Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Photon Grenades
Closed Thread
Old 09 May 2006, 03:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Photon Grenades

Hello, one thing that has been bothering me lately is photon grenades, are they automatically given with carbines? are they only allowed with carbines? or are they available to all who would pay for them?
Old 09 May 2006, 03:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: Photon Gernades

1. Swapping to Carbine does not bring photon grenades for free
2. Pulse Rifles can use them too
3. Anyone who pays for them gets them.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 09 May 2006, 03:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The grenade launcher on the carbine is for offensive use of the things. They're probably more like small shells than handheld types.
Old 09 May 2006, 03:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

You seem kind of new here, so I'll enlighten you as I was enlightened. There are two arguments regarding Photon Grenades:

One the one hand, they enhance the meager CC (Close Combat) of Tau Fire Warriors.

On the other, they are a points waste for something that doesn't do CC.

I tend to go with the latter; that is, they are a points waste. The Fire Warriors are the worst CC infantry unit in the game, bar none (okay, maybe the Gretchin, lol). There is no reason to enhance them with Photon Grenades, it's just wasting 12 points for something that's going to die fast anyway in CC. If you take 3 or four squads of maxed FW, that's 36-48 points; that's another Crisis Suit! So, think twice before taking Photon Grenades; they could be useful, but they could also be a waste.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 09 May 2006, 03:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The PG's used in the Pulse Carbine are not the same as the PG's you can equip your troops with. Pulse Carbines have grenade launchers that make the weapon a "Pinning Weapon". You can still equip Fire Warriors and Pathfinders (with or without pulse carbines) with regular PG's which are used in the assault phase. Just to be clear pulse carbines do not give the model the PG's which are used in the assault phase.
Old 09 May 2006, 04:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I see them useful for one thing alone: slowing down the inevitable. While some people do not value this tactic as much as they perhaps should, it sometimes DOES matter that your opponent takes another turn to kill your unit. In actuality, a weak close combat unit (even a moderately powerful one, like Tactical Marines) will take forever to kill a full squad of Tau with these things. As long as they hold their ground when they take the test, this tactic is rather nasty.

This basically makes a difference for a weak squad breaking your firing line or doing nothing. They are useful in a small number of situations against a limited range of enemies and, as such, I do not believe they are viable for Mech Tau at all...and while useful for a hybrid/static gunline, are probably not as useful as an additional battesuit overall.

Still, I think they have a very much under-rated ability to slow down the killing rates of certain enemies, such as horde squads that would otherwise overwhelm the squad. Just a turn's extra survival can mean a lot more damage.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 09 May 2006, 04:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

How can they not... Sure its not a wipeout but pinning is very useful... or rather it would be if 80% of players had less than "no fear" and ld10...

Locking down a whole with a measly pair of gundrones that got lucky is quite a bonus. Remember that every squad that gets a wound in with pinning weapons gets to force that roll, so the detatched drones off a full piranha squad are a great source of these these... with markerlight support to ruin those rolls, of course.

My only issue with giving carbines to, say, a warrior squad, is that I've already got 20 or so twinlinked carbines and a handful of rail rifles.
Old 09 May 2006, 04:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Um... were talking about Photon Grenades, not pulse carbines.