Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Semi-Mobile Force: "All or Nothing" or "Mix and Match"?
Closed Thread
Old 25 Nov 2004, 21:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Labes
Default Semi-Mobile Force: "All or Nothing" or "Mix and Match"?

Alright, the title's the best I could think of for the situation.

Would mix and matching "mobile and non-mobile" Fire Warriors be plausible? Meaning, would it be effective to take two squads of normal (no transport) and two squads with a transport? Or is that just a waste of the over 150 points that could be spend elsewhere?

I've plotted out my armies for 500, 1000, 1500 and am working on a 2000 point list. Currently I'm at about 750 or so points, most of which are painted, but not near the 2000pts (which is where this question is from), so it's hypothetical.

So, would it be better to have all immobile (only word I can think of), or one mobile (firebase of 3 squads, and then whatever my squad of Kroot and Kroot hounds can distrupt, and one FW squad in a transport). If their immobile, I could use the points from the transports elsewhere ie. Photon Grenades for them, or another squad of FWs. So the real question, I suppose is:
2000 point game:
Troops:
12x FW (x2)
12x FW w/Devilfish (x2)
20x Kroot + 8x Kroot Hounds

or a variation with just one Devilfish, and then the points spent on... 11 Krrot or 8 FW or something like that.
or no Devilfish, and an extra full squad of FW or Kroot...

Small confusion by me, but basically a hypothetical situation... Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 22:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Semi-Mobile Force: "All or Nothing" or "Mix and Match"?

Personally I like the idea of having two units of FW in Devilfish's and then have 2-3 as a fire base. This way, you have two powerful flanking units along with whatever else you choose to flank with (ie, Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, Pathfinders etc) and an even more powerful fire base. One thing I don't see very often, is Tanks such as the Hammerhead being used as a flanking unit...they would reak havoc among the enemies lines!! Combined with a Ion Cannon and the upgrade that allows you to move 12" and still shoot, you can really lay down some serious fire power. I might try such a tactic when and if I start a Tau army.

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 23:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Multiple components would be absolutely delightful!

After all, unless you and your opponents set up what mission you play before choosing forces, it could lead to some very difficult missions: How is a static defense team supposed to easily capture objectives?

In this case, it's just a matter of assigning different missions to different parts of your army. The mobile elements will advance, capture objectives, growl, look mean, and so forth. The fire support elelments will offer supporting fire to the advancing units, knock out enemy firebases, flex their muscles, growl, look mean, etc.

The army here would be something of an "atomic" force, with the mobile elements rotating around the nucleus of firepower; if something becomes a threat the firebase cannot reach, the mobile arms reach out and smack it into next week.

(Note: In this case, "mobile" also includes Suits and infiltrating Kroot, as they start out ahead of the main body of warriors)
Old 25 Nov 2004, 23:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

right, this is IMHO the best way to play Tau, mecha Tau is vunerable to Anti Tank but semi-Tau gets around this by having the neccecary tanks but not too much.

a solid base to work around for 2000pts would be
Devilfish Squad 220pts
Devilfish Squad 220pts
FW squad 140pts
FW squad 140pts
Kroot 140pts
860pts
this allows for you to spend the rest of your points on tailoring the army to suit you, the FW and kroot provide a static firebase while the fish squads are the most versatile unit in the tau army, this imho opinion needs 2 HH to add more firepower to it and then sprinkle with a shas'o and some suits to season and you have an army
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 26 Nov 2004, 01:07   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Labes

Alright, sounded good to me, but when more experienced people think it's a good idea, it's what really pushes it for me . Thanks for the insight, fella's.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 01:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

thats what were here for ;D
go here
Old 26 Nov 2004, 06:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Glad to be here, Proud to Serve!

Old 26 Nov 2004, 08:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

to quote a sci-fi tv series "who do you serve, and who do you trust?" ;D
go here
Old 26 Nov 2004, 16:36   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If I'm going to take any braodsides I like to have one unit of FW close at hand therefore no 'fish is needed for them, but otherwise I like two units of FW in 'fishies for at least fast redeployment and or objective capture
Old 26 Nov 2004, 20:09   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

We have been playing an in house tournament for the last couple of months where we have a fixed army list of 1500 pts and I decided to go fully armored with the following

1 x HH with RR and Burst Cannon
2 x HH with Ion and SMS
8 x FW in DF
6 x PF in DF
6 x Stealth
2 x Crisis - Fireknife
2 x Crisis - FK
1 x Commander = FK

with mixed results. Against an experienced player with them getting first turn things can be bad - lost all three HH in first turn on one game, not a great start.
Against a moderate player and keeping two HH then it worked OK.

The main problem is being tank heavy is that if you lose one or even two tanks, either totally or just shaken then a lot of points are lost when they could be used on other troop. If I was to do it again I would lose a HH and look to more Fw or Broadsides.
Closed Thread