties: 0
Old 14 May 2006, 07:31   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Fast vehicles can move up to 24 inches.