Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs Drop Pod/Deep Strike Armies
Closed Thread
Old 11 May 2006, 05:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau vs Drop Pod/Deep Strike Armies

My friend just started playing space wolves.
His army looks somewhat like this
3 Squads of 10 Space Wolves
1 Squad of 10 Terminators
3 Dreadnouts

THis is a 1500 point battle and I play static Tau.
I've never played against a deep strik army and was looking to hear what all you guys do when approached with this.
Thanks!
Old 11 May 2006, 05:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tau vs Drop Pod/Deep Strike Armies

Well I haven't played Tau for long, but I have played SM before. Only thing we all need to see is what you plan on fielding before any of us can help.

Old 11 May 2006, 05:20   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

strangely enough i played next to a game very similiar to this tonight except the woves player brought blood claws and 2 dreadnought. well from i could tell the tau got ownd most his drop pods came in on turn 2 cept for termies and while the tau player double tapped didnt seem to make a difference the wolves still had enough to assualt the tau with, which basically handed the game to the wolves.

i dont really have advise as its really hard to avoid drop pods and u really cant cotrol where there gonna land. forgot to mention this but the tau player had marker lights 2 they helped but not enough. its seems like tau r destined to get ownd by nething in power armor...try some kroot or vespids.
Old 11 May 2006, 05:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ill give the general synopsis of my list

FK HQ

3x FK
Stealth Squad
Monat Tank Buster

4 FW squads

2 broad sides
2 Railheads
Old 11 May 2006, 05:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by lube_skyhumper
its seems like tau r destined to get ownd by nething in power armor...
Bah Tau rock at killing Power Armor you just have to know hot to minimize their tricks.

First off make sure your squads are deployed 7" apart. That minimalizes his ability to sweep from squad to squad. Next concentrate your Firepower on one target at a time and make sure that at least some of your army doesnt get assaulted even if you cant kill all the deep strikers. Put a broadside to the right and left of your force and then I would have both Hammerheads stay to one side and the suits hang around the middle but probably towards the opposite side from the tanks. The idea is to give him something to draw his attention such as the battlesuits. They may die but you can focus your fire even if your flank is compromised you want to try and get him to focus more of his drop podding troops to one or the other side of your force and not spread them out. That way you can kill the fewer marines on one side and sacrifice the other part of your army taking as many down with you as you can. Then when he has to redeploy to go after the rest of your army you can pound him into submition.

Drop pods are very annoying but they are one trick ponies once the marines arrive they are suddenly not nearly as mobile and you can run circles around them. You are going to take cassualties. You just have to accept that and make sure to minimize them and make the most of your remainder to give those marines the whooping they deserve.

Old 11 May 2006, 06:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Are they really? One, SOMETIMES two (or 3 in rapidfire range) dead marines per turn from firing... Assuming we don't get wasted by them assaulting us, its a pretty even match... Unless they take, you know.. weapon upgrades (at which point we could start taking nasty losses before getting to 30").

FW's seem to be quite good against things like an IG platoon, but can't really hold their own against the heavier guys.

Oh sure, they can benefit from support. But so can everyone else... They have tactics like the Fish of Fury... but so do other armies. And while their gun's a little stronger, and can fire a tiny bit further when staying still, others have better BS or weapon upgrades or far better melee stats in exchange... Am I wrong in thinking they're so fragile for what they can do?
Old 11 May 2006, 07:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Firewarriors arent marines, they arent superwarriors designed to take a huge beating and still win the day. You have to use them differently. Plus the Firewarriors are not our only advantage and while the enemy gets support many times you can eliminate that right away. An all drop poding force for instance may have one or two fire support elements, well you have a guaranteed free turn to blow the bajeesus out of them and wait patiently for the drop podders to arrive. Once they do you take the assaults and when the smoke has cleared regroup and unload on one marine unit at a time. A single Firewarrior squad may not be able to win an outright gunfight with marines but 2, 3, 4 squads or several squads and battlesuits and tanks all firing together to eliminate the target will get it done. Take the clossest target out then as the others try and catch up shoot them down one by one too.

Its especially easy against drop pod armies for Mech Tau as even with power fists, melta bombs and melta weapons its still glancing only, they still have to drop in, they still have to hit, then damage, then take down. You might take some losses but the chances are if all your infantry are in tanks the enemy cant kill them and a battlesuite fits nicely between two tanks that are butted up side by side. Keep rear armor to the board edge and wait patiently guns poised. Its easy to run circles around infiltrating and drop podding armies after you get over the first shock of their deployment/arrival.

But power armor is power armor its everywhere. Tau may be better at shooting up light infantry but the fact of the mater is there are tons of marines out there and Tau most certainly do not get so easily pwned by marines. Or well it depends on the player but yea you get the point. Power armored troops are ones most common foe, know thine enemy and know how to kill him.

Old 11 May 2006, 07:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Shouldn't said marine squads be doing the exact same thing though? Focusing fire and making use of those heavy weapons for each squad to gather the kills a little faster?

I haven't played regular marines (I'm guessing it shows)... my chaos friend is using bikes and termies right now, so I'm not really facing any big tactical-marine heavy squads. Do they not use the same kind of applied firepower we do? one would think they'd sit there at 36" and force us to close in
Old 11 May 2006, 09:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They could sit at 36 and force us to close in... and should focus their firepower... but it almost never works that way.

First of all missle pods and railguns. These are sure to cause enough casualties to force the marine player to move in.

Second... pathfinders (after scout move). Markerlights will ensure that the marines are hit, leadership/cover is removed... and seeker missles... ooo those lovely seeker missles... Marines tend to forget about those... but the casualties they cause are enough for any marine to get steamed up and start running at you.

When firewarriors are all sitting in 'fish, and there are 3 hammerheads, 3 pirrahna zooming about... focusing fire becomes... difficult. Firstly, LOS. Yes they are skimmers and tanks but landing and hiding behind/ 6inches inside forest upsets people. Especially when Smart Missles are still hitting them.

Ive had games where the marine player moved... looked for things to shoot at... shrugged and said... 'you turn i guess...' Mind you, ive also got lucky dice

Because Tau are huge on combined arms... its difficult for an opponent to clearly decide which target is the biggest threat. The easy ones are the 'Heads, but then... those pathfinders are pinning me! And those stupid crisis suits with their 'run away' phase! HEY he just deepstruck and popped my Predator!! And the Skittle-like Devilfish! Hard candy-shell outside... sweet gooey softness inside... and those kroot!! How DARE they shoot me from so deep into forest i cant shoot them! MUST GET THEM....so many choices!

Im glad i play tau, mostly because i dont think id like playing against tau! A good tau player designs his army so that the opponent has a hard time shooting it and an even harder time picking what to shoot at.

cheers

p
Old 11 May 2006, 14:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Exactly as pravo says Tau are fairly good at forcing the enemy to give up positions and come after us and then they still need to try and decide what target to shoot at and if they are moving they arent shooting those big guns. Marines can try to focus fire but with the speed of Tau units we can do it very well and most marines are jacks of all trades, they can shoot and assault decently but cant really outshoot dedicated shooty armies and cant beat down dedicated assault forces.

Ive actually never seen an infantry heavy marine army. Such a thing would be the bane of my Tau army cause I just wouldnt be able to kill 70 or more marines but thats not what I see. Tooled out characters, Land Raiders, expencive terminators and even worse assault terminators. All things that are easy to kill with a few well placed shots.

Closed Thread