Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do you do about people getting "pissy"
Closed Thread
Old 09 May 2006, 09:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What do you do about people getting "pissy"

What do you do about people getting frustrated over rules?. For example I run monat with all 3 of my suits in a 1500, player started getting angry. I used fish of fury, he said he was ready to leave.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Old 09 May 2006, 09:41   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: What do you do about people getting "pissy"

It is very hard to deal with that type of player. Sometimes you just have to let them go. If it is someone you play with a lot, it may help to keep the mood more relaxed before the game starts. It is natural for people to get frustrated and angry when faced with a difficult situation they can not see a way around. If you can joke about it, it may not rise to a boil. I still have to work very hard to keep a positive frame of mind when playing some types of armies.
Old 09 May 2006, 09:46   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Hm...what a sour puss! >

Personally, those players can just go. They don't really have the guts to try fighting. Although I fight alot of armies that give me a headache, but at least I try fighting them. That way, I will know myself and try to improve my tactics for the future. That, my friend is a way of the warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 09 May 2006, 10:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Why would they get pissed over a couple of monats? "oh hey look, one well placed shot and BOOM, I just got X victory points"... its not like the non-commanders get IC status... and even those tend to find themselves on the wrong side of a basilisk shelling...

Let the twink go; he's probably used to crushing everything in his way in turn 2 with some cheese...

I find myself having to deal with 'sad puppy eyes' whenever I target guard units with a hammerhead... Far worse...
Old 09 May 2006, 10:48   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

And I have to contend with 10 stormboys and 10 assault marins and a full squad of farseers assaulting my line everytime.

That really sucks when you play free for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 09 May 2006, 10:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

let him go and hey, sometimes i get frustrated when i play when the dice gods are against me so i try and make my misfortune into a laughable joke by grabbing a dice sticking it in my mouth and spitting it on the floor and point at the rest of my dice and say "now let that be a lesson to the rest of you" and it seems everyone else laughs. if he's a friend tell him to try something like that it releases the frustration and the next thing your both LYAO.

Old 09 May 2006, 10:58   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

It may be worth consideing why people feel that way...

For example, I refuse to ever use Decoy Launchers. I hate the upgrade. It is great mechanically, but fluffwise Tau "decoys" will do nothing against Lascannons, Gauss Flayers, or Bright-Lance... yet the upgrade works against them.

I feel FoF is a cowardly and dishonourable tactic, the modern Rhino-Rush. I do not use it, and scorn those who do.

As I said, find out why your tactics are causing trouble. I've faced FoF, and sent the guy's army packing in a matchbox. Just because I can counter your style of play doesn't stop me disliking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 May 2006, 11:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I actually always imagined the decoys as being launched right from the start; a little cloud of mindless gravitic engines with emitters, kinda like yet more tiny shield drones, deflecting whatever's headed right into the engines rather than absorbing it

When that lascannon strikes one dead-on, it might get reflected off into the fuselage armor for just a loud shake... straight into one of the weapons... or into the fuel-tanks/reactor (representing when that 4 gets rerolled as a 6).

Is FoF really as dangerous as a rhino rush though? Its not exactly a turn 2 Assault with full CC troops here... its just firewarriors getting dropped off. Mind you I haven't been on the recieving end of a rhino rush...
Old 09 May 2006, 11:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
What do you do about people getting frustrated over rules?. For example I run monat with all 3 of my suits in a 1500, player started getting angry. I used fish of fury, he said he was ready to leave.
Sounds to me you used standard tactics, and at least not an over the top cheese army.
If my opponent started arguing about relatively minor power-ups like triple monat I'd be wary of playing him again -it's just not worth the bother.

Point in case is objecting to FoF -yes, I can see Wargamer's point, but it's still a good tactic which demand a decent player to pay off.

All in all, I'd finish that game as best I could and play against other people in the future.

Play with fire - get burned ... play with concrete - get cured
Old 09 May 2006, 12:09   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
Is FoF really as dangerous as a rhino rush though? Its not exactly a turn 2 Assault with full CC troops here... its just firewarriors getting dropped off. Mind you I haven't been on the recieving end of a rhino rush...
Clearly.

Rhino Rush was a turn one assault. From 26" away. Or more.

It was a sick and twisted technique... and beardy as sin. FoF may not be as bad as Rhino Rush, but it is the tau's equivalent... and face it, claiming Saddam wasn't evil because "he's not as bad as Hitler" is a weak excuse... same with FoF and Rhino Rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread