Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help with commander suit
Closed Thread
Old 10 May 2006, 12:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Jyco
Default Need help with commander suit

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I have a Tau army of some 500pt's.
I was wondering:

would it be a good idea to give the commander a 'Airbusting Fragmentation Projector' and a 'Cyclic ion blaster'?

I was also thinking to give him a HW-multi-tracker, Vectored RT and Stimulant Injector.

Probaly he would hit a lot, but my major enemy is Necrons. So he wouldn't do so much damage I think.

Remarks are welcome
Old 10 May 2006, 12:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: need help with commandersuit

CIB is beautiful... to be honest if I had to glue something it would never come off. Hell I probably WILL glue it if the magnet weakens.. (though maybe if I bring it to work and give it a little realignment?)

The thing with the CIB is that its great against everything that's not immune to it (T7 and of course vehicles; this isn't a rending weapon, though maybe it one day will be, sorta like how the rail rifles used to 'get hot&#39. Even Terminators, marines and necrons. its rate of fire means its great against medium and light armor (guards, 'nids) and its special rule means it actually does better than the burst cannon against the heavier stuff, despite its lower strength. CIB+Plasma = a very, VERY nice anti-infantry commander, who's dealing that sick funtime damage from his IC protection spot.

Ok ok, I admit it; I'm a complete CIB fanboy. the damn thing's never coming off.

AFP is also a very beautiful weapon. Its downright nasty if used right. However... its not just short-ranged... its also something that doesn't use that wonderful high ballistic skill our commanders come with. Choosing that as a weapon is a little bit of a waste if you can find yourself a spare Shas'Vre to give it to. That special little rule makes it particularly deadly against most infiltrator units who rely on the stuff to not-die... and its AP makes sure all infantry takes it the wrong way.

Stims won't save you from instakills, though you might be able to last a while against a ton of sluggaboyz. Vectored is nice, but takes up a valuable slot, and you probably want to avoid melee anyways. With a Shas'O though? I'll admit I'm a little scared of trying, but that could come in fairly handy... just remember you have to survive long enough to use it with your relatively low initiative.

If you're mostly playing necrons though, might be best to just stay away; I hear a lot of them don't give a flying **** about armor saves in melee... and they're easy to outmaneuver.
Old 10 May 2006, 13:14   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Need help with commander suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyco
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I have a Tau army of some 500pt's.
I was wondering:

would it be a good idea to give the commander a 'Airbusting Fragmentation Projector' and a 'Cyclic ion blaster'?

I was also thinking to give him a HW-multi-tracker, Vectored RT and Stimulant Injector.

Probaly he would hit a lot, but my major enemy is Necrons. So he wouldn't do so much damage I think.

Remarks are welcome
Welcome to the forums!

I like both of the new weapons quite a bit. I would never recommend gluing weapons on battlesuits until you have tried a lot of different configurations (and even then, magnets give you flexibility against different type of enemy). At 500 points, I am not sure I would load my commander up too much, though. He is still a non-scoring unit at the end of the day. Against Necrons , your eternal problem (as I am sure you know already) is going to be getting through that double save of theirs. With that in mind, I would probably grab at least a Plasma Rifle or Fusion Blaster, especially if your opponent uses a normal Lord instead of the Destroyer body.
Old 10 May 2006, 13:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

at 500 pts, you're probably not going to be bringing a Hammer head.

I'd recommend that both of those weapons make it into your list for these reasons:

CIB is good at BS5, give it to a target arrayed 'El

AFP is a template weapon... good for countering scarabs which he will likely bring to tie up your firepower (double wounds, and ignore cover/armor save)

The AFP should probably go on a separate shas'vre though for the BS reasons already mentioned.

Also, if possible, try to bring an XV88, or you may find youself outranged by destroyers which are cheap enough (relatively) to make an appearance.
Old 10 May 2006, 19:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ollie

gotta agree with Khanaris, it's best to never glue on guns, so you can change.
like the list, but maybe try iridium armor instead of vr thrusters. (a lot of people hate irid. armor, but it works!!!)

In loving memory of Kangaroo Joe 1987-2007

May the Emperor smile upon him
Quote:

by Farseer Emlyn

This could be solved if only they'd give Space Marines access to Commissars. "I'm sorry brother Amaleius, there isn't room for you in the transport" *BANG*. "Alright, men, let's get moving".
Old 10 May 2006, 19:28   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

CIB is good......the first time I have use them I loved them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 10 May 2006, 19:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I am of a different opinion than everybody else here on the CIB. It's too low strength for a 'El or a 'O. My commander is shooting at things that need to die and they need to die NOW! Nope I gave the CIB to the Shas'Vre leading my Fireknife team (the CIB replaced the Plasma Rifle) and the AFP to the Shas'Vre leading my Death Rain team. I have a Target Lock on both of those leaders so they can use their special weapon on the hoards they were designed to fight.
Old 11 May 2006, 01:04   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

The Commander is just designed to be able to take things out and the BS 5 means that they are just that much better at killing swarms if that is how you make them.

Old 11 May 2006, 01:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
The Commander is just designed to be able to take things out and the BS 5 means that they are just that much better at killing swarms if that is how you make them.
Yes, the commander is good at killing hoards... but do you want your commander THAT close? For me, that is a big no no! Actually, my commander is in an XV-84 (the Forge World suit with the Markerlight). His job is aid markerlight support... and light up transports with his missile pod.
Old 11 May 2006, 01:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

What 18" isnt close... my commander frequently is within the 12" area and many times even closer to his targets unleashing death with the helios configuration. I also run a shas'el with plasma and CIB who supports him with weight of fire. The CIB is a really good gun to have on the commander even with str 3 its not that bad especially with the off chance of being AP1

Closed Thread