The Mothman's New Tactic list.
Closed Thread
Old 09 May 2006, 00:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default The Mothman's New Tactic list.

Drones of Doom -
Railgun Hammerhead, unit of drones.
Use the drones to swarm the target tank, covering all the exit hatchs, then destroy it with the Railhead, killing the tank, and all inside. (P.S a Penetrating hit will kill the passengers automatically)

Feeding Frenzy -
3-5 Piranhas with Fusion Blasters
Use the Piranhas insane speed to setup. Move up as close as you can, at 1 inch.Then, with all exit hatches covered, fire off the 3-5 fusion blasters, and destroy the enemy tank and all crew. (P.S a Penetrating hit will kill the passesngers automatically)

Break Through -
3 Piranhas with TA, and Burst Cannons
Find a weak spot in the enemy line (ie small units of 5+ armour save troops) and use the 15 shots to destroy that unit, to open up the enemy rear, and flanks. This gives you a huge advantage, and allows you to move your other (semi) fast units through the gap, and hit them from the rear, throwing all them in to disarray.

Horde Killing 101
The Ionhead with Burst Cannons. This has 9 shots. This will be firing those shots at BS4. That is 6 BS4 Pulse Shots, and 3 BS4 T3 Instant kill, Anti Marine Ap shots. That can move 12" a turn and still fire all that!

Fire Focus -
1 Sky Ray, 24 Fire Warriors with Warfishes, 16 Pathfinders with Warfishes.
Lay the trap by unloading the Pathfinders 18" - 24" away from the Target. Next, fire at a differnt target than the one you are Fire Focusing with the SMS. Next Turn zip up with the 2 Warfishes, and Unload the Fire Warriors in FoF range. Use the Markerlights from the Pathfinders to cap off Seeker Missiles at the target (or it's transport) and to increase BS, Negate Cover ect. The Fire Warriors will tear up any threat at B5, and the Seekers insure nothing is walking away.

Mothmen, or Party in T'au, and the Tau arn't invited! - (it works on 2 levels!
Vespids, Kroot.
Use the Vespid's fast move to move up to 12" in front of yout enemy. Fire away with the neutron blaster. Tne in the Assault phase, charge with the kroot, saving the Vespids from return fire, and the Kroot will finish off the unit, if any are still breathing!

I have a few more, but feel free to comment.
(P.S this is MY tactic thread, so keep yours out! > )

The Mothman
Old 09 May 2006, 00:59   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: The Mothman's New Tactic list.

well i like a lot of these tactics your suggesting but it seems like you would have to take away far too much of your army if this is a one trick pony, not that any of these are i just noticed that. otherwise these are rather potent when fighting a normal opponent. have you ever fought a genestealer infetsation list? a good little bit on them would be very well apprecited if you could.

Old 09 May 2006, 01:09   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Actually, the first two are even better than you gave them credit for. All you have to do in that case is penetrate the vehicle (the result doesn't matter) and the forced disembarkation will kill all of its passangers. Pretty nice combo against a Land Raider full of Terminators.
Old 09 May 2006, 01:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wow, I love the thought of the drones o'doom tactic.

Most of the time the transports are zipping to my lines anyways, so now the teams of gun drones from my devilfishes can lock the enemy in their landraider.... I'm gunna try that one out. ;D

It would probably annoy the hell out of some people I know.

-"We hit that bullseye and the rest of the dominoes will fall down like a house of cards. Checkmate."

- "He who laughs last....didn't get it."
Old 09 May 2006, 01:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
well i like a lot of these tactics your suggesting but it seems like you would have to take away far too much of your army if this is a one trick pony, not that any of these are i just noticed that. otherwise these are rather potent when fighting a normal opponent. have you ever fought a genestealer infetsation list? a good little bit on them would be very well apprecited if you could.
I have never heard it refered to as an infestion list, but I have faced all Genestealers lists ever weekend for 4 weeks now, and I have developed the following tactics:

Avoid Close Combat at all costs. If a unit of yours gets engaged, run away! Get well far away or you will lose everything in the area, as those nids will tear you up, even from 18" they will kill you! (damned Fleet of Foot)

Never FoF Stealers, as they can get around the the Devilfish with ease.

Now to tactics -
Stall Tactics:
Deep Strike Drones, and engage the Broodlords unit. This will keep the biggest CC God out of CC for a while. Remeber, Drones are expendable, so throw them at the enemy as much as you can! This may cause them to lose 1 or two stealer, and in an all stealers army, where each stealer costs generally around 22 pts a peice, that is a huge Victory Point score!

I want some Pie, Purple Pie! (because nids have purple guts...)
3 Railheads unload 3 Pieplates per unit, thus generally killing the whole thing. That will usually win you the Game, as stealers are expensive, and killing one whole units can mean doom for stealers, as the Rail heads can kill them way before they even half pose a threat! (Note, you can use 2, but 3 is recommeded)

War HOO Ra! What is good for, Absoululty KILLING NIDS!
The Warfish is you buddy. SMS will vape the Stealers from behind cover, and thus, they cannot hit back!

Pin the Rail slug on the Genestealer!
Use the Sniper drones (all 3 teams if you have them) to fire at one unit of genestealers. Use the markerlights to lower Ld for Pinning to 7 (or lower if you have some pathfinders or Shas'ui with lights) then you are safe from that unit for a turn, and you are free to blow it away the next turn!

Hope it helped,
Old 09 May 2006, 01:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman
Drones of Doom -
I like this one. But are drones fast enough? Maybe vespids would fill the role better, o that's a new one for them.

Quote:
Feeding Frenzy -
This is a good one too. I think it will be great against transports with only 1 hatch.

Quote:
Break Through -
Sort of just a massed firepower tactic, I think it applies to everything if you put enough pts in it. Throw in Marklights and then you might have something.

Quote:
Horde Killing 101
I don't think this is anything new. Sort of a straight forward unit.

Quote:
Fire Focus -
Sort of the same as Break Through, massed firepower on one unit. Interesting, but too dependent on multiple units.
Quote:
I have a few more, but feel free to comment.
I'd love to hear them ;D.

Quote:
Stall Tactics:
Remeber, Drones are expendable, so throw them at the enemy as much as you can!
I woulden't call them cheep, might as well throw FWs in thier, thier cheaper, even with pulse greanades. Woulden't kroot be better?
Old 09 May 2006, 01:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, kroot are better for the role, but drones can deep strike and can be detached from Piranhas and Devilfish for free.

Aye, Vespids could work well for the DoD too, but then is is VoD! (Vespid of Doom)

I am tired, so I will give more tactics tomorrow.

The Mothman
Old 09 May 2006, 02:08   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

Being a proffesional all stealer list i can approve most of your tactics accept for the drones and the sniper drone teams thing. basically i see that the sniper drones CAN pin the stealers but the chance is rather unlikely. i approve of all of your other strategies but im not really too fond of the concentrated fire power one (for reasons unknown). i will post some more later but for now HOCKEY (sharks will win)

Old 09 May 2006, 04:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

As discussed in PM, soon there will be a Tactica regarding Kate and I's secret strategy: The Fist of Bash.

I actually love your Feeding Frenzy ploy...I've seen it done with Bikes before but this is new and deadly.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 09 May 2006, 12:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good to have some positive feed back

Peek a BOOM!
Unit of 12 Fire Warriors with Carbines
Hide all but 2 Fire Warriors out of LoS, and fire with the 2 who are visable. Hopefully you pin, but if you dont, they move and rapid fire only 2 of your boyz, not even losing 25%! Then move away, and repeat. I have killed a whole marine unit that way.